Variation of botanicals on OEG that worked out nicely....

All things to do with making of gin

Moderator: Site Moderator

Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Variation of botanicals on OEG that worked out nicely....

Post by Rrmuf »

Hi,

I originally posted this in the EOG topic and someone pointed out it should be reposted here, so apologies for the repeat if you read it there. First off, I loved the OEG method and full kudos to Oding there!!!!, Is it ever nice!!!! This was my fourth attempt at it, increasing the volume, correcting my execution and editing botanicals along the way and it feels like it is nailed! A few of us tasted it the other night, sand sisnce ... a few days after settling and we were all blown away! I can't wait to see how it is going to be in a few weeks.

I did the Gin run on:
- a boiler load of 13l of neutrals
- Neutrals were selected from a spirit run of a 22l load from a set of stripped TedFFV washes.
- Botanicals macerated for 2.5 days (just because that is what was convenient) included:
- 230g of cracked juniper berries (NB. locally picked :thumbup: )
- 80g of cracked coriander seed
- 20g of Angelica root
- 20g of Grain of Paradise
- 10g of Licorice Root (powdered)
- 10g of orange peel (fresh, washed, no white pith) --- I actually cut this down from my last batch.
- 2g of cardamom seed (slightly pulverized)
- 2g of lavender flowers
- 2g of orris root
That amounted to ~30g / litre so within the guidelines suggested I think.

After initial (2.5day) maceration, I poured the load through a muslin bag into my boiler. Lots of the finer stuff made it through but the berries and alot of the seeds was held in the bag and I hung it in the liquid keeping away from the internal element (1700w) ...it more or less succeeded but this seemed the sketchiest part of my process. I wish I could just dump the botanicals in without a bag. NB. I did not pick out the orange peel.

Ran nice and slow in pot still mode, my still had just 25cm of column. Followed Odin's method to a tee!
- Threw out the first 20ml and Collected the next 7l or so in jars: I was skeptical of the 40% cut prescribed by Odin (Wrong! I ended up
keeping and blending exactly 40%!!!!!)
- That gave me 5.2 l @81% ABV. I let it breath a bit, but kept lids on it over night.
- Next day, I diluted with distilled water. @55% ABV it was very clear.
- I split that into 4 jugs (1 jug of 1.5l 'reserve' kept at 55% for another experiment, and 3 equal vol. jugs further diluted to 45%ABV).
Those were quite cloudy!
Of the three:
- I left one jug as is. (I called this one RAW)
- 1 jug was blended with 45% neutral until it cleared. (It took aprox. 500ml I think) (aka. DRY)
- 1 jug was blended with half that neutral. (aka. UNFILTERED)

We sampled from all three last night. Very nice. As you would expect, The lavender and cardamom really come through in the RAW, less so in the DRY, but the Juniper is pretty pervasive through all three.

Surprises:
- I was surprised at how pungent the jars were immediately after distillation. It was changing over time, and the next morning I decided to blend the 40% cut, not knowing whether I would drink or re-distill. Did it ever change again once diluted and allowed to rest another day.
- Afterwards, I was further surprised at the next jars after the 40% cut. There was a spicey element to them that I wondered as to whether to include..... Next time.

We all loved this gin! And one comment we all resonated with was that it is very well balanced. The flavours are not fighting each other at all. So, I have the equivalent of 12 bottles and I will not refrain from drinking along the way, but I will have plenty left in a month to see how that progresses.

Of course, where it comes to botanicals, we always want to tinker with them: In my case, for this equivalent load I would probably add 1 gram of lavender, 5g of orange peel, and perhaps take away 20g of coriander to "make room" for it.

Anyhow, kudos and thanks to Odin for this process and method.... It is really nice. I think I might look alter my maceration technique to avoid a muslin bag and a few tweaks to the botanicals (of course! :idea: ) But I would not hesitate to just repeat this run as is! It was suggested that I use a collapsible steamer that can be placed at the bottom of my still. Worth a try!!!!

Comments, suggestions welcome.
-- Rrmuf
zed255
Distiller

Re: Variation of botanicals on OEG that worked out nicely....

Post by zed255 »

Sounds like success. I have made OEG and like you have started tweaking the botanicals to suit our tastes. The method is sound.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MartinCash »

I've followed pretty much your path as well Rrmuf, starting with OEG and making variations while still using the same overall method.

I first also reduced the citrus, as what I have available was too dominant in the quantities Odin suggested in his original recipe. I've ended up with the x/100 ratio that is often recommended.

My version is not cloudy at 43%, but will louche when added to a mixer. I think your super-fresh juniper probably has much higher oil content.
4'' SS modular CCVM on gas-fired 50L keg.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Rrmuf wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:49 am .......
Anyhow, kudos and thanks to Odin for this process and method.... It is really nice. I think I might look alter my maceration technique to avoid a muslin bag and a few tweaks to the botanicals (of course! :idea: ) But I would not hesitate to just repeat this run as is! It was suggested that I use a collapsible steamer that can be placed at the bottom of my still. Worth a try!!!!

See Bushman's post

https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... mer#p76216
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Looks like your proportions are pretty close, I would probably up the coriander to 115 grams only because several articles on making gin have the coriander at 1/2 the amount of the juniper berries. Not sure that our senses would pick up the difference.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:17 pm
Rrmuf wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:49 am .......

See Bushman's post

https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... mer#p76216
Thanks mate, I was already directed on this excellent idea.... I am sourcing an appropriately sized steamer as we speak!!
-- Rrmuf
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Bushman wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:24 pm Looks like your proportions are pretty close, I would probably up the coriander to 115 grams only because several articles on making gin have the coriander at 1/2 the amount of the juniper berries. Not sure that our senses would pick up the difference.
Yeah. I think I will reserve judgement until a month or so to see what I think then. It really came out cloudy as it was so I feel, perhaps mistakenly, like any addition needs to be balanced with a reduction elsewhere... but time has already helped with that.
I have seen everything from 1/4 to a 1/2 for coriander. Gee maybe I will have to make TWO more batches to get it right ?? :mrgreen: :thumbup: Either way, this is my starting point from now on!

Thanks for the interest.
-- Rrmuf
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Rrmuf wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:27 am It really came out cloudy as it was
Does cloudy Gin taste bad or something ?
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

... I am quickly developing a taste for it. :mrgreen: This last batch , I 'neutraled' a portion to remove cloudiness compare to the cloudy version. I intend to taste side by side over the coming weeks to decide what I like best.
-- Rrmuf
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

A few weeks on, I have two findings:
1. I do like the cloudy gin better. The clear gin is pretty good too. I am clearly going to prefer the cloudy gin for my G&Ts and the clear one is very nice in a Martini.
2. The cloudy gin cleared up somewhat over time.
So, even if I did want a clear gin, I would wait a while before adding neutral to clear it up.
:thumbup:
-- Rrmuf
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

My wife has gotten so used to the intensity of flavor in my usual misty gins, that she complained last time I gave her a clear bottle. Fortunately, I do some gin runs at 5* essence strength, so I only had to add some of my essence to fix it.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

NZChris wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:14 pm My wife has gotten so used to the intensity of flavor in my usual misty gins, that she complained last time I gave her a clear bottle. Fortunately, I do some gin runs at 5* essence strength, so I only had to add some of my essence to fix it.
I was thinking of this essence approach of yours. It sounds like a good way to really speed up the botanical mixes. Must require a fair bit of storage?
-- Rrmuf