Grappa

Moderator: Site Moderator

Rivver
Swill Maker

Grappa

Post by Rivver »

I just picked about 25 lbs of a hybrid norton grape the other day and I've got them in the freezer for now. Any suggestions? My brother uses them every year for some great wine, but I'm not much of a wine drinker.

They've got great sugar content to them, hardly any tartness at all. Anyone have a good basic recipe for some grappa other than whats posted?
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Grappa

Post by Dnderhead »

are you set up for this? grappa is made much like wine only fermented on the skins,pulp,stems. then distilled same .so you need some way of keeping it from burning.
Rivver
Swill Maker

Post by Rivver »

Ahhh, did not realize that, I had planned on filtering out the pulp and skins.
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

One thing you can do is make the wine as you would normally, then use the skins to make a second wine by adding sugar and water to an abv of say 8-10%. You can strip both and then do a spirit run with the combined low wines. It's technically not a grappa, but you can get some of the flavors associated with grappa, especially with the second wine's contribution. The flavor of the skins can really come through this way and you also increase your yield. Don't go too high on the abv of the second wine or you'll ruin the whole thing.
I do all my own stunts
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

mite add...try to git the skins from making white wine.there will be more juice in them.
Rivver
Swill Maker

Post by Rivver »

Thanks for the advice guys. Any idea how much sugar for a 25-30l wash, or should I shoot for a certain SG?
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

sugar is not usually added,but if you want, add a small amount.
the more sugar /water that you use the less flavor.
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

I wouldn't use any sugar in the wine wash and use enough sugar in the second wine to get about 8% abv.

All the calculators are on the Parent Site, so you may as well learn your way around -

http://homedistiller.org/calcs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I do all my own stunts
Rivver
Swill Maker

Post by Rivver »

Sounds good, and thanks again. I'll keep a post when I get things started.