Cloudy Gin newbie

All things to do with making of gin

Moderator: Site Moderator

StillBill53
Novice

Cloudy Gin newbie

Post by StillBill53 »

Hi All
We have just finished our second gin production, a food processor 24 hour maceration in the still Plymouth gin. Everything went to plan, came out of a small pot still crystal clear 77% abv, needs a little work on the flavour but acceptable. Our problem is when we try to cut it back to bottle strength with steam distilled water it goes cloudy, after 5 weeks ageing it's clear, but put it in a glass and add ice and tonic it goes cloudy again.
Any ideas on what I have done wrong?
Is this a de-gassing problem?
Appreciate any suggestions or directions to previous threads on the topic.
Brew bama
Novice

Re: Cloudy Gin newbie

Post by Brew bama »

My guess: It isn’t filtered so it retains all of its essential oils. When the gin is mixed with ice or tonic, the oil solubility decreases, turning the liquid a cloudy white.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

StillBill53 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:08 pm Hi All
We have just finished our second gin production, a food processor 24 hour maceration in the still Plymouth gin. Everything went to plan, came out of a small pot still crystal clear 77% abv, needs a little work on the flavour but acceptable. Our problem is when we try to cut it back to bottle strength with steam distilled water it goes cloudy, after 5 weeks ageing it's clear, but put it in a glass and add ice and tonic it goes cloudy again.
Any ideas on what I have done wrong?
Is this a de-gassing problem?
Appreciate any suggestions or directions to previous threads on the topic.
The effect that you're describing is louching, but it's not a problem so much as a sign that you've effectively extracted lots of flavor from your botanicals.

Louching is when oils like citrus or juniper are forced out of solution when the ABV is reduced. Nothing wrong with cloudy, it's just taste.

If you want to reduce the bottle ABV, simply dilute the gin with solution equal to the target ABV. E.g. dilute with 40% neutral.
Last edited by Expat on Fri May 07, 2021 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Saltbush Bill »

StillBill53 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:08 pm Any ideas on what I have done wrong?
You haven't done anything wrong, louche just shows that your gin has plenty of flavour and oils in it.
I hear that some of the better small craft Gin distilleries are using some louche as a marketing plus these days.
StillBill53
Novice

Post by StillBill53 »

Thanks Guys
Louching! That's a new one one, I'll do some research so I can explain it better.
This is such a great site full of great people ready to help.
Much appreciated
StillBill
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

If it bugs you....do this and run with it. :mrgreen:

https://www.theflavorbender.com/color-c ... a-and-gin/
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi,

That is called louching, it shows that you extracted all the oils from your botanicals, but there are a few things to be careful here, once the distillation has finished, I always check the ABV and make my calculations to dilute it to 45%ABV lets say I have 400 ml of % 80 ABV Gin and I need to dilute it to %45ABV I need 311 ml water prepare it and leave it in room temperature for 24 hours then pour the spirit slowly in small amounts and shake it in between this is how I do it and happy with it, so lets say you diluted it to %45 ABV and there is no louch, this is ok, it is not a big deal but if you have louching in the bottle it means that you have too much oils, and they are not properly dissolved in the spirit, even if you have a clear bottle and you pour some ice tonic over it it will slightly louch, I also have slight louching after I add ice and tonic but that is ok here is an example. If you have it you can dilute it with same strength neutral spirit at one point the louch will lift up instantly.
IMG_4997.jpeg
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Some botanists are very rich in oils and even with tight cuts pass in the distillate causing cloudiness ... I often happen to me with citrus fruits and star anise, no problem for me ... to some of your friends will seem strange and even more frustrating try to explain to the others...
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If you are a home distiller wanting to make robust gin for your own consumption, get over the louche. A bit of louche in the bottle or in a G&T is a good thing in in my book because it is an indication of robust flavor. If you have an on objection to the louche, you can dilute your gin with the same abv neutral spirit until it doesn't louche, but then it will taste more like the boring pap you can buy in your local bottle store.