All things to do with making of gin

Moderator: Site Moderator

artooks
Trainee

Tanquarey No 10 using fresh grapefruit orange and lime

Post by artooks »

Hi,

There is one thing that I am wondering, I have watched
How they make Tanquarey no 10 they use fresh grapefruit orange and lime and if I did understand correctly the distill the fresh fruits separately it looks like they do it in boiler
has anyone tried using fresh fruits and if so how do you do it ?
Demy
Master of Distillation

Re: Tanquarey n. 10 con arancia e lime al pompelmo fresco

Post by Demy »

I did something with citrus. I macerated the fresh peel in neutral alcohol for a couple of days (just like my limoncello) then distilled. It may happen to obtain a slightly cloudy alcohol due to the essential oils present in the peel that pass into the distilled product. Citrus fruits generally work very well with this method
Wozza
Bootlegger

Re: Tanquarey No 10 using fresh grapefruit orange and lime

Post by Wozza »

artooks wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:54 am Hi,

There is one thing that I am wondering, I have watched
How they make Tanquarey no 10 they use fresh grapefruit orange and lime and if I did understand correctly the distill the fresh fruits separately it looks like they do it in boiler
has anyone tried using fresh fruits and if so how do you do it ?
I've been making OEG for some time and increasing the citrus bill each batch. I'm around the same weight fresh citrus as I am juniper - around 15g per litre. The citrus will vary depending on what looks good at the supermarket. Lemon, orange, grapefruit and tangerines.

I peel with a potato peeler and scrape any white pith off and then steep all ingredients in 43% neutral for two weeks. The first 10-20ml comes out quite cloudy and as soon as it runs clear I collect about 450ml/litre.

Apart from coriander, the only other ingredient so far has been angelica root at about 1g/litre. I doubled that for the last batch and there is a definite 'earthy' flavour to that one which whilst not unpleasant I would prefer not to be there. So it's back to 1g/litre for that. And I might try a few cardomon pods in the next one.

One thing that has made a difference to my gin drinkin' has been the quality of the tonic Inuse. I would usually buy Schweppes and even a supermarket brand now and then. But I forked out for some Fever Tree tonic a couple of months back and it made a HUGE difference. I guess it makes sense to use quality tonic if you're making quality gin. But it's frustrating that the mixer costs more than the booze.

I tried making my own tonic but experienced some problems which I think were caused by the quinine. Too risky I think. It was really quite nice but I dumped the lot.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Tanquarey No 10 using fresh grapefruit orange and lime

Post by NZChris »

If using whole citrus, I halve them and put them in the basket skin side down.