Dedicated Gin Still

All things to do with making of gin

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Dedicated Gin Still

Post by Bushman »

Currently I have my own recipe but follow Odin’s easy gin technique for making it and plan to continue with a few modifications. Currently I macerate my botanicals in my neutral and run it through my 5 gallon essential oil still. I just ordered two parts from StillDragon to build a new 5 gallon still with a gin basket. I still plan to macerate as I think more flavor comes through but I want to experiment with adding additionally to the gin basket. Not sure how much it will add but until I do it I wont know for sure.
I have 5 antique 5 gallon stainless steel milk buckets the one that is a different shape I use for my essential oil. I am hoping to build my 4th still soon.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Dedicated Gin Still

Post by Stonecutter »

Once you’re using the basket are you planning on running that boiler at 75% capacity Bushman? Maybe that’s a question yet to be answered once you’ve run a couple. I’ve got a 3 gallon milk can I’d like to dedicate but I was wondering if 2.25 gallons was too much? I would also like to eventually vapor infuse along with Odins macerating technique but am trying to avoid bitterness from over cooking the contents (probably just fruit peels for now) of the basket.
Just kicking around some ideas. Was interested in your take
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

A lot of unanswered questions in my mind. Do I add the spent botanicals, do I add more new of the same, do I add different botanicals to the gin basket. I have a 4” gin basket my son got me several years ago so I am making a copper top for my 5 gallon milk. I just purchased from StillDragon a 4” copper ferrule that I will solder to the top. I also bought a 4” to 2” stainless steel reducer from StillDragon thus I can put the gin basket between the two or not use the gin basket and go directly from the 4” ferrule to the reducer. I am guessing this is going to lead to a lot of experimenting which I haven’t done for several years.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I will post pictures of my build on the construction site when I get started.
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

From my experience - Macerating vs Vapor extraction:
Maceration will pull a more complete flavor profile from a botanical as it has more time and water to extract water soluble components. More of those water soluble flavors will come across. You won't necessarily get a ton but more than vapor. Vapor will really only pull alcohol soluble components well. THIS DOES NOT MEAN ONE IS BETTER THAN THE OTHER. It means you need to understand each botanical. Sometime you only want to pull the alcohol soluble components, sometimes you want to keep some of the water soluble ones. The vapor basket will also provide a cleaner flavor. It's more precise of a tool. You're extracting specific flavors. Big guys that don't have a dedicated gin still have to use a gin basket so they don't have to clean the entire still, only the gin basket and vapor path after the gin basket.

The leave in vs not - this is more about extracting as much of the botanical's flavor as you can. There are some things I found that don't like to be left in, like leafy things like lemongrass, bay leaf, mint, etc, as they end up with a cooked flavor.

For the gin basket: Don't crowd it. The more you put in there the harder it is to extract it. If I could design one differently I would make a large flat mesh plate. And anything you put in a gin basket mix it up so it's not layered. This will help get a more complete flavor profile from it. Things at the top and in the center don't get as much steam as what in the bottom and sides so there is less extraction.

So the options are:
Macerate and pull - Best for water soluble components whose flavors may change during distillation (like leafy green stuff) or if you have a direct heat source that might damage botanicals.
Macerate and distill - For maximum extraction of botanicals that can handle heat
Gin basket - For things that you only want to specifically pull alcohol soluble compounds from.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Bushman wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:31 pm A lot of unanswered questions in my mind. Do I add the spent botanicals, do I add more new of the same, do I add different botanicals to the gin basket. I have a 4” gin basket my son got me several years ago so I am making a copper top for my 5 gallon milk. I just purchased from StillDragon a 4” copper ferrule that I will solder to the top. I also bought a 4” to 2” stainless steel reducer from StillDragon thus I can put the gin basket between the two or not use the gin basket and go directly from the 4” ferrule to the reducer. I am guessing this is going to lead to a lot of experimenting which I haven’t done for several years.
That’s good shit man.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Oatmeal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oatmeal »

Most informative post, Single Malt Yizner. Thank you!
Through the magic of alchemy, our spirits live on.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Update: I have the base built on 5 gallon gin still with the gin basket. Was going to start a new thread in the build forum but thought I would continue here. Below is my antique 5 gallon stainless steel pot (I bought 4 of them a while back). Made a top with a 4” opening for my ferrule that connects the gin basket. Above the gin basket I am reducing from 4” to 2” and will continue with the column and product condenser.
7952C53E-3CFD-431F-87D2-883CED36A942.jpeg
Oatmeal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oatmeal »

Oh ho. Well done!
Through the magic of alchemy, our spirits live on.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Nice!
... and Thanks SMY: That is a good bit of information to ponder.
:thumbup:
-- Rrmuf
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Bushman wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:40 pm Update: I have the base built on 5 gallon gin still with the gin basket. Was going to start a new thread in the build forum but thought I would continue here. Below is my antique 5 gallon stainless steel pot (I bought 4 of them a while back). Made a top with a 4” opening for my ferrule that connects the gin basket. Above the gin basket I am reducing from 4” to 2” and will continue with the column and product condenser.
7952C53E-3CFD-431F-87D2-883CED36A942.jpeg
Very nice! I use a robobrew and the alco engine pot head for gin.. No more in my main column.. Was a lot of cleaning runs to get it clean!!!!!

That's a thing of beauty!

B
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Bushman wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:40 pm… Below is my antique 5 gallon stainless steel pot (I bought 4 of them a while back)…
Bushman, I know what that is.

I grew up on a dairy farm and when dad started milking he used 5 gallon milk pails just like that to milk. We had 3 stalls and probably a half dozen of those buckets. The herd was only about 10 to 15 cows back then. But some of the cows could just about fill one bucket twice a day (God bless ‘em). :clap:
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Bushman wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:25 am Currently I have my own recipe but follow Odin’s easy gin technique for making it and plan to continue with a few modifications. Currently I macerate my botanicals in my neutral and run it through my 5 gallon essential oil still. I just ordered two parts from StillDragon to build a new 5 gallon still with a gin basket. I still plan to macerate as I think more flavor comes through but I want to experiment with adding additionally to the gin basket. Not sure how much it will add but until I do it I wont know for sure.
I have 5 antique 5 gallon stainless steel milk buckets the one that is a different shape I use for my essential oil. I am hoping to build my 4th still soon.
Oy mate? Why didn't you ping me so I could provide assistance?
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Single Malt Yinzer wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:58 pm From my experience - Macerating vs Vapor extraction:
Maceration will pull a more complete flavor profile from a botanical as it has more time and water to extract water soluble components. More of those water soluble flavors will come across. You won't necessarily get a ton but more than vapor. Vapor will really only pull alcohol soluble components well. THIS DOES NOT MEAN ONE IS BETTER THAN THE OTHER. It means you need to understand each botanical. Sometime you only want to pull the alcohol soluble components, sometimes you want to keep some of the water soluble ones. The vapor basket will also provide a cleaner flavor. It's more precise of a tool. You're extracting specific flavors. Big guys that don't have a dedicated gin still have to use a gin basket so they don't have to clean the entire still, only the gin basket and vapor path after the gin basket.

The leave in vs not - this is more about extracting as much of the botanical's flavor as you can. There are some things I found that don't like to be left in, like leafy things like lemongrass, bay leaf, mint, etc, as they end up with a cooked flavor.

For the gin basket: Don't crowd it. The more you put in there the harder it is to extract it. If I could design one differently I would make a large flat mesh plate. And anything you put in a gin basket mix it up so it's not layered. This will help get a more complete flavor profile from it. Things at the top and in the center don't get as much steam as what in the bottom and sides so there is less extraction.

So the options are:
Macerate and pull - Best for water soluble components whose flavors may change during distillation (like leafy green stuff) or if you have a direct heat source that might damage botanicals.
Macerate and distill - For maximum extraction of botanicals that can handle heat
Gin basket - For things that you only want to specifically pull alcohol soluble compounds from.
This is a legit point of view.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Larry the parts needed came fast and I’ve already incorporated them in the still. I have another 5 gallon still with a different milk pot I use for my essential oils. Really nice quality. My son bought me the gin basket from the same place he got his essential oil stilll and the gin basket is a lighter copper but since he gifted me the basket I knew I had to incorporate it.