All things to do with making of gin

Moderator: Site Moderator

TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Gin basket column setup

Post by TwoSheds »

All,

I understand you could use a gin basket above a dephlegmator in a reflux still to do a one-and-done gin from a neutral wash, obviously you'd have to be concerned with heads and may lose some of your prime botanical flavors in the heads, but...

If I were to take an already distilled neutral, hearts only, water it down to 30-40% and run that with a gin basket is there any need for reflux/dephleg or any packing or copper in the path for that matter?

It makes sense that reflux would mean a higher concentration of alcohol in the vapor passing by the botanicals, is that needed for better extraction?

Thanks.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Gin basket column setup

Post by NZChris »

What design is the gin basket? Many I’ve seen on forums and for sale are far too small for the amount of botanicals for the size of the boiler.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I believe there is a whole thread on placement before or after the dephlagmater for the gin basket.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Bushman wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:42 pm I believe there is a whole thread on placement before or after the dephlagmater for the gin basket.
Yessir. There are several ways to skin that cat.

One and done is a good way to fritter away botanical goodness unless you have a valved manifold that will allow you to redirect vapor to the gin head after your heads cut.

There are also varying opinions on the optimal ABV to push across your botanicals.

Me? I'd rather do all the rectification first.
Then push your clean vapor across your botanicals.

If you have a legit gin program, at the end of the year you'll ultimately save man hours by taking the ( percieved) longer road as your still behavior will be so much better with a clean, higher abv compared to a dirty beer charge.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

I couldn’t find a thread specifically on this though it comes up for sure, but again, not talking about the gin basket above or below the dephlegmator, but rather if the dephlegmator is needed at all.

If I’m charging with (wrong “low wines” corrected) clean neutrals watered down to 30-40%, is it beneficial to run reflux before the gin basket or will I get as good a result running basically like a pot still with a gin basket?
Last edited by TwoSheds on Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

NZChris wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:20 pm What design is the gin basket? Many I’ve seen on forums and for sale are far too small for the amount of botanicals for the size of the boiler.
Using a 3 gallon boiler and a 2” column I’m looking to use a reducer to go to 3” and have 3” diameter x 6” tall section as the gin basket.

I’d appreciate any feedback on if that seems the right scale, but I also plan to collect in small portions (8 oz mason jars +/-) and blend based on smell and taste. If the botanicals die out before the end of the run I’d add the end of the run to the next batch of neutrals.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

My opinion is that you will get rubbish running in pot mode using low wines.
Your far better off to make the base spirit first, then do a gin run.
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:57 pm My opinion is that you will get rubbish running in pot mode using low wines.
Your far better off to make the base spirit first, then do a gin run.
Sorry, if you read my original post you’ll see that I’m asking if I have a clean, hearts-only base spirit made and water it down to 30-40% then run it, do I still need the dephlegmator?

I misspoke saying ‘30-40% low wines’.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

In that case you will not need the dephleg.....just run as a pot still. Vary output speed by heat control.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Is there a reason why you want to use a gin basket? Most of my gins are made with most of the botanicals in the boiler.
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

NZChris wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:36 pm Is there a reason why you want to use a gin basket? Most of my gins are made with most of the botanicals in the boiler.
I’m new to this, but in to experiment. I’m sure I’ll try both ways with many ingredients, but from what I’ve read here and elsewhere it seems like a more delicate and aromatic flavor can come out of a vapor infusion than a liquid one, at least for certain ingredients.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Don't mistake marketing propaganda for expertise. Also, there are differences between inline baskets that reflux back down into the boiler, (like yours will), and Carter Heads that don't.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

TwoSheds wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:46 pm it seems like a more delicate and aromatic flavor can come out of a vapor infusion
Both will provide a large range of gins, what you end up with will depend on many things, base spirit quality, botanical quality and amount of botanicals, how you run the still, and more than likely ABV of boiler charge.
Mostly baskets in my opinion make "light modern day woozy gins"
Maceration makes gin that tastes like real Gin.
Gin makin is a whole new rabbit hole to wander down.
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:01 am Mostly baskets in my opinion make "light modern day woozy gins"
Maceration makes gin that tastes like real Gin.
LOL! Love this opinion. I have a place in my heart for both and am looking forward to experimenting, tasting, blending, etc...
NZChris wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:21 am Don't mistake marketing propaganda for expertise. Also, there are differences between inline baskets that reflux back down into the boiler, (like yours will), and Carter Heads that don't.
Even when it comes to opinions from those with experience it's hard to tell who's actually done their own experiments and who's just spouting off the propaganda they've been told.

The Carter Head/offset gin basket is something I hadn't given a lot of thought. How does that impact the results? Do you collect anything that refluxes from the gin basket at the end?

Since I'm going tri clamp all around I should never be more than a few adapters away from trying something new.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

I am with NZ and Saltbush on this one 8) I switched from vapour infusion to maceration quite some time ago.

BUT, knock your socks off! The gins I made with a basket were perfectly fine; the maceration are just more flavourful.
-- Rrmuf
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Some of the gadgets marketed as Carter Heads have a drain valve, but they should run dry. By the end of a run, mine is lined with green tar and is a bitch to clean. No VOCs can run back into the boiler to be boiled with other VOCs, which is what happens normally, or with an inline basket.

I very rarely use mine and only for specific gins. They should be run very slow, taking many hours.
HighlandWee
Novice

Post by HighlandWee »

TwoSheds wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:17 am The Carter Head/offset gin basket is something I hadn't given a lot of thought. How does that impact the results? Do you collect anything that refluxes from the gin basket at the end?

Since I'm going tri clamp all around I should never be more than a few adapters away from trying something new.
Your original question, of using a reflux condenser on top of your boiler before the carter head and product condenser. This works but you would need a really good neutral as it is just a pot still letting all flavour through.

Personally, I put a wash through my 4inch 4plate still, collect only the hearts from a stripping run at 91-88% abv. Then combine two stripping runs and water down to a safe level.

For a few months I added a packed section before the reflux condenser and did another run to create the neutral. This was collected at 94% abv, I no longer do this for Gin.

I add the carter head after the reflux and before the product condenser. Once i have sweet spot with water and power, I turn down the water to the reflux and begin collecting. All fores and heads were removed in the first stripping runs, so no need to collect and remove these in the product run. When the bottom of the carter head gets to the point of flowing back to the boiler I drain it into jars. I can tell by the colour of this liquid when it is time to put the still back into reflux and then safely swap out to fresh botanicals. Then turn down the water to the reflux and collect the product again. When the third plate starts to water up, I stop collecting product, this is usually at 88%abv. If you have a small boiler (30ltr) , you should not need to swap to fresh botanicals.

The collected jars from the carter head go into my feints keg, would not want these in the boiler or in the final product. But the first of the drained off liquid from the bottom of the carter head is amazing, someone brighter than myself could no doubt make a throat soothing syrup from it.

I have made gin for years and have found this process make the best gin of all the other iterations I have tried. I am sure you will find a process that you enjoy that makes the product you enjoy.

We drink this Gin with Soda water, a pleasure to drink. Heavy oily gin's and tonic are like drinking an old draught beer, when there are fresher option like an ipa.