Good 'grappa'

Moderator: Site Moderator

Watershed
Swill Maker

Good 'grappa'

Post by Watershed » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:45 pm

Just finished my grappa attempt - 5kg currants covered with boiling water then hit with a blender on coarse chop. Added cold water to 15l and a sachet of commercial pot distillers yeast.

After 1 day a thick crust had formed on top, I stirred it back in. Carried on stirring twice a day for three days.
Days four and five I left it undisturbed - it formed something like a geothermal mud poll - a solid crust with litte mud geysers of grape pulp splutting out.
Day six - skimmed off the crust straight into the still and topped up with some of the remaining wash to give an equal volume of solids and pulp - about 3 1/2 litres total volume.

Ran the still as slow as the stove allows, the foreshots came through at 60mins it took another 30mins for the first 25ml to come off ( disarded ), I let it run with tasting every 10 mins, at 2 hours the distillate was at 50% and tasting good, 2 hours 40 it had dropped to 45% and tasted bitter so I stopped collecting.

The result - 400ml of booze at 60%, ever so slightly yellow, I've diluted it to 50% and it's perfect - oily, earthy and runs in beads down the side of the glass when swriled.

I've still got the main wash to go - it needs another week from the taste.

Watershed