Botanicals - Powdered vs. Raw Form

All things to do with making of gin

Moderator: Site Moderator

Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Botanicals - Powdered vs. Raw Form

Post by Andrew_90 »

When specifying quantities in Gin recipes some things are clear. Pepper corns are counted, dried citrus peel is weighed but then we get things that come in both root / bark form or these can be ground.

When one reads a recipe what is s convention; is the botanical measured in whole form or in powdered form, I am specifically referring here to;

Cassia Bark
Orris Root
Angelica Root

Further to this, when macerating botanicals surely a powdered form will impart character almost immediately. Reason for the question. I need to get some botanicals macerating, I am missing 2 which come in powdered form. Cn these be added a couple of days before doing the spirit run.
One too many wasted sunsets, one too many for the road.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Botanicals - Powdered vs. Raw Form

Post by still_stirrin »

Andrew,

I typically use the X/10 and X/100 formulation using weight as the measure. I have a triple beam scale and I can accurately weigh to 0.1 gram, so it works adequately when batching a gin recipe.

As to whether to use “powdered” or whole botanicals, I always prefer whole botanicals as they have a much fresher quality. Powdered spices lose a lot of the freshness due to processing and packaging. And specifically juniper berries are best when a little moist (squeezy). I usually crush the botanical in a mortar and pestle right before macerating. The smell is wonderful.
ss

p.s. - Always keep a record of what you weigh or measure so you can “hone” the recipe to your preference on subsequent batches. Practice makes perfect.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

SS is correct , weight is the way to measure......there can be no mistakes that way,.
Whole spices crushed as you need them will provide better flavour than those bought ready ground.
Cassia bark needs no grinding , just break off the size / weight piece you want and add it to the mix.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Cassia Bark
Orris Root
Angelica Root

I use all of those without grinding. The roots I slice or chop when harvesting.
Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

Many thanks gentlemen.
One too many wasted sunsets, one too many for the road.
tommysb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tommysb »

And what are people's thoughts on grinding/powdering prior to infusion/maceration? I would expect to get more extraction from the herbs that way.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Personally, I avoid grinding altogether. I mildly crush them in a pummel and have seen people use a blade coffee grinder but only lightly. .... and I am extremely careful with the Cassia (in the vapour path) because the only bad gin I've made taste like Cassia and nothing else. I want to try it again, but it will be with considerable care :-)
-- Rrmuf
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

tommysb wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:19 am And what are people's thoughts on grinding/powdering prior to infusion/maceration?
There is no need to grind so fine.
I have read that a too fine grind can add bitterness to a gin.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:22 am
tommysb wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:19 am And what are people's thoughts on grinding/powdering prior to infusion/maceration?
There is no need to grind so fine.
I have read that a too fine grind can add bitterness to a gin.
+1 .... I've read the same and got very similar guidance apecifically on juniper berries, but I cannot say I've really tested it.
-- Rrmuf
higgins
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by higgins »

I use a blade grinder and grind rather finely. I've not perceived any bitterness in the OEGs that I've made, but I'll try using a mortar and pestle for the next batch as a comparison. It may be a few more weeks, but I'll report back.
Higgins
Flute build
Steamer build
4 methods experiment
Next up: AG Wheat vodka
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

One botanical I use in powdered form is licorice root.... a bit by default since it is the only form I could readily get it in.

Aside from that Oris root is particularly hard so I literally have to crush it with pliers to open it up. Not a real problem because I end up using only a little bit.
-- Rrmuf