Cherry Liqueur

Sweetened spirits with various flavors

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tennessee_Spirits
Novice

Cherry Liqueur

Post by Tennessee_Spirits »

It is not a great cherry year in 2020. My local Kroger was selling them at $6 a pound in one location and was out in another. Costco had them at $4 a pound. I bought 4 lbs and pitting them. This was the most work and I got mild hand staining. I got 2 liters of cherry halves. It took 1.5 liters of grain spirits 95% that is distilled from sugar and corn sugar fermentation, to cover them. I prepared the base alcohol 4 months ago so it has lost any objectionable taste. I added citric acid 1 tsp to reduce oxidation of the fruit.
It took only 24 hours to get a satisfying color. I'll let it seep at least 2 weeks. Then I'll replace the alcohol with simple syrup. Total time will be 3-4 weeks. A brief (4 weeks) period of aging in glass seems to take the rough edge off. I expect to make 2 liters.
My favorite home made liqueur to date has been blackberry. I let the alcohol do the work and I do not crush the berries, same as raspberry and blueberry. The fruit flavor is amazing in all three. It seems the more fruit flavor the better.
Last Christmas I started experimenting with liqueurs and first did double extractions using alcohol twice and syrup twice. The yield was high, but it was too much like cough medicine and I abandoned double extraction. I also gave up diluting it with water after blending. I can't tell the proof but suspect that undiluted it is about 120. Will a refractometer measure proof in the face of sugar content? Does knowing the proof matter if for personal use?
I've experimented with different blends of the simple syrup and alcohol extractions and find a simple syrup about the right tartness/sweetness blend. At all cost I try to avoid too sweet a taste. It is better to be strong on fruit flavor as I can always dilute it later. Or I can sweeten it later with fresh syrup (not yet needed) but I can't get back the fruity taste.
Bushman
Admin

Re: Cherry Liqueur

Post by Bushman »

If you are into liqueurs you should order HOMEMADE Liqueurs and Infused Spirits. I have yet to find a bad recipe in the book. My favorite is also a Blackberry liqueur, I used the books Double Raspberry recipe and substituted BlackBerry’s. Really good!