Gin from wash / mash

All things to do with making of gin

Moderator: Site Moderator

JM1010
Novice

Gin from wash / mash

Post by JM1010 »

I understand that it is preferable to start from a pure spirit base and then add your botanical to your second distill run but I wondered if anyone had success in adding the botanicals ( minus the orange peels) directy into the mash and do a first run with the botanicals in the pot. Clearly it’s not the preferred route but I wonder if it yeilds an “ok” product when time is tight:)
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Re: Gin from wash / mash

Post by OtisT »

From my experience I believe that the process you are asking about will not turn out well. You really need to have a very clean spirit, already cut, to start with before adding botanicals and making gin. Most of the folks I know who make gin process their spirit twice before a gin run. First a strip and then a good fractioning run that is cut very clean.

One big issue with your idea is that many of the desirable oils from botanicals come across very early in a run, in the first few jars. If your spirit is not already clean and it requires a cut, you will be cutting out the best of your oils along with the worst of the spirit.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Note - this thread was originated in the Mashing & Fermentation forum: https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=84230

It is always best to post a thread in the “correct” forum and avoid double or triple threads that are basically the same.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Agree with Odin. Maybe I would get a very slight aroma but most would be lost.
JM1010
Novice

Post by JM1010 »

Thanks Otis for explaining clearly why it doesn't make sense. I did not realize that a good chunk of the botanical flavour would be removed with the head / foreshots. Learn something every day!