go from potstill to CvReflux

All things to do with making of gin

Moderator: Site Moderator

d10
Novice

go from potstill to CvReflux

Post by d10 »

Hello everyone, I make gin,i started with a basic 5l potstill, now i think to use a colum, I want advices could be help with the parameters temp of water in the reflux, and flowrate? I macerate about 40% abv for 24 hs before to start the run. I have never use the botanical basket, so if any wants to tell me some tips, are welcome
Now I ordered a packed column (60 cm of coppers chips) with a dephlemator or pre condenser, the boiler has 3 resistence that gives 1.2kW each one, the designer tell me that the colum has 2.5'' diameter (there are no 3-inch copper pipes in Argentina) and the dephlemator has 3'' , it could be a problem ? has an expansion in the dphlemator? Another option is to replace the copper column with a 3-inch stainless steel column that would be equal to the diameter of the dephlemator
Thanks in Advance
REgard!
Bushman
Admin

Re: go from potstill to CvReflux

Post by Bushman »

I make my gin just the opposite. I start by making as close to neutral as I can in my reflux still. After cuts and proofing I mascerate my bill following what Odin and other gin makers on the forum do. After Macerating I then run it through the pot still believing this gives it more flavor than the other way around.
d10
Novice

Post by d10 »

thanks for answering Bushman
I agree with you, but im looking for something more special, more fine, without big content of oils, i want to find other profile of the drink.
In fact i think Odin now are selling a columns to make gin by his brand.
regards!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

When finished and bottled they look clear with no oily appearance.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

d10 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:08 am...im looking for something....without big content of oils, i want to find other profile of the drink...
I agree with Bushman....use the reflux column to make a clean neutral first. Then, use the potstill to make your gin. If maceration produces too big of a flavor for you, then try putting the botanicals into the vapor path instead. It will be much more delicate in flavor and aroma.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
d10
Novice

Post by d10 »

thanks your opinions
after try i gonna say the results. Could you tell me some advice with temp and flow rate water in the reflux? or some another tip?
Dathhu
Bootlegger

Post by Dathhu »

d10 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:45 am Hello everyone, I make gin,i started with a basic 5l potstill, now i think to use a colum, I want advices could be help with the parameters temp of water in the reflux, and flowrate? I macerate about 40% abv for 24 hs before to start the run. I have never use the botanical basket, so if any wants to tell me some tips, are welcome
Now I ordered a packed column (60 cm of coppers chips) with a dephlemator or pre condenser, the boiler has 3 resistence that gives 1.2kW each one, the designer tell me that the colum has 2.5'' diameter (there are no 3-inch copper pipes in Argentina) and the dephlemator has 3'' , it could be a problem ? has an expansion in the dphlemator? Another option is to replace the copper column with a 3-inch stainless steel column that would be equal to the diameter of the dephlemator
Thanks in Advance
REgard!
Hola, perdoname for translation problems, trying to work out exactly what you are doing.

You have been making gin from a pot still? Now you are going to a reflux?

You can go 2 ways:

1: Use the reflux column for base spirit, then make the gin with the pot still.

2: Use the reflux column with a gin basket, after making base spirit with the reflux column.

If you are trying to build your still, you will need connections to join all the pieces. Column to dephleg, 2.5 to 3" reducer. I cant say that I've seen these pieces, 2.5" isn't standard.

These sound like you are trying to build a Cooling Management(CM) reflux still. Boiler - column - dephlegmator - product condenser. Dephlegmator controlling reflux.

With the boiler resistance, I'm guessing you mean the power of the electricity going into the still. You really need more than just 3 settings. Something to go from 0-100% on a dial. Not just 3 on or off.

Hope I've been of some help.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

d10 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:57 am thanks your opinions
after try i gonna say the results. Could you tell me some advice with temp and flow rate water in the reflux? or some another tip?
High reflux means :
a) high heat input = high vapor production rate,
b) high vapor production rate requires a high water flow to reflux condenser = high reflux ratio —> higher purity or “proof”,
c) high reflux ratio = lower product rate at outlet (but high purity).

So, adjust the flow through the reflux condenser to STOP the product flow at the outlet, then reduce it slightly to pass a little (small broken flow) at the outlet.

Temperatures at the stillhead or water outlet have little to do with your product flow rate. It is better managed with the heat input and water flow rate to the reflux condenser.
ss
d10
Novice

Post by d10 »

so I ordered a packed column with a dephlemator thinking about loss flavor but win more efficiency and thinkimg about in a potstill i have more steam entrainment ( in one step). I buy the neutral spirit is pure ethanol 3 times destilled 96, so i dont need make my own neutral spirit
if i use a dephlemator and packed i think im going to have just ethanol without oil, fusel alcohol, etc
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

d10 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:38 pm...I buy the neutral spirit (pure ethanol) 3 times destilled 96...so i dont need make my own neutral spirit...if i use a dephlemator and packed i think im going to have just ethanol without oil, fusel alcohol, etc
More dollars than sense???

Sure, you can buy hardware and neutral spirit all day long...but it won’t guarantee a good gin at the end of the day. It is all about “how you make it”. If you read Odin’s EZ gin recipe in the Tried & True Recipe forum, you’ll have a good understanding how to distill gin (successfully).

Good luck with your venture and adventure.
ss