Using flowers for Gin

All things to do with making of gin

Moderator: Site Moderator

Neozilian
Novice

Using flowers for Gin

Post by Neozilian »

Hi All

I’ve been looking everywhere and only found slim pickings on using flowers (Roses, Elderflower, Jasmine, Hibiscus ect)

On ADI found that florals work in Gin baskets and not for maceration.
The usage is x/100 (x being juniper) otherwise it becomes perfume

Can anybody with some experience in flowers give me a hand?

Trying to make a bouquet of flower gin for the wife this Valentines :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
“The gin and tonic has saved more Englishmen's lives than all the doctors in the Empire” - Sir Winston Churchil
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Using flowers for Gin

Post by still_stirrin »

Neozilian wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:02 amTrying to make a bouquet of flower gin for the wife this Valentines.
That’s a very romantic idea.

But, my thoughts are....just because flowers “smell nice” and “look pretty” doesn’t mean I’d want to eat them. A dash of floral may add complexity to a gin, no doubt. But there is a fine line between enough and too much, especially when your nose is a key part of the function.

I have not made a flower spirit of any sort, so I don’t have any experience to add. I would suggest however, that you could make an essence with the flowers and blend a little at a time back into your conventionally produced gin until you have the character you’re after. Be gentle with it, however, because the nose is a sensitive tool.

Good luck with your Valentine’s surprise. Let us know what you make and how it’s received. ;-)
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

You could do this: put your flowers to macerate in a little alcohol (do not overdo the quantities), do not leave them for too long (I would try a couple of hours), in this way you get a tincture or improperly call it essence. With this tincture pour very little quantity a little at a time and tasting as you go, when you are satisfied stop, sometimes more is worse. This will naturally add some color.
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

Blue Pea Flowers don't add much in the taste or aroma department but do add a beautiful blue colour to gin. In the presence of a mixer with a little acidity it will go purple or pink.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Run them in the gin basket with your finest neutral to make a concentrated essence, then add to gin to taste.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

zed255 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:30 am Blue Pea Flowers don't add much in the taste or aroma department but do add a beautiful blue colour to gin. In the presence of a mixer with a little acidity it will go purple or pink.
Zed's on the money here.

Not taste but amazing visual appeal is definitely a wow factor.
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=75181

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by TittaD »

Thats a nice thing to do! Love the idea!
As Still_stirrin wrote there is a fine line between enough and too much.
I have only used meadowsweet, that is kind of a weed that grows around the lakes here. It’s smell is sweet almondy and really potent. First two times I tried it, it was overpowering. 0.1g/l in the pot is enough for me.
I usually use a cheap 1l erlenmeyer glass flask on the stove top for recepie development, but I guess you need to start yesterday to be ready Valentines. Maybe do extracts as Demi wrote but instead taste it to deside on the amounts.
Good luck!
Neozilian
Novice

Post by Neozilian »

Thanks all

From all the notes im thinking of halving the amount of florals for steam distillation and then making a macernation with neutral spirits to add additional flavor as needed. Any opinions?
“The gin and tonic has saved more Englishmen's lives than all the doctors in the Empire” - Sir Winston Churchil
Neozilian
Novice

Post by Neozilian »

Ok.. my flowers did not arrive in time! Luckily my wife know me and my late planning by now :mrgreen: He present is deferred... will keep you all updated
Neozilian
Novice

Post by Neozilian »

My Valentines Gin is finally done... Better late than never!
The wife loved it :mrgreen: and me for making it :lol:

After a long discussion with a friend who does recipe development for a spirits company.

I decided put the botanicals in the boiler and only the florals in the steam path.
This created a nice soft floral note that did not overpower the rest of the gin.
Garouda
Swill Maker

Post by Garouda »

Well most of the botanicals, up to juniper, cloves cinnamon and coriander came from the garden, one pomelo tree was in blossom I could not help adding some flowers...
wonderful smell.png
pomelo blossom.png
"In wine there is Wisdom, in beer there is Freedom, in water there are bacteria."
Benjamin Franklin
"In moonshine there is Rebeldom"
Garouda
noooze
Novice

Post by noooze »

Neozilian wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:58 am My Valentines Gin is finally done... Better late than never!
The wife loved it :mrgreen: and me for making it :lol:

After a long discussion with a friend who does recipe development for a spirits company.

I decided put the botanicals in the boiler and only the florals in the steam path.
This created a nice soft floral note that did not overpower the rest of the gin.
Sounds very interesting. Summer is coming up and a nice floral gin would be a great thing to have in the cabinet.
The wify hates everything I make with gin, unless I use something of a floral or sweet gin.

Perhaps you would share the recipe with us ? :)
Hvae tried myself, but never had any luck with those types of gins