Triple Gin

All things to do with making of gin

Moderator: Site Moderator

Broken Jug
Bootlegger

Triple Gin

Post by Broken Jug »

To begin with, this isn’t a new recipe. It’s about the mistakes I made trying to make a gin that I almost threw out.

Over a year ago, I wanted to try making a gin. I started with Shady’s Sugar Shine recipe minus the epsom salt for the neutral base, then went by Oden’s Easy Gin recipe.

Unfortunately, I got carried away with the citrus and a little bit too much juniper berries.

After macerating the botanicals, I re-distilled with the botanicals in the boiler. After airing it out and cutting it to 45%, I tried it. After trying it, I lied to myself and others that it was good, it really wasn’t. I let it sit for almost a year and tried it again, still didn’t like it, too much citrus and another flavor I can’t explain.

So almost a month ago, I re-distilled it again. My next mistake was to add more juniper berries to the boiler so I don’t lose the flavor when re-distill it. Well, that was the wrong thing to do, juniper came across strong but with more of a evergreen/pine tree flavor I did not like.

So I re-distilled it a third time this past weekend. It was much better, but I still wasn’t happy with it.

So this evening I decided to just dump it all out, but before I did, I cut it with some distilled water to 40% and tasted it. All I can say is I’m glad I didn’t throw it out.

It made a very smooth and light tasting gin, which I love.

Triple distilling it seems to have fixed my screw up
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Triple Gin

Post by NZChris »

If gin is too intense, you can fix it by adding neutral.

If a flavor is too intense, you can fix it by making another batch of gin without the offending botanical then blending the two.

If you are wanting to drink it straight but it's not great at your desired ABV, lower your expectations and drop the ABV.