Arcane absinthe distilleries

All about absinthe

Moderator: Site Moderator

Anabasis
Novice

Arcane absinthe distilleries

Post by Anabasis »

Hi folks.

So it seems to me that in many cases specific hardware is used to produce certain types of spirits, but of course it's usually not required as it's possible to use just about any kind of still to make just about any type of liquor. Some are better suited to certain spirits of course, like say a forced reflux and Vodka. It's relatively easy to find what stills are commonly used, like fractional, pot, reflux, forced reflux, etc...

However one that sticks out like a sore thumb, and there's very little information about, are stills designed for making absinthe. After looking at the equipment used at two of the most highly regarded absinthe distilleries, Artemisia-Bugnon and Emile Pernot, they both use a very unique setup.

Emile Pernod Distillery:

I'm wondering if anyone has any insight?

Why two stills, one small one large?
The strange silver and copper spheres?
The two odd copper "thumpers" below the large still tank of some sort? Or perhaps its just there to support the mysterious spheres?

kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Re: Arcane absinthe distilleries

Post by kiwi Bruce »

There are century old photos of the alembic stills that where used in the French Absinthe making districts, that don't show this kind of set-up, with the balls and all (The new absinthe distillers seem to like to let there balls hang out!) the old stills seem to go straight into regular copper condensers...the balls may be a way to reduce the thujone in the product...this is very restricted in the EU...the two sized alembics would be because they are distilling the Wormwood separately from the rest of the "trinity", or the "trinity" separately from the secondary herbs...this would give them a quality control advantage.
Are you into Absinthe?
Getting hung up all day on smiles
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Anabasis...what happened?...You live on the Big Island and fell into the Kilauea caldera?
Anabasis
Novice

Post by Anabasis »

Haha, I apologise I haven't checked this in forever. Interesting, I had the thought that the balls collect something from the vapors but I suppose thujone makes the most sense. Also it makes sense having 2 stills now that you mention that, I've frequently seen that setup. I'm definitely into Absinthe, I've been making it for a couple months now and it's going quite well!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

They have nothing to do with thujone. They are rectifying balls, serving a purpose similar to that of a single plate.
https://www.absinthes.com/en/absinthe-e ... tillation/
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Hot stuff Chris ! That's a very cool link and Thank You !
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Anabasis wrote: I'm definitely into Absinthe,
Be careful what questions you ask about absinthe on HD...I made that mistake when I first came on board and had the Absinthe Nazi's jump down my throat...if it hadn't been for Jimbo I would have left and never come back, but he smoothed everything back out...and Bob's your Uncle.
Anabasis
Novice

Post by Anabasis »

Interesting, I'll be careful. Also, excellent information in the link, thanks NZChris.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

kiwi Bruce wrote:Be careful what questions you ask about absinthe on HD...I made that mistake when I first came on board and had the Absinthe Nazi's jump down my throat...if it hadn't been for Jimbo I would have left and never come back, but he smoothed everything back out...and Bob's your Uncle.
Ask whatever you want, just don't expect that every answer is from someone who is as much of an expert as they think they are, or that the best person to answer your question posts here and will reply.