Absinthe questions

All about absinthe

Moderator: Site Moderator

NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Absinthe questions

Post by NZChris »

Samael wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:19 pm NZC:
I don't know if you didn't read my post or if you just like being contrarian, lol.
No matter.
I was suggesting an easy way to shorten your research time by 12 months.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Samael wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:17 pm I saw a discussion from like thirteen years ago where some people said that most extant texts are biased and inaccurate, and the sites they recommended are no longer available..
My problem with the treatises is that they are way over generalized...example, we have a couple of treatise recipes from Pontarlier France and they are very similar...however consider this, each Absinthe brand had to have it's own flavors that set it apart, to attract it's own customers who liked their brand over the competition ...much like Gin today... There where over 90 different distilleries each with several different "price point" brands in Pontarlier in the late 1800's...see what I'm saying ? We are missing something, you can't get a thousand different brands and flavors from only 40 or 50 different herbs. I have my suspicions as to what was happening, but I have no way, so far, to prove it.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

To make my point. This is a video of a lot of Antique Absinthe labels...and each had it's own unique flavor !
Getting hung up all day on smiles
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Samael wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:17 pm I saw a discussion from like thirteen years ago where some people said that most extant texts are biased and inaccurate, and the sites they recommended are no longer available.
None of that matters. You find out as much as you can from every source you can find, then make something you think you might like using that info, then tweak your method each time you make it. Make your first attempts using a small still so that you're not stuck with large and expensive failures. That said, I've never had to throw out an Absinthe and I've never used the same method twice.

Mine have included both early and late harvest botanicals and I've used them fresh and dried, it all makes subtle differences. E.g., Fennel, I harvest four times in a season for various culinary purposes including Absinthe, fresh young fronds, flowers, green seeds and mature seeds.

if you can't grow or gather your own botanicals, you're stuck with having make do with whatever you can purchase.
irgendeinekiwi
Novice

Post by irgendeinekiwi »

Samael wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:49 pm
Genepi.
What other names does this go by, what does it bring to a flavor profile, and are there any affordable substitutes?

Absintheherbs.com seems to carry it (site seems to have updated, so I assume it's operational), but it is far from cheap. I found seeds for sale elsewhere under the shared title "black wormwood/mugwort." Are these really the same things? Or just the kind of poor labeling that led to me acquiring inferior fennel?
Wikipedia just lists it as "artemisia," and searches mostly bring up the spirit by the same name with little mention of the plant.

Any reliable info would be greatly appreciated.
Just adding my 2 cents worth, as I've also recently been on the search for Genipi. From what I've found out here in Europe it's generally wild harvested or not widely cultivated and seeing as it grows in areas with glacial activity/morraine it's not particularly easy to harvest. An 8g sachet from France is around 10 Euros and the best supplier I found has both types (as well and Achillea moscata and other hard-to-find botanicals) for around the 25 Euro mark per 50g bag.
Antea
Novice

Post by Antea »

I found a source in germany for Achillea Moscata. Not cheap but ok. You can also find Seeds or the hole plant in shops in germany

https://kraeutergarten-muenchen.com/pro ... chuskraut/

Do not no, if links are legal here on HD. It is not my shop :-) If not, please give me a notice and clear this link.