Boiling or Vaporizing Botanicals?

All things to do with making of gin

Moderator: Site Moderator

StillStillington
Novice

Boiling or Vaporizing Botanicals?

Post by StillStillington »

I just began my research into making some gin. One common thread that I found was the use of a Gin basket to extract the flavors of the botanicals added to the process. So I did a simple google search "How gin is made?" and found short several videos. To my surprise, the first two I found used the boil method (throwing botanicals in with spirits during distillation). Honestly, I didn't even know this was a method because so many people mention the vapor path method. Sorry if my terminology is incorrect.

My question is, has anyone tried each of these methods? which do you prefer? and Has any tried both of these methods at the same time?

Vapor path method:

Boil Method:
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Re: Boiling or Vaporizing Botanicals?

Post by Twisted Brick »

StillStillington wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:50 am
My question is, has anyone tried each of these methods? which do you prefer? and Has any tried both of these methods at the same time?
Wow. There are so many methods of infusing/macerating gin botanicals into NGS that there are too many to list. Yes, there are many, many distillers who have done either or both methods. Thankfully, they have shared their results and preferences based on comprehensive testing and tasting.

Take a gander at the list of threads here under "GIN". Be prepared, though, to do a lot of reading. Every time I read through them I always come to the same conclusion: Start with OEG (Odin's Easy Gin) and make adjustments accordingly.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Twisted Brick wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:29 am
StillStillington wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:50 am
Wow. There are so many methods of infusing/macerating gin botanicals into NGS that there are too many to list. Yes, there are many, many distillers who have done either or both methods. Thankfully, they have shared their results and preferences based on comprehensive testing and tasting.

Take a gander at the list of threads here under "GIN". Be prepared, though, to do a lot of reading. Every time I read through them I always come to the same conclusion: Start with OEG (Odin's Easy Gin) and make adjustments accordingly.
+1 to what Twisted said as there is a massive body of experience on this subject here. At the end of the day the question is subjective, and cannot be answered because it depends on your personal taste. Do a run of OEG and you'll at least have a solid place from which to progress.

GL

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Personaly i use the maceration method then chuck everything in the boiler.
Gin baskets are a waste of good botanicals in my opinion.....probably nice to play with if you want a tasteless " modern" gin.
Anyone one who sells stills or parts will encourage you to buy a basket though.
Most people that i know dont use one.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:35 pm Personaly i use the maceration method then chuck everything in the boiler.
Gin baskets are a waste of good botanicals in my opinion.....probably nice to play with if you want a tasteless " modern" gin.
Anyone one who sells stills or parts will encourage you to buy a basket though.
Most people that i know dont use one.
Switch to propane for that method? I run electric. Am I doomed to having bland tasteless SBB rejected Gin?? :esurprised:
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Stonecutter wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:04 pm Switch to propane for that method?
I use my old T500 boiler which is electric.....they do not use an exposed element.
If I didnt own it I would build a small dedicated gin still to use on propane / LPG.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Brilliant! I’ve got a 3 gallon milk can boiler that I was already planning on using as a dedicated gin boiler. Charged with stripping runs from a 26 gallon plated column. I was intending to use a gin basket but now I can try both. I’ll just use the blichmann hellfire burner that I use for the mash. Should be plenty of BTU’s :thumbup: Will be a while before I get there though. Keep on truckin’
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

For those reading along it worth mentioning that the title neglects Steeping/Maceration as a method along side with Boiler and vapor infusion methods.

Cross flow condenser

Post by NZChris »

Expat wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:24 pm For those reading along it worth mentioning that the title neglects Steeping/Maceration as a method along side with Boiler and vapor infusion methods.
That's something I haven't tried yet.

You can also top up, or add, a botanical after the distillation using the liqueur du pendu method.

I macerate from 0-24 hours and have distilled with everything in the pot, everything in a basket, some in each and everything in a Carter Head. I don't think there is a 'best' method, I just use the method that I think is best suited to the style of gin I'm making at the time. Most of mine are an overnight maceration and distilled with everything in the pot.

Baskets seem to have an online reputation that they don't deserve, plus there are plenty of suboptimal units for sale online, most of them far too small for the boilers they are being sold for, many are poorly designed versions of what the sellers are pretending they are.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

NZChris wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:58 pm
Expat wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:24 pm For those reading along it worth mentioning that the title neglects Steeping/Maceration as a method along side with Boiler and vapor infusion methods.

You can also top up, or add, a botanical after the distillation using the liqueur du pendu method.

I macerate from 0-24 hours and have distilled with everything in the pot, everything in a basket, some in each and everything in a Carter Head. I don't think there is a 'best' method, I just use the method that I think is best suited to the style of gin I'm making at the time. Most of mine are an overnight maceration and distilled with everything in the pot.

Baskets seem to have an online reputation that they don't deserve, plus there are plenty of suboptimal units for sale online, most of them far too small for the boilers they are being sold for, many are poorly designed versions of what the sellers are pretending they are.
+1 on the baskets
Even the sellers of the T500 admit that their gin basket is too small (I won't name them, I have been told off before! :( )
I now use the macerate and boil method but next batch will be macerate and boil but put citrus in the vapour path.

=1 on the Odins, great starting point for a gin.
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

What is the reasoning for putting the citrus only in the vapour path?
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Should be many posts on maceration and then distillation. I tried several botanists with maceration and is an exceptional method, I also tried the difference between filtering the liquid and insert the botanists in the boiler but I prefer to filter (less vegetable flavor). But I must add that everything depends on what you are looking for ... many variables here: botanists who use, time, quantity, strong or delicate flavor, balancing of flavors, etc. Only some of the variables. In general the gin basket will give more delicate flavors while maceration extracts more flavor but it is generalized ..
StillStillington
Novice

Post by StillStillington »

Thanks for everyones insight. I will definitely try the maceration method. sorry I left that out. I have a still with an interior heating element so i would imagine throwing the ingredients inside the still is not a good idea. Unless I can find a way to float them away from the heating source. I had my reservations about using a gin basket. My still is very small. From what it sounds, a gin basket would be a waste of money for me. At least while im starting my journey. maybe I will get one once I upgrade.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

StillStillington wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:39 am Thanks for everyones insight. I will definitely try the maceration method. sorry I left that out. I have a still with an interior heating element so i would imagine throwing the ingredients inside the still is not a good idea. Unless I can find a way to float them away from the heating source. I had my reservations about using a gin basket. My still is very small. From what it sounds, a gin basket would be a waste of money for me. At least while im starting my journey. maybe I will get one once I upgrade.
Sounds like you're on the right track. Do a run of OEG and I think you'll have a good drop and plenty of useful info on what you might like to do next.

Cross flow condenser

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:20 pm What is the reasoning for putting the citrus only in the vapour path?
I was hoping to make the citrus more pronounced and crisper.

One other comment that I think I have made before is that when I did Odin's with the full macerate and boil with the botanicals in the boiler, the gin was fantastic and described by one of my Italian friends as "a man's gin". Full of flavour.
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

[quote=NZChris post_id=7676102 time=1626904704

[/quote]

For example?
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

LWTCS wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:35 am [quote=NZChris post_id=7676102 time=1626904704

For example?
[/quote]
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=75951
Will Stilltry
Novice

Post by Will Stilltry »

I realise this post is a bit late and slightly off topic, but I have only just watched the Piger Henricus video from earlier in this thread and am curious to know who would agree or disagree with my observation. Having spent many hours reading about different styles of gin, different botanicals used and the different methods employed, I was under the impression that for a gin to be classified as 'London Dry', it could only have water and a very small amount of sugar or sweetener added after distillation. Nowhere have I read that you can add half a field of parsnips and still call it 'London Dry'!
What is everyone else's take on this?

Will
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

It's London dry... Until they add the parsnips.
Interestingly the label doesn't state london dry as far as I can tell. Sounds like the tv guys took some liberties with it.
Rabid_Raccoon
Novice

Post by Rabid_Raccoon »

Maceration, Boiler or Vapour? Why not any or all?

Make a run with your bot profile and see what pulls out of each method. Tweek your process to match the results you want.

Somewhere I read that adding the more delicate bots(orris rood, angelica, GoP, etc) to vapour path will lend toward a lighter and "sweeter" result and the bigger, bolder juniper and coriander can be added to boiler to boost profile from there.

Nobody says there has to be just one way to achieve the gin you want, take many roads and share what you find!

RR
Mares
Novice

Post by Mares »

To avoid opening a new thread, I find my following question in relation to this. Any difference macerating fruit for couple days in a gin after spirit run instead of macerating fruit before spirit run? Also, this questions could be applied to botanicals. For instance, spirit run is done with specific maceration (mixture of NGS, botanicals) and I want to add a touch of apple (or any type of fruit). Would there be any difference in taste/aroma of a gin where fruit (apple in this case) is macerated with finished product?

I practice to macerate fruit all together with other botanicals and do a spirit run with everything loaded into boiler, but I do not know if there would be change if fruit/specific herb is added into final product, left macerated for some time, removed from gin and filtered (if required) before drinking?
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

There is so much to this question that you could write a book or you could just throw some juniper in a pot and boil the shit out of it.

My two cents:

I think there is a combination of macerating and vapor infusion, and taking mostly hearts cuts that are going to get me the best combination of citrus and juniper without cloudiness but I could be completely wrong. I don't think a true London dry gets the flavor but I also think a heavy maceration is too much. Gin... Vodka with some dirt in it.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Mares wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:52 am To avoid opening a new thread, I find my following question in relation to this. Any difference macerating fruit for couple days in a gin after spirit run instead of macerating fruit before spirit run? Also, this questions could be applied to botanicals. For instance, spirit run is done with specific maceration (mixture of NGS, botanicals) and I want to add a touch of apple (or any type of fruit). Would there be any difference in taste/aroma of a gin where fruit (apple in this case) is macerated with finished product?

I practice to macerate fruit all together with other botanicals and do a spirit run with everything loaded into boiler, but I do not know if there would be change if fruit/specific herb is added into final product, left macerated for some time, removed from gin and filtered (if required) before drinking?
.... and there are many other variables that will make a difference, and NOBODY here can tell you what you will prefer.

HOWEVER, start with a T&T, take good notes, taste and repeat. THAT is how you will learn. Small batches will make it all happen faster.

+1 on the gin baskets. I have one, used it at first, and I don't any more..... but I like having it around in case I decide to move something from the boiler to the vapour path. TBD. I will try it again some day.
-- Rrmuf
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Mares wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:52 am To avoid opening a new thread, I find my following question in relation to this. Any difference macerating fruit for couple days in a gin after spirit run instead of macerating fruit before spirit run? Also, this questions could be applied to botanicals. For instance, spirit run is done with specific maceration (mixture of NGS, botanicals) and I want to add a touch of apple (or any type of fruit). Would there be any difference in taste/aroma of a gin where fruit (apple in this case) is macerated with finished product?

It's easier to add some clear apple juice when proofing than it is to macerate.
tox
Novice

Post by tox »

Hi all,

I have tried a few different things, started (and continue) with Odins gin. Such a great start. I have an old air still so can chuck everything in the boiler. I have tried the maceration for 0, 24, 48 hours and then everything in the boiler. Works pretty good, stronger flavours the longer I let macerate. Also thrown in some different citrus peals. best is mandarin skins I have found. The best result I had was a mandarin skin sitting in 80%abv neutral for a couple of days. went yellow after few hours and also added few cut birds-eye chillis into the 80% with mandarin peel.

When I added the usual botanicals into the boiler I added the mandarin/chilli stuff as well. Once distilled, (air still runs hot as its a 750w version), it came off at around 70% abv (charge was 35% abv) and the flavours were strong.

The mandarin flavour was better this way than just having it in the boiler or macerating with lower abv as per OEG.

Zero chilli flavour or heat. Could be just not enough chilli's.

Might be the flavoursome oils in the citrus get extracted from the higher abv and not the boiling process.
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

tox wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:12 pmThe best result I had was a mandarin skin sitting in 80%abv neutral for a couple of days. went yellow after few hours and also added few cut birds-eye chillis into the 80% with mandarin peel.
I had the same thought and think I'll try this next. Start with the amount of neutral (90+ abv in my case) with the mandarin peel for 2 or 3 days, then dilute to 60 and add the other botanicals and macerate for a day or two, then run.

My first OEG-style was light on the citrus and I'm trying to bring that up. It was probably partly because I left the citrus peel out of the boiler. I read somewhere that was recommended, but will keep it in next time.
tox
Novice

Post by tox »

Could be TwoSheds,

I use an airstill type pot for mine so just chuck it all in. But soaking the citrus in the high abv is so much better. You could even do a separate maceration for the other botanicals, separate both distillations and then blend amounts of the citrus extract into the OEG if you really want to bring up the citrus.