Halloween, Hot Sauce & Absinthe

All about absinthe

Moderator: Site Moderator

Halloween Hot Sauce
Novice

Halloween, Hot Sauce & Absinthe

Post by Halloween Hot Sauce »

Greetings!

My name is Victor Ives. I’m interested in Halloween, horror movies, making hot sauce, making infused liqueurs and I hope to learn here how to distill absinthe!

I’m in the market for a small still to distill my absinthe. Recommendations welcome!

I’m honored to be a new member of this excellent forum!

Thank you!
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Halloween, Hot Sauce & Absinthe

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome aboard Victor ...there are enough absinthe threads here to keep you reading and experimenting for a long time.
Haven't personally been down that path, but at a guess I think to do a good job of it you might need two stills, a reflux and a pot.
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

Welcome!
A simple pot is enough to make absinthe, but a reflux still will be useful to make your own base spirit.
There's good reads on absinthe here.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Welcome to the forum.

I also recommend two stills for Absinthe. I've always used a big pot still and a little pot still. I've never used a reflux still for it :D

Search the forum for some really good ideas on it.
Halloween Hot Sauce
Novice

Saltbush Bill wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:01 am Welcome aboard Victor ...there are enough absinthe threads here to keep you reading and experimenting for a long time.
Haven't personally been down that path, but at a guess I think to do a good job of it you might need two stills, a reflux and a pot.
Thank you so much!
Halloween Hot Sauce
Novice

Corsaire wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:05 am Welcome!
A simple pot is enough to make absinthe, but a reflux still will be useful to make your own base spirit.
There's good reads on absinthe here.
Thank you!
Halloween Hot Sauce
Novice

NZChris wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:11 am Welcome to the forum.

I also recommend two stills for Absinthe. I've always used a big pot still and a little pot still. I've never used a reflux still for it :D

Excellent! Thank you!
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Post by The Booze Pipe »

I would recommend making a light flavor whiskey for a base spirit. Distilled three times in a pot still will allow you to get started much sooner with a more simple setup. By the time you add all those botanicals, no one will know they are drinking “whiskey”. I read somewhere, I think a book, absinthe was traditionally made with whatever spirit you had available. For example, if I had access to copious amounts of free, or next to it, orchard fruit to ferment and distill, that’s what I would use! :thumbup:
13.5g/50L keg boiler
copper pot still
modular 3" CCVM copper&stainless w/offset gin head
Halloween Hot Sauce
Novice

The Booze Pipe wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:26 am I would recommend making a light flavor whiskey for a base spirit. Distilled three times in a pot still will allow you to get started much sooner with a more simple setup. By the time you add all those botanicals, no one will know they are drinking “whiskey”. I read somewhere, I think a book, absinthe was traditionally made with whatever spirit you had available. For example, if I had access to copious amounts of free, or next to it, orchard fruit to ferment and distill, that’s what I would use! :thumbup:
Interesting! It’s certainly worth trying! Thank you!
Halloween Hot Sauce
Novice

NZChris wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:11 am Welcome to the forum.

I’ll do that! Thank you!