Conundrum on Spirit Dilution

All things to do with making of gin

Moderator: Site Moderator

Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Conundrum on Spirit Dilution

Post by Andrew_90 »

I have Odin's Gin macerating which I need to run on Friday. The batch is just too small for my pot still.

Diluted down to 38% I should end up with 14l.
To just cover my element i require 8l.
At Odin's 400ml per liter this amounts to 5.64l leaving a safety factor of circa 350ml before the element runs dry, Way to close for comfort.

The one thing I am unclear about is if Odin dilutes his 43% maceration down before redistilling? Also at what point do I calculate the 400ml? At the 12l of 46% or at the 38% of 38%?

So either I don't take off 5.65l and waste some precious Gin.
or
I dilute down further to 34% get 15l (and a 1l safety factor, but I hear that leads to an insipid product.

Thoughts please.
Last edited by Andrew_90 on Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
One too many wasted sunsets, one too many for the road.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Conundrum on Low Wines Dilu

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Dilute as needed (so you don't dry fire) and collect in fractions - blend fractions. Give yourself some headroom.

That would be my approach.

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Conundrum on Low Wines Dilution

Post by NZChris »

Odin is very clear about his method. If you don’t understand it, read it again. Don’t try to read into it things that aren’t there.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Andrew_90 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:42 am I have Odin's Gin macerating which I need to run on Friday. The batch is just too small for my pot still.

At Odin's 400ml per liter this amounts to 5.64l leaving a safety factor of circa 350ml before the element runs dry, Way to close for comfort.

The one thing I am unclear about is if Odin dilutes his 43% maceration down before redistilling? Also at what point do I calculate the 400ml? At the 12l of 46% or at the 38% of 38%?

or
I dilute down further to 34% get 15l (and a 1l safety factor, but I hear that leads to an insipid product.

Thoughts please.
You don’t have “the right tool for the job”. If your boiler is too big for the amount of wash you have to run, you either need to make a larger wash or get a smaller boiler. It’s quite simple, really. You’re trying to “push on a rope”, which it won’t turn out well.

Granted, you have a very fancy still that you labored building. It is quite admirable. But, often your questions point to the fact that you don’t do adequate research here. This “confounded question” is yet another example of such. You are not “prepared” adequately for the “tasks at hand”. And you come back asking the braintrust here to “bail you out”.

Bottomline, you need the right tools, be-it the correct boiler and heat source, the right recipe and processes, or enough knowledge and skills to accomplish your goal.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

NZChris wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:05 am Odin is very clear about his method. If you don’t understand it, read it again. Don’t try to read into it things that aren’t there.
I have read it more than a dozen times.

Take one liter of macerated gin at 43% ABV and distill it. Now everything I have read on this forum tell me not to distill anything over 40% ABV as it is dangerous. Why is it a problem to seek clarification on this important point.
Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

still_stirrin wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:36 am
Andrew_90 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:42 am I have Odin's Gin macerating which I need to run on Friday. The batch is just too small for my pot still.

or

Thoughts please.
You don’t have “the right tool for the job”. If your boiler is too big for the amount of wash you have to run, you either need to make a larger wash or get a smaller boiler. It’s quite simple, really. You’re trying to “push on a rope”, which it won’t turn out well.

Granted, you have a very fancy still that you labored building. It is quite admirable. But, often your questions point to the fact that you don’t do adequate research here. This “confounded question” is yet another example of such. You are not “prepared” adequately for the “tasks at hand”. And you come back asking the braintrust here to “bail you out”.

Bottomline, you need the right tools, be-it the correct boiler and heat source, the right recipe and processes, or enough knowledge and skills to accomplish your goal.
ss
The still you refer to is a 50l CCVM which clearly will not be used for the run. I have the 30l Pot Still that I am trying to use rather than doing three batches in my 6l pot still.

I am prepared for the task at hand and looking for no bailout. If you cannot appeal to a forum for assistance what is the purpose of the forum? More often than not I seek to know if my understanding of the matters that I research is correct. There are mountains of information that require digesting and often times one gets confused with all the information.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Can you access the inside of the boiler? Put in something to take up some space?
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Andrew_90 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:09 am
NZChris wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:05 am Odin is very clear about his method. If you don’t understand it, read it again. Don’t try to read into it things that aren’t there.
I have read it more than a dozen times.

Take one liter of macerated gin at 43% ABV and distill it. Now everything I have read on this forum tell me not to distill anything over 40% ABV as it is dangerous. Why is it a problem to seek clarification on this important point.
I have never had a problem when following Odin's simple method. If you want to complicate it by doing something else, go for it.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If the height of the element is unsuitable, heat from below, move the element, or use a more suitable still like the 6l one you have.
Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

@NZChris. So my question still remains, do you distill with 43% ABV in your boiler?
Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

I am going to use the 30l boiler but will operate it with my gas burner to take the element out of play.

Many thanks for all the responses.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Andrew_90 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:49 am @NZChris. So my question still remains, do you distill with 43% ABV in your boiler?
Odin's method is here: https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 14&t=48668
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

Dilute the low wines. Run it and report back with your results so that we can all learn from it.
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Andrew_90 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:17 am rather than doing three batches in my 6l pot still.
A 4-5L batch in the small Still would have been my choice, a bigger batch is a lot to drink if you deiced you don't like it.
Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

NZChris wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:41 pm
Andrew_90 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:49 am @NZChris. So my question still remains, do you distill with 43% ABV in your boiler?
Odin's method is here: https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 14&t=48668
I am aware of where the recipe is, have read it enough times.

So to the letter of the law I will do the spirit run at 43% ABV using a gas flame. Seems to fly in the face of the safety advice of the forum.

I will stop flogging this dead horse.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Man , just run it at 43% .
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Another method is to insert something inside the boiler that makes volume, for example a small pot filled with water and covered, in this way the external liquid will rise in level.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I've run it diluted below 43% (don't remember how low but maybe 30-35%??) - collected in fractions and blended to taste.. It was fine but arguably not T&T OEG to the letter...

Btw, Low Wines refers to the output of a strip run which you wouldn't want to use in an OEG. You use cut neutral (clean and proofed down to 43%) as your base spirit.

Cheers!
-jonny
————
————
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Demy wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:55 pm Another method is to insert something inside the boiler that makes volume, for example a small pot filled with water and covered, in this way the external liquid will rise in level.
Heat rises. Anything that obstructs convection currents may not work as well as you hoped it would. Check the temperature of the bottom of the boiler.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

NZChris wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:37 pm
Demy wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:55 pm Another method is to insert something inside the boiler that makes volume, for example a small pot filled with water and covered, in this way the external liquid will rise in level.
Heat rises. Anything that obstructs convection currents may not work as well as you hoped it would. Check the temperature of the bottom of the boiler.
Good point.

Sit Demy's space taker on a rack to keep it off the bottom and allow convection.

Geoff
The Baker
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Or a brick or three? Sand? Pebbles?

Broken gin bottles - A message in spirit to the big producers!

Cheers,
jonny
————
————
Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:15 pm I've run it diluted below 43% (don't remember how low but maybe 30-35%??) - collected in fractions and blended to taste.. It was fine but arguably not T&T OEG to the letter...
I have since made contact with Odin and I quote, "But this is why the 43% is important. 43 and above makes sure all flavors are extracted during the maceration period. For ease of sake, I now extract at 60%. In all cases, I dilute to 30% before starting the run. That gives a nice and mellow gin. If you redistill at 43%, the outcome will be a drier gin."

I am glad to have that clarification.
Btw, Low Wines refers to the output of a strip run which you wouldn't want to use in an OEG. You use cut neutral (clean and proofed down to 43%) as your base spirit.
Thanks for pointing that out. Mine is indeed a neutral proofed down to 46% so base spirit it is.

Thanks
Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

Following on Odin's 30% dilution rate I can now dilute sufficiently to use the 30l keg with electric element.

Many thanks for all the input. All suggestions noted and stored in the memory banks.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Keep an eye on the temperature at the base of the still towards the end of the run. If it is lower than above the element, you may be missing out on flavor and alcohol.
Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

NZChris wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:57 pm Keep an eye on the temperature at the base of the still towards the end of the run. If it is lower than above the element, you may be missing out on flavor and alcohol.
Noted thanks Chris. The element housing gets real soft from annealing after a couple of runs. I gently bent the element towards the bas e of the boiler which should improve matters.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

NZChris wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:37 pm
Certainly Chris, I meant relieved from the bottom, I should have specified that you're right ...
Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Re: Conundrum on Spirit Dilution

Post by Andrew_90 »

I'm going nuts.

After my reflex run I diluted down to 46% (I know higher than the 43% for Odins gin) this was to fit it into 3 identical 4l bottles for maceration. The distillate was mixed up in one batch using distilled water to bring it down to 46%. The bottles were equally filled and then botanicals added. They we macerated for 13 days. I checked and rechecked the ABV

This morning I calculated that I would need 4 174ml to dilute 12 000ml @ 46% to 30%. The reality was that I ended up adding 6 000ml to get down to 30%.

So either my initial readings were incorrect or my latter readings were incorrect. I do numerous checks so I fail to see how that can be.

Any ideas.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

12,000ml at 46% needs to made up to 18,400ml to dilute it to 30%. Failure to allow for temperature at any point will result in errors.

You can't do this by simply adding 6,400ml. You have to either make it up to 18,400ml by adding as much water as it takes to get to 30% and 18,400ml, or by using TTB Table 6 to calculate how much water to add. There is an accurate online calculator that was linked to recently, but I didn't bookmark it as I find the TTB Table easy to use. A search should find it.
Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

Thanks,

I was using the linear calculator which is not close enough so that was my problem, lack of knowledge.

I have tried to use the tables to get to 6 400ml But I can't.

I have found an online calculator.
Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

Spent the day running Gin.

12l diluted to 18l at 30%
Nice slow run 800ml per hour.
Took off the regulation 4.8l as per Odin's recipe. This yield was at 80% ABV, higher than I anticipated.
Then decided to run deeper so took a further 4 fractions at 250ml each. 65 / 62 / 61 and 58% AVB respectfully.

Diluted two samples, the 80% and the final fraction the 58%. I was curious to see what the recipe was leaving behind.

Poured two identical drinks from each, each a double with ice and Tonic Water.

The latter of the two had some really nice notes and while I was considering discarding the last 4 fractions I decided to include these into my run due to the complex flavour's.

Very Tangerine forward but still most quaffable. I will cut back greatly on the Tangerine next time. Perhaps not for everyone and a lot of home town bias.