Grappa attempt

Moderator: Site Moderator

absinthoman

Grappa attempt

Post by absinthoman » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:52 pm

Hi again folks,

I'm new to this forum but I've been reading for a while. There's not too many topics about grappa in here. I just had 30Kg of frozed white grapes pomace 2 days ago. I planned to make grappa with it. I just wanted to know if what I planned to do is ok :

Mash
First, I'll weight 7,6Kg of pomace and add 7,6 litres of boiling water. Then I'll liquify everything in a blender. After that, I'll pressure cook for 20-30 minutes. Then add 1,5-2Kg of white sugar and top out with ice cold water in a glass carboy and bubble sterile air for 15 minutes with a air pump. I'll use a starter made from one 5gr pack of EC-1118, sugar and white grape juice.

Distillation
I'll strip run the mash with the residual pomace as fast as I can (with a metal colander in the bottom of the pot). Then I'll do a second distillation with my 10 litres copper pot still.

How does it sound??Any suggestions?

pothead
Rumrunner

Post by pothead » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:42 am

In my opinion...way to much work.

Keep it simple...
forget the pressure cooker,(waste of time...not needed)
Use more pomace(20lbs for a 20L batch)(i'd put it in a nylon straining bag)
Don't bother with the blender(another waste of time... not needed)
the added grape juice in my opinion will be too much grapey flavor.I wouldn't bother.
I'd use 10lbs sugar. And ferment the pomace,sugar and water in a Bucket with an airlock(not a carboy) and squeeze the nylon bag a couple times a day
Also I'd double the amount of yeast...

When it's done frementing in a couple weeks, slowly pull the nylon bag out, and press as much of the liquid out of it as possible.
run it in a pot still 1 pas, and REAL slow, collect the goods down to 40%abv
"Be nice to America, or we'll bring democracy to your country."
"The best things in life aren't things."

"Imagination is more important than Knowledge"-Albert Einstein

Aidas
Rumrunner

Post by Aidas » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:03 pm

It seems like you're creating work where you don't need it. Don't boil -- no need.

I wouldn't blender it -- your wash won't settle as well then. I also wouldn't necessarily add sugar, unless you're just trying to increase the strength of the mash -- it's not going to add any flavor...

Also, don't top up your carboy, because you're wash is going to "puke" (as gooseye would say). I'd do the primary in a bucket and then transfer to a carboy after the violent fermentation is done.

BTW, what's the ice cold water for? To cool it down after the unneccesary pressure cooking? If you up your pomace volume and your water volume, you won't need to top up, and will have a higher starting SG -- so no need for more sugar.

As for running it, run it slow and easy, collect the hearts, and run the heads and tails a second time. You won't be wasting anything, but you'll be able to compare a first run product with a double distillation. You'll see that the first run is very nice. Now that I've learned some, I only run fast and dirty when I don't have the time to sit by the still, or when I've got a lot of wash to get through quick (in the fall when the apple wash is done...) Then I collect for a double distillation run. I'm pretty sure that my first run product is nicer than my double distillations... be it whiskey, calvados, brandy or whathaveyou.

Aidas