How to achieve a vapor infusion taste by diluting a boiler infused gin.

All things to do with making of gin

Moderator: Site Moderator

artooks
Trainee

How to achieve a vapor infusion taste by diluting a boiler infused gin.

Post by artooks »

Hi Everyone,

I tried a Bombay like gin but I did not use vapor infusion, after 24 hrs maceration, I did everything in boiler and after 5 weeks the outcome was very flavorful and very intense, which not like a Bombay gin, so I made some trial with dilute it with alcohol at the same strength which is %45 and I really enjoyed the outcome, so I come to the conclusion that vapor infusion is not really necessary maybe it shines and really beneficial in some other things like rose petals and orange or tangerine peels, but overall it looks like it is not necessary, so after playing and diluting my Bombay like gin with 45% ABV I came at a point where I put 3 parts of my boiler infused gin and 2 parts of 45%ABV alcohol and this mix really smelled and tasted like Bombay, So as a result of this trial boiler infused gins could be made lighter with this method, this is what I come to but I am really wondering if there are other people who has played with this and come to create a similar formula, basically for you if you want to achieve a vapor infused like gin how much do you dilute your boiler infused gin ?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: How to achieve a vapor infusion taste by diluting a boiler infused gin.

Post by NZChris »

If your vapor infused Gin is less intense, it could just be that your infusion method isn't as efficient as your maceration method and that you have missed out on some of the flavors.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I believe that the way of proceeding depends on various factors: intensity you want to get, botanists who use, quantity of botanicals etc ... even if I am not a gin expert in my opinion the two methods are valid both (and they could both be combined) They have different characteristics and must be used based on the factors I have mentioned.
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

apparently, the only things that need to be infused are things like rose petals.
as they only give up their flavour in high abv vapour.
the rest is your own choice, whether you infuse or boil.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I've always said vapour infusion and the equipment to do it is a waste of time and money.......if you can't make good gin using maceration and wacking it straight in the boiler you never will.
A good starting point is good clean neutral.
We all have different ways of doing things and different opinions....at the end of the day its the distillers choice.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi Everyone,

what I was asking is by doing boiler maceration how do you achieve the vapor infused gin taste and smell by how much adding the neutral alcohol. is there a formula like 3 part boiler infused gin plus 2 part same strength alcohol is the equivalent smell and taste of vapor infused gin since using boiler maceration one can get %100 taste of the botanicals so it is much easier to dilute with same strength alcohol to make it lighter but is there a formula for that ? that is what I am wondering.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I doubt that there is a set formula to suit all people and all Gins.....trail and error till you find what suits you is probably the way to go.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I understand what you mean, in my opinion you have to think about the inverse ... put to macerate less botanical if you want a more delicate flavor, you can always dilute anyway. Another way I experienced is the opposite one: little alcohol and many botanists, distill this to get a concentrate, an essence that gradually add to your neutral based on your taste. Many roads for the same goal.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi,

Since I added 3 parts of my gin and 2 parts of same strength alcohol I could easily do %50 - %50 so lets say I add 1 part of my gin and 1 part of same strength alcohol if I go back and halve my recipe in my boiler infusion, do you think I could achieve the same outcome, I am trying to go back to alter the recipe to achieve the same output as vapor infusion do you guys think this could work ? is this the right logic to think ? I strongly believe that there is a correlation between boiler and vapor infusion, with boiler infusion one should be able to achieve the taste and smell of a vapor infusion by trial and error.