Creating gin using flavourings vs Botanicals

All things to do with making of gin

Moderator: Site Moderator

Asos21
Bootlegger

Creating gin using flavourings vs Botanicals

Post by Asos21 »

Has anyone got any experience of using synthetic or natural concentrated flavourings for crafting gin from the neutral? Compared to using Botanicals during distillation?

From some research it seems that hendricks use cucumber and rose concentrated flavouring which is actually added post distillation.

It also seems like a good way to incorporate flavours which don't transfer well such as black pepper. Which rarely comes through as peppery after distilling.

Just curious if the flavours muddle more or if they fade over time and what success people have had using flavourings.

I did discover today that herbal tea makes excellent gin. Made a great gin from pukka Elderflower and strawberry tea today.
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Creating gin using flavourings vs Botanicals

Post by howie »

when using the tea, did any astringency come through?
i've used tea when making cider, but i would have thought the tanins wouldn't be good in gin.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Asos21 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:50 am From some research it seems that hendricks use cucumber and rose concentrated flavouring which is actually added post distillation.
I bet they don't. It's much more likely that they make their own cucumber and rose essences by distillation, the same way I did.
Asos21
Bootlegger

Post by Asos21 »

howie wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:17 pm when using the tea, did any astringency come through?
i've used tea when making cider, but i would have thought the tanins wouldn't be good in gin.
No astringency whatsoever but I maybe should have been more clear. The tea I'm talking about didn't actually contain tea or tannins.

A lot of these herbal teas now are just Botanicals. The one I used was literally just Elderflower, strawberry and a couple of other Botanicals but no tea as such.

Green tea does add a lovely earthy grass tone to gin though!
Asos21
Bootlegger

Post by Asos21 »

NZChris wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:20 pm
Asos21 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:50 am From some research it seems that hendricks use cucumber and rose concentrated flavouring which is actually added post distillation.
I bet they don't. It's much more likely that they make their own cucumber and rose essences by distillation, the same way I did.
Is their any particular thing wrong with using concentrated flavourings in gin? I honestly don't know and I'm just exploring the idea.

Can you tell me please how you make the rose and cucumber essence Chris? Just curious if it's a concentrated essence and what proportions you use thanks!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Put the botanical in the boiler or basket with neutral and run it. Blend your result with the rest of your gin to get the intensity you desire. I can't give you proportions because we are not using using the same cucumbers and roses.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Asos21 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:12 am The tea I'm talking about didn't actually contain tea or tannins.
So really its like the yuppy vegan bacon that contains no bacon, and the almond / soy milk that doesn't come from the the Mammalia class of critters? :?
Asos21
Bootlegger

Post by Asos21 »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:19 am
Asos21 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:12 am The tea I'm talking about didn't actually contain tea or tannins.
So really its like the yuppy vegan bacon that contains no bacon, and the almond / soy milk that doesn't come from the the Mammalia class of critters? :?
I'm no veggie but the vegan bacon is actually pretty good. And almond milk makes a divine cappuccino
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

You're proposing to make a compound gin.

Look it up, it's a very old way of doing it, although it's regarded as inferior to distilled and London dry gin.

I've never tried making gin this way, but perhaps with the proper term you can find more leads?
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

NZChris wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:46 am Put the botanical in the boiler or basket with neutral and run it. Blend your result with the rest of your gin to get the intensity you desire. I can't give you proportions because we are not using using the same cucumbers and roses.
Hey Chris,
I gather you use dried or dehydrated cucumbers for this? what proportions do you include per neutral in the boiler ... I know I would need to calibrate with our own cucumber varieties here so I am just looking for an order of magnitude.
-- Rrmuf
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Rrmuf wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:30 am Hey Chris,
I gather you use dried or dehydrated cucumbers for this? what proportions do you include per neutral in the boiler ... I know I would need to calibrate with our own cucumber varieties here so I am just looking for an order of magnitude.
Two 8" cucumbers sliced into 1/4" thick rings.
Sundried for a day, turning once. Leathery, not really dehydrated.
Ran with 500ml triple distilled wheat bran at 40%
No foreshot removed.
Finished up with 225ml of 69.4%
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Thanks Chris. It might end up being my first "essence"
-- Rrmuf