Lab Grade distillation apparatus for gin recipe development.

All things to do with making of gin

Moderator: Site Moderator

artooks
Trainee

Lab Grade distillation apparatus for gin recipe development.

Post by artooks »

Hi,

Everyone, a relative of mine has a lab grade small glass distillation apparatus with Friedrichs condenser that he no longer uses it, he wanted to give it to me since I am doing distillations, when he said that I thought why not, since this is a 1 liter small still I could make gin recipe development try new recipes in 1 liter batches which could come handy, but there is one thing that I would like to get your opinion as you could see in the pictures that I attached, this thing has a what is called a " Friedrichs condenser " so it probably like a reflux condenser, could I still do recipe developments with it and scale it up later in my big still, or does this reflux effect could have an effect on the taste in the final product what is your opinions ?

Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 13.28.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 13.28.09.jpg
Triplequad
Novice

Re: Lab Grade distillation apparatus for gin recipe development.

Post by Triplequad »

still glass.jpg
this is what I use for method development.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

That version of a Fredrick s condenser looks just like a Pot still head to me . Would be a perfect little Gin still .

But I am not a big fan of ground glass joints . In the Lab , they are generally smeared with some sort of grease , petroleum or Silicone Based to aid with sealing and disassembly . ... Neither are a good choice .

But if you could keep then cleanly sealed but tight enough With Ground glass clips , might be a good freebie.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Yummyrum wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:00 am That version of a Fredrick s condenser looks just like a Pot still head to me . Would be a perfect little Gin still .

But I am not a big fan of ground glass joints . In the Lab , they are generally smeared with some sort of grease , petroleum or Silicone Based to aid with sealing and disassembly . ... Neither are a good choice .

But if you could keep then cleanly sealed but tight enough With Ground glass clips , might be a good freebie.
Thanks. Yummyrum, why do you think that it is like a potstill the condenser is just above the flask and I guess once it condensates it will fall back to the flask, but since I have no clue not experience about this type of condenser I really do not know. If it acts as a potstill that it will be good.
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

it's certainly a different version of a friedrichs condenser.
looks like it might provide some reflux and condense, looks like a finger up the middle, hard to tell.
should be worth a play anyway.
i have a glass lab for gin, sometimes use a 300mm vigreux column for reflux.
don't think it makes much difference to the taste, but it does bump the Abv up about 6-8%.
it's great for doing small batches with different recipes.

Triplequad wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:55 am
still glass.jpg
this is what I use for method development.
triple, are those heating mantles ok?
i'm still using my old propane camping stove under the boiling flask, but i'm not keen on naked flames in the shed.(extinguisher is available)
i have a 5l boiling flask and the mantles for them are about $150. :esurprised:
Butch27
Swill Maker

Post by Butch27 »

Yummyrum wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:00 am That version of a Fredrick s condenser looks just like a Pot still head to me . Would be a perfect little Gin still .

Could he not just wrap the joints with teflon tape?
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Butch27 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:03 am

Could he not just wrap the joints with teflon tape?
That is a good point Butch27 thanks. I will try it as is at first than if I see that vapor is escaping than I could use some tape in the joints.
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

the glass ground joints seem to a good enough job on my glass lab.
the vapour seems to take the path of least resistance.
i use the keck clips, but not any grease.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

artooks wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:38 am
Thanks. Yummyrum, why do you think that it is like a potstill the condenser is just above the flask and I guess once it condensates it will fall back to the flask, but since I have no clue not experience about this type of condenser I really do not know. If it acts as a potstill that it will be good.
Artooks , Sorry I was looking at it late last night . Yes it is reflux condenser and a product condenser in one . So probably not the right Condenser for the job .With full flow , it will be in full reflux mode .As you reduce flow , it starts to act like a deflagmator , partially refluxing and allowing some product take off .
But if you stop coolant flow to allow no reflux ...IE Pot still , then you have no water to condense the product .
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

So as far as I understand it will be partially refluxed and pot stilled at the same time something in between but could it still serve to find out the taste profile between different recipes or due to the condenser, will it change the taste of the final product.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Yeah probably better for making a Neutral base for a Gin rather than a Gin ... its not the right tool .
I think you might be better off with just a standard liebig if you want to keep going with glass .
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

Yummyrum wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:03 am Yeah probably better for making a Neutral base for a Gin rather than a Gin ... its not the right tool .
I think you might be better off with just a standard liebig if you want to keep going with glass .
i don't think any glass lab setup is any use for 'making neutral', it's just not viable with 1L & 5L flasks.
you would have to make cuts in thimbles :)
but as it's free, i would still give it a go with a 1l (maybe 700ml)of good neutral, plus botanicals, see what happens.
turn up the heat slowly until you overcome the reflux and it should produce vapour that will condense down the sides.
the reflux effect will probably be minimal with that short length. :think:
but i agree with yummy, all you need is a flask, a 90°bend and a leibig.
if it fails, there's loads of stuff on fleabay.