Absinthe - 2010 Recipe

All about absinthe

Moderator: Site Moderator

Magic-Rat
Novice

Re: Absinthe - 2010 Recipe

Post by Magic-Rat »

WalkingWolf wrote:Does running this in a potstill leave residual "flavors" in the still? Taking for granted the cursory rinse after the run. I break down my pot still and can scrub it as I need but I was just wondering.
Ah. Cleanliness.

My reflux stills are well ... "seasoned". I essentially make 3 things in them: Nuetral spirit, rum, and whiskey. No problems with residue ... but alas, these are BIG batches (15 gallons of wash at a time). I just kinda rinse them off and run a little bleach and water mix through them with a hose.

Now ... the water distiller is smaller (1 gallon), manageable to clean ... and I do clean it. I clean it VERY well after each use. No probs.

I can however still smell anise in it ... and a bit of Gin, too.

I guess if you really want to be scientific about it ... it's safe to say, there IS something still there (cause I can smell it) ... but, I have not had any issue with taste (that I can tell anyway ... but I'm not super picky).

I guess I could just run some nuetral spirit through it and see if it had a different taste after running it through ... but, hell that's too much work. LOL.
zouthernborne
Swill Maker

Post by zouthernborne »

Okay, I finally got around to trying this once I tracked down all the herbs I needed. I ordered in bulk so I could have a few goes at it. This is by far the best thing I have tasted in a while. Thanks!
I have a very assertive way. It's wake up, move your ass, or piss off home.
-Gordon Ramsay
12 Quart SS Stockpot, simple potstiller. Mostly running whiskey and rums.
usefull_drunk
Novice

Post by usefull_drunk »

Sorry if I'm digging up an old thread, but I should note that with absinthe, quality ingredients are important.

I ordered from the link provided, and got wonderful samples. All that was missing though was the anise, the seller told me it's on back order until they get a better quality anise in stock. Anyway, I got antsy and ordered from a gourmet site. I ordered extra lemon balm, hyssop, hibbicus (coloring) and so forth. Mostly things I could experiment with later.

Long story short, you get what you pay for, side by side comparison between herbs that are suppose to be the same and it's not a competition. The 'gourmet' lemon balm smells like a pile of leaves from outside, hibbicus smells like off vinegars. The cut of the herbs is disgusting on some of them too, 99% stem. http://www.absintheherbs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow The guy who runs this site is awesome, and his herbs are fantastic. I haven't distilled but I can already tell you the right quality of herbs will make a world of difference.
Chris7231
Novice

Post by Chris7231 »

Hey guys,

Why is it recommended to warm up the solution with the colouring herbs?
Contaminator
Novice

Post by Contaminator »

What a lovely thread. I would like to share my first experience with Absinthe which I believe was a lucky shot. The end result was amazing. I call it;

"Contaminator's Coopers Lager Absinthe"

I will come back later to the actual recipe but first I'd like to tempt your spirit craving palates. I was happy that I wrote down the proceedure. The absinthe is made from a cheap Australian Coopers Lager beer kit with a bit of extra sugar.

The product itself is Quadrouple pot distilled beer wort giving it a wonderful flavour profile, just a hint of bitter, and with very narrow cuts.
It is otherwise a very traditional spirit with the main 3 basic ingredients.

The end result ( using an external heatsource outdoors behind the barn for safety at the last spirit run ) I collected 154 proof Absinthe. Colouring from Lemon balm and Hyssop flower from my garden.