Gin Basket

All things to do with making of gin

Moderator: Site Moderator

sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Gin Basket

Post by sltm1 »

I've been reading up on different methods and would like some input. I'm a pagan, I love the flavor juniper, smoking for 50+ years has limited my ability to enjoy the "floral notes' of other botanical's so I just use juniper with some coriander. I macerated my last (and 1st) batch and it came out "ok", but not overwhelmingly gin-like, this time I want to use a basket and am wondering if mounting it in the thumper under the line to the condenser will give me a fuller flavor rather than any other method like mounting under the pot riser etc??
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
rubber duck
retired

Re: Gin Basket

Post by rubber duck »

First to answer your question, I have not done a gin basket inside of a thumper, I would be surprised if anyone has. I would venture to guess that it would produce a lighter flavor as you would get a high proof alcohol that would then need to be watered down. On the other hand you would be hitting the juniper with a stronger solvent so....

Why not try doing a maceration and a basket together? I've not done that either but I would bet it makes a gin so strong it would take the enamel off your teeth.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Gin Basket

Post by Saltbush Bill »

sltm1 wrote:moking for 50+ years has limited my ability to enjoy the "floral notes' of other botanical's so I just use juniper with some coriander.
Quantity and selection of the right botanicals is important, I doubt your going to get a great gin just from Juniper and Coriander alone. Or do you mean that you cant smell / taste the juniper. If that is the case you need more juniper in the mix. 30 grams of crushed berrys per 2 L of neutral spirit would be a good place to start.
sltm1 wrote:this time I want to use a basket and am wondering if mounting it in the thumper under the line to the condenser will give me a fuller flavor
No other method of making gin will give you a bolder flavor profile that maceration and running through a small pot still in my opinion. I think you will be disappointed in the out come using other methods.