Noyaux?

Sweetened spirits with various flavors

Moderator: Site Moderator

anuran
Novice

Noyaux?

Post by anuran »

I've been searching through my old formularies and distilling manuals looking for Crème de Noyaux. So far there's very little. Has anyone here made it or have old recipes for making it in the Books of Lore?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Noyaux?

Post by NZChris »

A quick Google finds enough information to be able to make a first batch to start from. There are very few ingredients in the steep, then it is distilled, sweetened and proofed.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

You know, I did a batch way back and it was amazing, I didn't know it was called Noyaux though. I sure don't have the recipe I used, or remember much about it at all. I do remember I used cherry and token peach stone, base was a tight cut white whiskey. I'm sure I obsessed over the cyanide for weeks, but whatever conclusions or precautions I came up with escape me now, I have only a vague memory of some magical incantation that was supposedly most effective on cherry pits. It wasn't a drink I was rushing home for every evening, but made a great novel tipple to share and break the humdrum whiskey moonshine rum monontony.

I'm save this and maybe give it another go soon.
sweeps
Swill Maker

Post by sweeps »

Francis has a couple of recipes:

https://books.google.com/books?id=dM9IAAAAIAAJ&dq

You might also want to look up persicot, which is a similar liqueur.

If you are concerned about the cyanide issue, you can treat with silver nitrate prior to distillation. Or simply not drink too much of the finished product.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I just tasted a shotglass of a version made by a friend that is made using Loquat seeds. Unsugared, but still very nice. I wouldn't want to drink too much in one session because I don't know how he made it.

When I use loquat seeds or apricot kernels, I don't crush then use long steeps. I either crush and distil immediately, or leave them whole in the steep.

It is very difficult to kill yourself with cyanide from fruit pips and kernels, but if you daisy chain enough bad choices into your protocol it might be possible. If you do, you might be the first, because I've never heard of anyone managing to succeed.

The boiling point of cyanide is very low.