Arto's Gin Recipe V3

All things to do with making of gin

Moderator: Site Moderator

artooks
Trainee

Arto's Gin Recipe V3

Post by artooks »

Hi Everyone,

After making many gin experimentations, I came up with a very good gin that I really enjoyed and wanted to share it with you, I also have this recipe on my other thread but I wanted to create a dedicated thread for this gin recipe. I always wanted to make a gin with some ingredients locally available and experiment with different botanicals, so in this recipe, I used, linden tree blossom Dry Sage leaves, and Earl Grey Tea, After trying several times, I really like the idea to grind all the botanicals very finely and leave them at %60 ABV spirit for 4 hours and 30 minutes, so this is what I did with this recipe, grinded all the botanicals even the dry citrus peels and this increased the surface area for the botanicals to be extracted in the %60 ABV spirit, once the maceration is over I then diluted it to %43 ABV and run it very slowly, I collected 400 ml as usual, it comes around %84 ABV I then calculate the amount of water needed to dilute it to %45 ABV, leave the spirit and dilution water for 24 hours in room temperature, I then slowly pour the spirit over the water in small amounts, giving a small swirl between fillings, one thing I always experience is how harsh the smell is once you dilute the spirit but when you taste it, it is ok but when you smell it really give a slight burning feeling due to the water does not combine with water instantly, but give in 2 days it smells awesome, and leave the spirit for aeration by putting a coffee filter to cover it out, I believe a 2 week wait is more than enough for the spirit to be consumed, Try it and I believe you will like it.

Arto's Gin V3

1) Juniper berries: 16 Grams
2) Coriander seeds: 4 Grams
3) Angelica root: 0.8 Grams
4) Dry Lemon peel: 0.37 Grams
5) Dry Orange peel: 0.42 Grams
6) Dry Sage Leaves: 0.5 Grams
7) Lindentree Blossom: 1 Grams
8 ) Earl Grey Tea: 2 Grams

Total Botanicals per litre: 25.09 Gr / lt

IMG_4939.jpeg
IMG_4940.jpeg
IMG_4944.jpg
IMG_4945.jpg
IMG_4946.jpg
artooks
Trainee

Re: Arto's Gin Recipe V3

Post by artooks »

This Gin really blew my mind, it is really hard to explain it, but will try to do my best, first of all it is a very well balanced gin in every aspect and it has a different brightness that comes from sage, linden tree blossom and earl grey tea, due to my last alcohol I had I diluted my final gin to %45.5 ABV and interestingly after adding ice and tonic over it, it did not touch like my other gins, there was only a slight louch in the final drink you can see for yourself, but must say first the citrus peels hits and afterwards you feel the sage and linden tree which gives an extraordinary freshness to the drink, I think because I finely grinded all the botanicals the louch is very less, of course I cannot prove it but the same thing happened to one of my other gins that I also finely grinded

IMG_4994.jpeg
IMG_4997.jpeg
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

artooks wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:27 am Arto's Gin V3

This has been on my to-do list for some time and I finally caught up to it a few weeks back. Despite a certain amount of searching I couldn't easily get my hands on the sage or lindentree blossom in time (I've found a source now, so I'll go full botanical next time). What I can say is that this is a step up in my gin experience even without those ingredients. It's a relatively complex gin and can be drunk neat very happily. There's a slight sweetness and the citrus notes are perfectly balanced with the juniper.

And more importantly than my opinion... a friend came to stay just before christmas and brought us a set of "tasting" gins from a distillery in Scotland. The "herby" one has an interesting nose but doesn't live up to the promise on the tongue. My wife tried a sip or two and then said "is it wrong that I prefer your one". So congrats artooks... even a slightly lacking version of your recipe ranks considerably higher than commercial artisanal gin. :clap:
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

NormandieStill wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:44 am
artooks wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:27 am Arto's Gin V3

This has been on my to-do list for some time and I finally caught up to it a few weeks back. Despite a certain amount of searching I couldn't easily get my hands on the sage or lindentree blossom in time (I've found a source now, so I'll go full botanical next time). What I can say is that this is a step up in my gin experience even without those ingredients. It's a relatively complex gin and can be drunk neat very happily. There's a slight sweetness and the citrus notes are perfectly balanced with the juniper.

And more importantly than my opinion... a friend came to stay just before christmas and brought us a set of "tasting" gins from a distillery in Scotland. The "herby" one has an interesting nose but doesn't live up to the promise on the tongue. My wife tried a sip or two and then said "is it wrong that I prefer your one". So congrats artooks... even a slightly lacking version of your recipe ranks considerably higher than commercial artisanal gin. :clap:

Dear Normandiestill, thank you very much for your kind words, I have been trying to make a gin which tastes very good to my liking, that was my initial starting point, and this really has been my favorite, It has been some time since I paused distilling, but las Sunday I started again, will work on new recipes, again I am really happy that you liked it. Have a Nice day.
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

artooks wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:34 am This Gin really blew my mind, it is really hard to explain it, but will try to do my best, first of all it is a very well balanced gin in every aspect and it has a different brightness that comes from sage, linden tree blossom and earl grey tea, due to my last alcohol I had I diluted my final gin to %45.5 ABV and interestingly after adding ice and tonic over it, it did not touch like my other gins, there was only a slight louch in the final drink you can see for yourself, but must say first the citrus peels hits and afterwards you feel the sage and linden tree which gives an extraordinary freshness to the drink, I think because I finely grinded all the botanicals the louch is very less, of course I cannot prove it but the same thing happened to one of my other gins that I also finely grinded
welcome back.
i bought some green tea about 2 weeks ago, intending to try it in a gin.
for your earl grey, do you mascerate it in the flask?
i don't drink tea as such, so do you know what is the difference in the level of flavour and aroma between earl grey & green tea?
ie would it be better to reduce the amount of green tea?

the linden blossom is not easy to get, but i have found someone selling 'LINDEN LEAF & FLOWER NATURAL TEA HERB'.
is this a possible substitute, is yours fresh/dried?
cheers
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

howie wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:27 pm
artooks wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:34 am This Gin really blew my mind, it is really hard to explain it, but will try to do my best, first of all it is a very well balanced gin in every aspect and it has a different brightness that comes from sage, linden tree blossom and earl grey tea, due to my last alcohol I had I diluted my final gin to %45.5 ABV and interestingly after adding ice and tonic over it, it did not touch like my other gins, there was only a slight louch in the final drink you can see for yourself, but must say first the citrus peels hits and afterwards you feel the sage and linden tree which gives an extraordinary freshness to the drink, I think because I finely grinded all the botanicals the louch is very less, of course I cannot prove it but the same thing happened to one of my other gins that I also finely grinded
welcome back.
i bought some green tea about 2 weeks ago, intending to try it in a gin.
for your earl grey, do you mascerate it in the flask?
i don't drink tea as such, so do you know what is the difference in the level of flavour and aroma between earl grey & green tea?
ie would it be better to reduce the amount of green tea?

the linden blossom is not easy to get, but i have found someone selling 'LINDEN LEAF & FLOWER NATURAL TEA HERB'.
is this a possible substitute, is yours fresh/dried?
cheers
Hi Howie,

Gin is all about experimentation with the herbs that could go well together and you like + some herbs like Angelica has the ability to keep the flavors together, in terms of number of ingredients I always try to keep it simple, the main goal in this gin is to use some local herbs that I could get my hands on, simple is that, I would not use green tea, as black tea has tannins that gives a slight bitter flavor that I like, I do not know where you reside but if you have pg tips tea 1 tea bag will be more than enough, take all the ingredients put it in a mortar and pestle or a food processor finly grind them, the idea here is to increase the surface area, I also add lemon and orange peel, but since the amount used is so little it is ok to grind it as well, once the surface area is increased you just keep it in 60% ABV Alcohol for just 4 hours and 30 minutes, so the flavors will be extracted, the reason being with 60% ABV alcohol the aromas will be extracted much quicker, and then you dilute it to %43 ABV and run it as instructed, if you have further questions I will be glad to help.
Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

I will have a go on my next batch of neutral.

I see Wikipedia has the Linden Tree as Tilia Cordata or the Small Leafed Lime. Are these the blossom you used Arto?
One too many wasted sunsets, one too many for the road.
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

thanks artooks.
i have looking at gins such as JaiSalmer & Irish Gunpowder, who use Darjeeling green tea & gunpowder tea.
so i've just put together a 1L trial.
16gms juniper
6gms coriander
0.8gm angelica
0.5gm sage
2.86gm green tea (leaves from 2 x tea bags)
0.24gm cardoman
0.2gm orris
0.2gm anise
0.2gm carraway
peel of 1 x small-medium orange (16gms wet)

we'll see how the green goes mascerated, i can always try infusing the tea next time (if there is a next time :) )
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

howie wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:02 pm thanks artooks.
i have looking at gins such as JaiSalmer & Irish Gunpowder, who use Darjeeling green tea & gunpowder tea.
16gms juniper
6gms coriander
0.8gm angelica
0.5gm sage
0.24gm cardoman
0.2gm orris
0.2gm anise
0.2gm carraway

we'll see how the green goes mascerated, i can always try infusing the tea next time (if there is a next time :) )
As I said its all about experimenting, just go easy with cardamom, I have made that mistake many times, but also don't let it fool you when you
first dilute it to 45% it has a very strong aroma at the beginning, but 2-3 weeks later it really mellows but during the resting time, do not close the cap of the container also, what I do is I just cover it with coffee filter paper.
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

artooks wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:02 pm
16gms juniper
6gms coriander
0.8gm angelica
0.5gm sage
0.24gm cardoman
0.2gm orris
0.2gm anise
0.2gm carraway

As I said its all about experimenting, just go easy with cardamom, I have made that mistake many times, but also don't let it fool you when you
first dilute it to 45% it has a very strong aroma at the beginning, but 2-3 weeks later it really mellows but during the resting time, do not close the cap of the container also, what I do is I just cover it with coffee filter paper.
i hear what you are saying, but i only cover with coffee filter for 2-3 days.
in my previous life, when i used to buy gin :) , i have found that the flavour/aroma/taste can almost completely dissipate if the bottle is left open.
i don't know if that is similar to 'mellowing' you mention, but i prefer to keep my gins closed after bottling.
i appreciate that the gin changes and combines over the initial 5 weeks in the bottle, but if there are gin angels, they are not getting any of mine :lol:
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

howie wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:29 pm
artooks wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:02 pm
16gms juniper
6gms coriander
0.8gm angelica
0.5gm sage
0.24gm cardoman
0.2gm orris
0.2gm anise
0.2gm carraway

i hear what you are saying, but i only cover with coffee filter for 2-3 days.
in my previous life, when i used to buy gin :) , i have found that the flavour/aroma/taste can almost completely dissipate if the bottle is left open.
i don't know if that is similar to 'mellowing' you mention, but i prefer to keep my gins closed after bottling.
i appreciate that the gin changes and combines over the initial 5 weeks in the bottle, but if there are gin angels, they are not getting any of mine :lol:
Hi,

No do not mean after bottling, I mean after diluting the gin you need at least 3 weeks rest before bottling because of the bonding water and alcohol molecules. it takes time.
Oatmeal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oatmeal »

I'm just learning to make gin. It's fun! I just realized we have some linden trees in our neighborhood and will give this recipie a shot when they bloom. Also excited to learn about tea as an ingredient. Thanks for sharing!
Through the magic of alchemy, our spirits live on.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Oatmeal wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:21 am I'm just learning to make gin. It's fun! I just realized we have some linden trees in our neighborhood and will give this recipie a shot when they bloom. Also excited to learn about tea as an ingredient. Thanks for sharing!
It is really fun indeed, the main thing is experimentation, and I really like it, lindentree has a very delicate sweetness I really like it, thanks for the kind words.
Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

Arto,

The botanicals, do you add the 25.09g of botanicals to 1000ml @60% or do you reduce the volume so that when diluted back to 43% that you will end up with 1000ml @43%?
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

You reduce the volume... or at least that's what I did. The grams / litre value fits nicely for a 1000ml boiler charge so if you're macerating at 60% then you want to have calculated the amount so that you can dilute down to 43% and end up with 1000ml.

TBH... I just macerated at 43%. And I don't have a spice grinder that gets me a fine grind so I just beat them up in my pestle and mortar as I always do. And it still tastes fantastic. I let it macerate for a few days before stilling, largely due to time constraints.

artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Andrew_90 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:27 am Arto,

The botanicals, do you add the 25.09g of botanicals to 1000ml @60% or do you reduce the volume so that when diluted back to 43% that you will end up with 1000ml @43%?
Hi Andrew,

I intentionally macerated the botanicals in 655 ml %60 ABV in order to extract more in a short period of time, after the maceration is over in 4 hours and 30 minutes I added 259 ml water so when I add this much water I ended up with 914 ml @ %43 ABV, I hope this is clear. the reason why I used 914 ml instead of 1000 ml is because at the time, I had this much alcohol so I had to adjust the amount of botanicals due to that, in order for you to do that I will add a calculator to make it easier for you.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

When you use this Calculator, I already added number of botanicals in the recipe, you can change the volume at the top so all the ingredients will be calculated accordingly, it will make the calculation easier for you, could you please try and let me know if it is working for you.

Arto's Gin Calculator.xlsx
(15.62 KiB) Downloaded 230 times
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

NormandieStill wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:27 am You reduce the volume... or at least that's what I did. The grams / litre value fits nicely for a 1000ml boiler charge so if you're macerating at 60% then you want to have calculated the amount so that you can dilute down to 43% and end up with 1000ml.

TBH... I just macerated at 43%. And I don't have a spice grinder that gets me a fine grind so I just beat them up in my pestle and mortar as I always do. And it still tastes fantastic. I let it macerate for a few days before stilling, largely due to time constraints.
Hi,

NormandieStill, if you are going to macerate @ 43 % ABV I strongly advise you to just crush the with mortar and pestle not grind them and also keep it for 24 hours maceration. In the recipe I just keep the maceration short, because I grind them, so there is increased surface area, but to that 60% ABV I put all the botanicals that is calculated for 1 liter, the numbers that I give in the recipe, then I add water to bring it back to %43 ABV.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

artooks wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:43 am NormandieStill, if you are going to macerate @ 43 % ABV I strongly advise you to just crush the with mortar and pestle not grind them and also keep it for 24 hours maceration. In the recipe I just keep the maceration short, because I grind them, so there is increased surface area, but to that 60% ABV I put all the botanicals that is calculated for 1 liter, the numbers that I give in the recipe, then I add water to bring it back to %43 ABV.
Yeah. I essentially took your botanical list and ran it using the OEG method. I let it macerate at least 24 hours and then distill with the botanicals in.

Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

Thanks fellers,

Was going to macerate and run today but cannot find dried Sage anywhere. We seem to have a national shortage. Going to run a small 3l batch tomorrow if I can find some Sage somewhere.

Cheers
Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

artooks wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:37 am When you use this Calculator, I already added number of botanicals in the recipe, you can change the volume at the top so all the ingredients will be calculated accordingly, it will make the calculation easier for you, could you please try and let me know if it is working for you.

Arto's Gin Calculator.xlsx
Many thanks, will play with the calculator tonight and see how it works.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Thanks hope you like it. Well the shortage is everywhere in everything unfortunately.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Just made 1 Gallon of Shady's Sugar Shine, will make my recipe soon I will document it here as well.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi Everyone,

I just added a new botanical to this recipe so the new recipe is now called. The new botanical is called " Melissa Leaves" added 0.5 grams / liter.

Arto's Gin V3.5

7) Melissa Leaves: 0.5 Grams
8 ) Lindentree Blossom: 1 Grams
9 ) Earl Grey Tea: 2 Grams

Total Botanicals per litre: 25.59 Gr / lt

Next week I will make this recipe.
Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

If I am unable to get Sage tomorrow could you suggest a substitute?
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Andrew_90 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:51 am If I am unable to get Sage tomorrow could you suggest a substitute?
if you cannot find sage in that case just increase the linden tree blossom to 1.25 grams / liter and Earl Grey Tea to 2.25 gram. No problem.
I have tried gins with heavy botanical bills, believe me the best gins that I have made is the ones with less botanicals. In my case 10 botanicals is the maximum that you should go I would prefer 5-6 but it will be impossible to distinguish the taste with gins with heavy botanical bills to the best way is to keep it 6-7 botanicals. Just try without Sage and please share your view, but please try to grind all the botanicals and leave them for 4 hours and 30 minutes.
Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

I had a thought.

Can you not simply add some of the 60% ABV alcohol to the botanicals and blitz them with a hand lender to get them real fine.

I have used a pestle and motar but it is a mission.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Andrew_90 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:37 am I had a thought.

Can you not simply add some of the 60% ABV alcohol to the botanicals and blitz them with a hand lender to get them real fine.

Thanks but I first use the grinder to make everything like a powder then when I add that mix to 60 % ABV it has a high surface area which helps the alcohol to extract more from that mix.
Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

artooks wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:51 pm

Thanks but I first use the grinder to make everything like a powder then when I add that mix to 60 % ABV it has a high surface area which helps the alcohol to extract more from that mix.
Thanks
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

artooks wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:38 am Hi Everyone,

I just added a new botanical to this recipe so the new recipe is now called. The new botanical is called " Melissa Leaves" added 0.5 grams / liter.
I just made a test batch of gin with camomile and lemon balm (melissa). Both at 0.16g / litre. I find it very herby. Neat the juniper is very present but mixed into a G+T you get a strong herbaceous cut grass odour. It's only been a week since I distilled it though so it might yet settle out some. I'll be interested in how you get on with the addition in yours. It'll help establish whether it was the camomile or the lemon balm that added that note.

That's an interesting idea, but my hand-held blender is plastic. Perhaps when we get a SS one I might try it...

...then again, I'm rarely that pressed to run a new gin. I can afford to let it macerate for a few days before running it.