Vapor infusion in the boiler

All things to do with making of gin

Moderator: Site Moderator

artooks
Trainee

Vapor infusion in the boiler

Post by artooks »

Hi Everyone,

I have 2 boilers 1 is 3 Gallon and the other one is 8 Gallon, Normally on a gin run I use the 3 Gallon one with my modified hot plate, I always wanted to try vapor infusion I did with my small glass still, I also wanted to try it on my big still, but up until now I could not do it, I also have a small 4" filter that I purchased from Still Dragon, it has a 3.74" diameter with a height of 7.10" which is sufficient, I usually use this for my Raki run which is a Turkish Anise based spirit I use it because with raki you have to use 100 grams of anise per liter, but I usually place it at the bottom. of the boiler on top of marbles, so today I thought to myself what if I use my big boiler instead of the small one and but the botanicals in this basket and hang it from the top, in the vapor path, I know that this maybe not the perfect vapor infusion method since there will be some passive reflux and as a result of that drippage from the filter to the boiler will happen, but again I was watching Odin's live gin making video in there he basically said that if you want to do vapor infusion just hang the hop cooking bags in the boiler without touching the spirit, so following this I calculated the space between the gin liquid level and the under the filter or basket there is 7.76" space between them, again I will heat it with my modified hotplate it will be controlled with my power controller I will try it and will see how it will perform, what do you guys think about this method ? I also included a diagram that shows the dimensions.

Untitled-1.jpg
IMG_2805.jpeg
IMG_4225.jpeg
IMG_4226.jpeg
IMG_4227.jpeg
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Vapor infusion in the boiler

Post by howie »

i have often wondered how effective just hanging the botanicals in the boiler would be.
i imagine the vapour would take the path of least resistance (around the basket) and while some interaction is likely, i'm guessing the flavours will be very mild.
in my 4" gin basket, the basket fully 'blocks' the column, forcing the vapours through the botanicals.

which odin video was that?
the one i've seen is when he hangs the botanicals in a hop bag, but it only so he doesn't scorch the botanicals, but i think they are immersed in the GNS.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi,

It is not that video, here is the link it is a quite long video, but very informative I will try to make a gin this way and let you all know the outcome.

howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

aah.
i've watched that one as well, don't remember all of it :)
some good info in that video.
good luck anyway, and let us know how you get on.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

howie wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:15 am i have often wondered how effective just hanging the botanicals in the boiler would be.
i imagine the vapour would take the path of least resistance (around the basket) and while some interaction is likely, i'm guessing the flavours will be very mild.

Since you mentioned that, I really wondered about the top diameter of my boiler lid, guess that was a perfect fit, as you can see in the picture so the vapor has to pass from here but also, I have to wire the filter to the opening of the boiler lid so that it snugly fits, as I did the bombay like gin recipe in the boiler now I will have a chance to find out about the different distilling techniques of the same recipe.

IMG_4239.jpg
IMG_4240.jpg
IMG_4241.jpg
IMG_4242.jpg
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi Everyone,

As you can see in the images I am thinking to make a vapor infusion chamber in the boiler I have made a hook which I will hang the filter basket the I will make some threads on the other side of the rod and will pass it through the middle of the boiler cap where you see small circle openings then will tighten it with two nuts to be on the safe side, as you can see in the picture the underneath of the boiler cap is a very good fit for my 4" filter but as Howie mentioned I am started to wonder if the vapor will still go around the filter where there is least resistance, but as I mentioned before Odin said that if you want to do vapor infusion just hang the bags in the boiler without immersing them in the liquid with hooks, and he also said that the best place for vapor infusion is somewhere in the boiler to avoid any particle contamination, so I am wondering if this is a correct route to do, I am going to try it always but I will appreciate if some of you could chime in, that has any experience with vapor infusion in the boiler level.