Anyone else try an Antique Absinthe?

All about absinthe

Moderator: Site Moderator

kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Anyone else try an Antique Absinthe?

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Anyone else try an Antique Absinthe ?
Several seasons ago there was an offering of Spanish " Pernod Fils Tarragona " from the late 50's, early 60's...10cc for $40 so I went for it. I was given a whole bottle of a Romanian from the 80's...don't have the empty bottle in front of me, so I can't tell you the brand...
Anyone else have any old absinthe joy ?
Getting hung up all day on smiles
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Anyone else try an Antique Absinthe?

Post by Corsaire »

Probably that same Tarragona. Haven't opened it yet!
sweeps
Swill Maker

Post by sweeps »

The only vintage absinthe that I've tried since I started making my own was, surprise, a sample of Tarragona. I felt it was rather underwhelming, to be honest.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

sweeps wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:20 pm The only vintage absinthe that I've tried since I started making my own was, surprise, a sample of Tarragona. I felt it was rather underwhelming, to be honest.
I thought that "honey note" that lingers in your mouth after the trinity tastes fade was coriander...so I did a couple of small batches to try to imitate it, doubled and then tripled the coriander...I never came close and I can't figure out what that herb, if that's what it is, could be.
Any ideas ?
sweeps
Swill Maker

Post by sweeps »

I don't recall noting any honey flavors, but I did think there was a pronounced sweetness to it. I assumed that was due to the Florence fennel. I don't really associate coriander with honey flavors, more with a lemony spicy sort of thing, but it's one of those things that tends to taste very different to different people.

Did Pernod use calamus in their recipe?
jimsgins
Novice

Post by jimsgins »

kiwi Bruce wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:23 pm I thought that "honey note" that lingers in your mouth after the trinity tastes fade was coriander...so I did a couple of small batches to try to imitate it, doubled and then tripled the coriander...I never came close and I can't figure out what that herb, if that's what it is, could be.
Any ideas ?
I had this in an absinthe once in Prague. I forget which brand it was also. Like you I tried adding huge amounts of coriander without any joy. One possibility I read was that carraway could impart some of that flavour but I've not had a chance to test it yet. If anyone has any thoughts I'd love to hear them.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

I've been doing a lot of research on this...I'll start a new thread on the topic...but I think the answer is blossoms and flowers, just trying to find how they were used in an absinthe.
Prole
Novice

Post by Prole »

I have been fortunate to have tasted vintage, pre-ban Pernod Fils and Pernod Tarragonna -- the preban would make you weep with its complex fruitiness. The primary flavor, anise and fennel aside is the Absinthe (Wormwood) itself Not all Wormwoods share that flavor and many are sharp and astringent but some of the most accurate come from Montana.