Scaling botanicals for a larger run.

All things to do with making of gin

Moderator: Site Moderator

dmacnz
Novice

Scaling botanicals for a larger run.

Post by dmacnz »

Hi,

I would love some advise on how different botanicals scale up.

I have finally made a gin recipe that I'm really liking. (6th attempts isn't bad)!
Throughout my development I have been only using 0.8L of ethanol with 2L of water in a 30L still. I am vapor infusing all of my botanicals.
I'm 100% aware that nothing is linear and that getting the exact same flavors when I scale up to a full 30L still isn't overly realistic.
However.....

Does anyone have any rules of thumbs about which botanicals should be scaled slightly less or more than others?

My recipe contains, Juniper, Coriander, Angelica root, grains of paradise, rose pedals, grapefruit skin, cardamom and licorice root.

I would love to have time to trial scaling it until I find the sweet spot. But I need to get a bigger run day asap for a Christmas charity event! (Perks of a country with limited rules).

Thanks
Dan
Bushman
Admin

Re: Scaling botanicals for a larger run.

Post by Bushman »

Got this information at a hands on conference from one of the top distilleries in the US>
viewtopic.php?f=106&t=48221
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

The rules in this country let you make liquor for personal consumption.
dmacnz
Novice

Post by dmacnz »

NZChris wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:49 am The rules in this country let you make liquor for personal consumption.
Not living in Nz at the mo!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I don't know that size makes as much difference as you expect it does.

If I'm doing a gin distillation that takes a long time in large commercial stills, I keep the power low and take a long time to complete the run. It's not as long as the commercials do, but a long time compared to my basic, simple, gin runs that get rave reviews from anyone fortunate enough to sample what I make.
dmacnz
Novice

Post by dmacnz »

NZChris wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:13 pm I don't know that size makes as much difference as you expect it does.

If I'm doing a gin distillation that takes a long time in large commercial stills, I keep the power low and take a long time to complete the run. It's not as long as the commercials do, but a long time compared to my basic, simple, gin runs that get rave reviews from anyone fortunate enough to sample what I make.
Cheers Chris. Will have to let me know where I can try it once I can get back into Nz!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

dmacnz wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:23 pm Cheers Chris. Will have to let me know where I can try it once I can get back into Nz!
That's easy. I don't tell and don't sell, so you're out of luck :D