sight glass for gin basket?

All things to do with making of gin

Moderator: Site Moderator

dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

sight glass for gin basket?

Post by dunluce »

I've looked around and can't seem to come up with any examples for this....has anyone used a sight glass like the one linked as a gin basket? Any issues I should worry about, besides rigging up some way to keep the botannicals from dropping out? Thanks.

sight glass.png
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: sight glass for gin basket?

Post by NZChris »

If it’s going on a keg, it’s very small unless it’s only for the peels.
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

NZChris wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:06 pm If it’s going on a keg, it’s very small unless it’s only for the peels.
Typically running only 5 gallon batches. How big does it need to be?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I don't know because I've never tried to push the limits. My gin baskets are all overkill to give me low vapor speeds through the botanicals in them. Most of my gin runs are done with most of the botanicals in the boiler. Running with everything in a basket or Carter Head is rare and only for specific styles of gin.

I recall a member tried putting everything into a 2" riser. I don't think it went as well as he hoped. Try searching before you spend any money. With a sight glass, I'd be guessing that you might get some idea of if your vapor speed might be causing a problem. If 2" is too small, running slower will fix it as long as you are not in a hurry.
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

NZChris wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:51 pm I recall a member tried putting everything into a 2" riser. I don't think it went as well as he hoped.
Well, that's good to know, becuase I have searched and not found anything, AND that was what my next plan might be....use a 2" riser and just tri-clamp it into the setup.

I could do the botannicals in the boiler, just worried about the scorching potential.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If you have elements in the pot, scorching might be a problem. Running gin using hot plates, gas and wood, I've never had a problem except when a miscalculation had me run a pot dry.
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

Well, if someone wants to jump in with a great plan for an easy DIY gin basket for a 2" pot still, that would be great.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

NZChris wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:51 pm I recall a member tried putting everything into a 2" riser. I don't think it went as well as he hoped.
Found it, https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 15&t=68785
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

NZChris wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:07 pm Found it, https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 15&t=68785
Thanks, that should be a sticky somewhere. :mrgreen: