Absinthe - 2010 Recipe

All about absinthe

Moderator: Site Moderator

Magic-Rat
Novice

Absinthe - 2010 Recipe

Post by Magic-Rat »

I spent a year reading forums and collecting information to make absinthe ... lots of long threads on this topic.

Have tried to summarize a recipe I just used here in one concise post.

You can get all the fresh herbs you need from these suppliers. The herbs are seasonal ... so SEP and OCT are the best times to buy:

http://www.absintheherbs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Descriptions of the various herbs and their names here:

http://www.absinthebuyersguide.com/herbs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

There are 3 steps to making absinthe: 1) Distillation of Neutral Spirit; 2) Distillation of Absinthe; and 3) Colorization

Step 1: Distillation of Neutral Spirit

- Using your favorite recipe, distill 1 liter of 160 proof neutral spirit.

Step 2: Distillation of Absinthe

Grind the following using a food processor (called maceration) and add to your 1 liter of Neutral spirit. Cap it in a container and let it soak (steep) for 12 - 24 hours

- 20 grams grand wormwood (Artemisia absinthium)
- 100 grams green anise (Pimpinella anisum)
- 55 grams florence fennel (Foeniculum vulgare - Azorium Group)

After the soak, add 3 liters of water and put it in your still.

Throw out the first 15 ml that come off the still. Collect 50% of the distillate and set it aside. This will be a little less than 1/2 of a liter.

Now collect the rest (including the tails) and return it to the still adding double the amount of water. Run this through the still and collect 50% of it ... then add that to your first collection that you set aside ... that is your keeps. It will be about 2/3rds of a liter or so.

Step 3: Colorization

Grind the following using a food processor.

- 5 - 7 grams petite wormwood (Artemisia pontica)
- 5 - 7 grams hyssop (Hyssopus officinalis)
- 3 grams melissa Lemon Balm (Melissa officinalis)

Split your alcohol captured in step 2 in half. Set aside one-half and place the other half in a water bath and bring to 131 - 140 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes. Be careful not to get it too hot. I used a mason jar sitting in a pot of water on the stove top. You have to watch this carefully, don't let it get too dark (it's too dark if it looks like ink). Then remove from the bath and allow to cool for about 20 minutes. Once cooled, strain out all the herbs.

Get as much herb out as possible and then let it stand in a tall narrow glass cylinder shaped glass or jar (racking it), let it stand til the sediment falls then carefully pour off the top half or more, leave behind the sediment, transfer the sediment to a smaller, narrower cylinder and rack it again too.

Finally, add the green colored half to the clear half and age 30 days.

Notes:

- Keep it out of the light, or it'll go yellow.

- Do NOT add any water after it comes out of the still because it will make it milky (louche).
Attachments
Absinthe
Absinthe
Maceration Before Distilling
Maceration Before Distilling
Fresh Herbs
Fresh Herbs
Last edited by Magic-Rat on Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Absinthe - 2010 Recipe

Post by WalkingWolf »

Magic-Rat wrote:I
- 20 g grand wormwood (Artemisia absinthium)
- 100 gr green anise (Pimpinella anisum)
- 55 gr florence fennel (Foeniculum vulgare - Azorium Group)
Nice "How-To" there Magic-Rat. Welcome to HD -- looks like you hit the ground running. I have wanted to try Absinthe for some time now and this looks like a go.

Concerning measurements -- you use a "g" for grand wormwood and a "gr" for green anise. What are the units of measure you are referring to in this recipe. "gr" is used for grains in recipes I am familiar with (1 Gram = 15.43 Grains)
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Nice summary. I've read those threads many times and they were always a little overwhelming. This makes it seem easy. Thanks,

bd
I do all my own stunts
Magic-Rat
Novice

Post by Magic-Rat »

WalkingWolf,

Drat ... typo's.

All the measurements are "grams". I used "gr" and "g" ... should have just spelled it out.

I went back and edited the first post in this thread ... now says "grams" spelled out.

:)
Last edited by Magic-Rat on Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magic-Rat
Novice

Post by Magic-Rat »

... and here it is in some nice fancy bottles. :)
Attachments
Put On Display
Put On Display
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

So how is the louche of this recipe? Do you have any pictures?
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
Magic-Rat
Novice

Post by Magic-Rat »

rubber duck wrote:So how is the louche of this recipe? Do you have any pictures?
Well, my other hobby is video ...

So, I made one for you. :)

Click the link below and give it a minute or two to stream and you should be able to see.

http://www.magicratvideos.com/magicvide ... Green.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

- Rat

Magic-Rat
Novice

Post by Magic-Rat »

P.S. - I can no longer edit the first post in this thread ... I recommend you make a double batch to make all your trouble worth-while. Meaning ... start with 2 liters of neutral spirit ... and double the recipe. That's what I do.
Last edited by Magic-Rat on Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

OOOOOO - you ROCK brutha -- That's cool.
Magic-Rat
Novice

Post by Magic-Rat »

WalkingWolf wrote:OOOOOO - you ROCK brutha -- That's cool.
:)

Gotta help each other out!
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

What's it like drinking it?

bd
I do all my own stunts
Magic-Rat
Novice

Post by Magic-Rat »

blind drunk wrote:What's it like drinking it?

bd
I think it's pretty good. Nice anise flavor with a tinge of the herbs. It's been aging for about 4 days now and already a some of the harshness is coming out. In about a month, I think it will be perfect.
Bayou-Ruler
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bayou-Ruler »

Thanks a lot for this... I recently became interested in Absinthe and have been reading up. 8)
Bayou Ethanol
Ethanol Fuel Producer

AFP-LA-15027
http://www.BayouEthanol.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

You just became my hero, magic.
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
loneswinger
Swill Maker

Post by loneswinger »

Very nice thread, I should give this a try.

One question, this step:
Magic-Rat wrote:Collect 50% of the distillate and set it aside. This will be a little less than 1/2 of a liter.

Now collect the rest (including the tails) and return it to the still adding double the amount of water. Run this through the still and collect 50% of it ... then add that to your first collection that you set aside ... that is your keeps. It will be about 2/3rds of a liter or so.
Why is half of it being double run? Is that to mellow things out? Would just adding a smaller proportion of the herbs accomplish the same thing? Or is something else going on here.

Thanks again,

-Loneswinger
It's better to learn from other people's mistakes than your own.
Magic-Rat
Novice

Post by Magic-Rat »

loneswinger wrote:Very nice thread, I should give this a try.

One question, this step:
Magic-Rat wrote:Collect 50% of the distillate and set it aside. This will be a little less than 1/2 of a liter.

Why is half of it being double run? Is that to mellow things out? Would just adding a smaller proportion of the herbs accomplish the same thing? Or is something else going on here.

Thanks again,

-Loneswinger

The idea here is to collect only the strong stuff in the first pass (130 proof or above) for your "keeps". Then collect from 129 proof down to about 80 proof in a separate container.

After that, empty the still ... and then take the 129 - 80 proof stuff, add about 150% water, and distill that a second time. The second time through, you should get another run that will allow you to collect more "pure" stuff (but this time collect down a little further ... to 120 proof). It will be a lot less "output" of this higher proof stuff than the first time, but it's worth doing it to get a little more quantity.

For some reason, when you add water like this and run it a second time ... when it comes out, it comes out at a "higher" proof the second time through. I dunno why ... but it does.

Combine the two "high proof" run outputs ... and that's your "keeps".
Last edited by Magic-Rat on Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loneswinger
Swill Maker

Post by loneswinger »

Ok thanks,

I will have to read what you just wrote a few times before it sinks in. My brain is a little numb today.

Cheers,

-Loneswinger
Magic-Rat
Novice

Post by Magic-Rat »

Yup. It is confusing. Sorry.

When I use a pot still, once I get through the heart of the run and the alcohol content drops down below 130, if you start collecting in another container down to 80, you will get the tails and "dunder". The average of what's in that second container will prolly be around 100 proof ... and taste kinda strong because the "flavors" of the wash come through more in the water content than the alcohol content.

Now, if you take that second container ... add a bunch of fresh water to it ... and run it through your pot still again, when it first starts coming out, it should be around 140 proof (strong, again). You won't get a whole lot of the strong stuff (say down to 120) ... but you'll get enough to make the second run worth your trouble.
loneswinger
Swill Maker

Post by loneswinger »

Alright sure, I got it now. Man I am off today.

Thanks,

-Loneswinger
Dman
Novice

Post by Dman »

Hey Magic-Rat,

I'm new to this forum, wanted to say hello to all the Absinthe enthusiasts out there. Its great to find a place to share these thoughts and ideas.

I've been experimenting with Absinthe for a few years now, but I still feel like something is missing with my final spirit. Its has the Anise overtones but not as thick and pronounced as the commercial Absinthe I've tried. The video you posted shows a great color and great louche. Can't wait to try your two stage distillation. Wonder if the answer is there.

Hope you don't mind me picking your brain here, but what made you chose only the 3 main herbs instead of the more traditional 5 lineup? (Anise, Star Anise, Hyssop, Wormwood, Fennel)?
Did you find any difference in quality using run-of-the-mill Anise and Fennel seed? They are much cheaper to come by. I use http://www.mountainroseherbs.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow. Do you find the herb's freshness plays a large factor, or are they pretty much stable once tried and sealed air-tight?

Lastly, how hot do you run your still? I tend to struggle with scorching the herbal content in drum.

I'll post the recipe I use here for you guys to try out. Including the coloring stage of a "Red" and "Black" Absinthe, based on Tarragon and Hibiscus flower.

-Dman
Dman
Novice

Post by Dman »

Here's a recipe for Red and Black Absinthe.

Start with your favorite base of scented spirit. I use Dupas "Fine Absinthe", remove the Coriander and add Angelica and Valerian Root. 18grams per 1 liter. Pushes the Thujone experience a little more, giving the drink a much more relaxing effect.

Coloring, Black Absinthe: (For 1 liter)

16 grams Hibiscus flower
10 grams Orange zest
10 grams Tarragon
(can also add 10 grams of Lemon Balm)

This creates a very dark purple/black Absinthe. Maintaining the strong Anise overtones but adding a very earthy and savory flavor. Its quite good.

Coloring, Red Absinthe: (For 1 liter)

This one took quite a bit of experimentation to get right, I was a description of color, aroma and flavor profile as a guide.

30 grams Hibiscus flower
9 grams Orange zest
5 grams Tarragon

This will result in a blood red Absinthe. The Anise flavor for be pushed to a secondary flavor, coming in at about the middle. The dominant flavor becomes a sweet and slightly tangy, flowery flavor with a bit of a savory balance to it.
Its a very unique flavor and also makes the drink more enjoyable by people that are not bit Anise fans.

Enjoy!

-Dman
Magic-Rat
Novice

Post by Magic-Rat »

Dman wrote:Hey Magic-Rat,

I'm new to this forum, wanted to say hello to all the Absinthe enthusiasts out there. Its great to find a place to share these thoughts and ideas.

I've been experimenting with Absinthe for a few years now, but I still feel like something is missing with my final spirit. Its has the Anise overtones but not as thick and pronounced as the commercial Absinthe I've tried. The video you posted shows a great color and great louche. Can't wait to try your two stage distillation. Wonder if the answer is there.

Hope you don't mind me picking your brain here, but what made you chose only the 3 main herbs instead of the more traditional 5 lineup? (Anise, Star Anise, Hyssop, Wormwood, Fennel)?
Did you find any difference in quality using run-of-the-mill Anise and Fennel seed? They are much cheaper to come by. I use http://www.mountainroseherbs.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow. Do you find the herb's freshness plays a large factor, or are they pretty much stable once tried and sealed air-tight?

Lastly, how hot do you run your still? I tend to struggle with scorching the herbal content in drum.

I'll post the recipe I use here for you guys to try out. Including the coloring stage of a "Red" and "Black" Absinthe, based on Tarragon and Hibiscus flower.

-Dman
Well, reading around, seemed like consensus was that the fresh stuff was better. So, I use that. Also, could not find Pontica ... anyplace except fresh. So, it's easier to just get one order from one place.

I have a bunch of packaged herbs from places like "smallflower". Have not used them, tho.

... and I wanted to keep the recipe simple.

I use a cheap little $100 water distiller that will not scorch herbs:

http://www.a1-water-distiller.com/a-3-h ... tiller.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Dman
Novice

Post by Dman »

Do you know the watt output of your mini still?
Getting the oils to evaporate without scorching the ground herbs has been a major chalange. I'm able to controll the heat on my still very accurately. If I can replicate your heat source... ;)

Running a 1.2 gallon batch tonight. Will post proccess and results.
rep67439fgs
Novice

Post by rep67439fgs »

Magic-Rat wrote:I spent a year reading forums and collecting information to make absinthe ... lots of long threads on this topic.
I'd say a year well spent sir! :) It looks like you've got yourself a very successful recipe there.

Would I be right in assuming you used a pot still, particularly for the absinthe distillation step? I currently only own a reflux column still (T500) and was wondering whether a similar end result would be possible with that setup.
Magic-Rat
Novice

Post by Magic-Rat »

I used a water distiller ... which is really a pot still.

If you do it with a reflux still (I have 2 of those), it prolly won't come out right. It might ... just depends on how good a reflux still you have. A really efficient reflux still will try and turn it into nuetral spirit.

One of my reflux stills is really efficient. The other, not so much. In my "poor quality" (LOL) still, it probably would work just fine.
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

Does running this in a potstill leave residual "flavors" in the still? Taking for granted the cursory rinse after the run. I break down my pot still and can scrub it as I need but I was just wondering.
zouthernborne
Swill Maker

Post by zouthernborne »

I have used an old school recipe using star anise and grande wormwood. I used 75 proof rum and steeped for 10 days. The amount of thujone was nearly overwhelming, but much better than anything found in liquor stores. That stuff is crap. The thujone content is nearly non-existent. So I want to know how this compares, thojone-wise, to the old ways of making absinthe. Because I have not had anything that compares to the effect or taste of the "close-to-original" recipe that I have. I do know that Angelica and Valerian contain on traces of thujone.
I have a very assertive way. It's wake up, move your ass, or piss off home.
-Gordon Ramsay
12 Quart SS Stockpot, simple potstiller. Mostly running whiskey and rums.
frozenthunderbolt
Distiller

Post by frozenthunderbolt »

zouthernborne wrote:I have used an old school recipe using star anise and grande wormwood. I used 75 proof rum and steeped for 10 days. The amount of thujone was nearly overwhelming, but much better than anything found in liquor stores. That stuff is crap. The thujone content is nearly non-existent. So I want to know how this compares, thojone-wise, to the old ways of making absinthe. Because I have not had anything that compares to the effect or taste of the "close-to-original" recipe that I have. I do know that Angelica and Valerian contain on traces of thujone.
Look for flavour, not thojone. It is highly toxic. The green fairy myth is just that - it's perceived effect was (and is) due to its unusually high ethanol content.
Where has all the rum gone? . . .

Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
zouthernborne
Swill Maker

Post by zouthernborne »

Really. Then I am glad that I didn't poison my damned self with that stuff. Of course, I did space the bottle out over a year and a half. But that's why I'm here, to learn and experiment. Thanks for the info, and I shall try the 2010 recipe!
I have a very assertive way. It's wake up, move your ass, or piss off home.
-Gordon Ramsay
12 Quart SS Stockpot, simple potstiller. Mostly running whiskey and rums.
Magic-Rat
Novice

Post by Magic-Rat »

frozenthunderbolt wrote:
zouthernborne wrote:I have used an old school recipe using star anise and grande wormwood. I used 75 proof rum and steeped for 10 days. The amount of thujone was nearly overwhelming, but much better than anything found in liquor stores. That stuff is crap. The thujone content is nearly non-existent. So I want to know how this compares, thojone-wise, to the old ways of making absinthe. Because I have not had anything that compares to the effect or taste of the "close-to-original" recipe that I have. I do know that Angelica and Valerian contain on traces of thujone.
Look for flavour, not thojone. It is highly toxic. The green fairy myth is just that - it's perceived effect was (and is) due to its unusually high ethanol content.
I agree with this post.

The flavor was great, I thought. Tasted better than what I had when I was stationed in Europe.