Collection Amount if the boiler charge is @30 ABV

All things to do with making of gin

Moderator: Site Moderator

artooks
Trainee

Collection Amount if the boiler charge is @30 ABV

Post by artooks »

Hi,

I am trying to experiment with new gin recipes, I am mainly folloıwing OEG procedure and with the amout of botanicals I am following Zynurgy Bobs formulations, but there is one thing that I am really wondering, if I choose to macerate all the herbs @45 ABV for 24 hrs and if I choose to distill @30 ABV would the 400 ml collections of OEG still counts or in that case I have to check the distillate abc for example 45 ABV I shut the still, basically what I am asking is if I distill at 30 or 35 or X how will I determine the end of the run, would it be ok if I choose to do it with smell and ABV ?
Because I am in the impression that since the charge ABV is going to be dropped from 43 to 30 then the collection rate of 400 ml should increase accordingly, so I would like to get your opinions on this situation. Thanks
silverbean
Novice
Location: Downunder If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes.

Re: Collection Amount if the boiler charge is @30 ABV

Post by silverbean »

Don't know much about Gin but in my little pot still if I run 40% low wines the output starts at about 81% but if I run 30% low wines I start at about 79%. Not much difference. Of course if it starts higher it holds high longer.