Pope's 10-plate Continuous Column

We don’t condone the use of Continuous Stripping stills as a method of running 24/7 as this is a commercial setup only .
Home distillers should never leave any still run unattended and Continuous strippers should not be operated for longer periods than a Batch stripping session would typically be run to minimise operator fatigue..

Moderator: Site Moderator

LWTCS
Site Mod

Re: Pope's 10-plate Continuous Column

Post by LWTCS »

stevea wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:33 pm
LWTCS wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:56 pm 20200310_145943.jpg

This plate is known to successfully process 350 gallons of beer per hour.
Uhhm - rules of thumb are ~ 1 - 1.3 l/hr feed per cm^2 (stripper). I can't see the scale, but I have a strong suspicion that you aren't vaguely close to 350gal/hr or 40cm ~= 16inch diameter! Yes you *could* run a 1500 l/hr, or more thru a 10cm diameter stripper ... IF you are willing to toss most of your EtOH. So I find this VERY hard to understand..
Dunno what to tell you.
Give Brent or Miles at Boundry Oak Distillery a ring and ask them about their grain in processing speed and get back to me.
230F at the beer effluent discharge. There is no alcohol at that temp.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

And for the record, Pope's plate design can process 37 gph.
stevea
Novice

Post by stevea »

LWTCS wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:41 pm ....

Dunno what to tell you.
Give Brent or Miles at Boundry Oak Distillery a ring and ask them about their grain in processing speed and get back to me.
230F at the beer effluent discharge. There is no alcohol at that temp.
I might do that. .... however. There is no liquid water at 230F below 2 bars pressure either - sorta meaningless w/o the pressure.
I mean you can have liquid 95%ABV at about 3 bars and 230F - right ?

37gph and 5" diameter is about right. At 4" (iirc Popes design) he's ~50% above commercial stripper design feed rates.
He might try checking his stillage losses carefully.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Steve, you are not factoring in grain in solids are you?
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Pope is not running that fast on the 4"
John Tucker at Black Ven distillery is.
And he has checked.

Where are you getting your practical information from Steve? Because there is definitely a discrepancy here with your assertions.

Have you talked to Stumpy yet?
stevea
Novice

Post by stevea »

LWTCS wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:29 am Steve, you are not factoring in grain in solids are you?
This is getting pretty far off-topic, but solids don't change the boiling point (they impact nucleation). Pure water boils at 100C = 212F at 1atm. If you add polar solute then you can increase the BP a little. Seawater boils at ~102.5C, ~216F, and that has a LOT more polar solute than normal stillage. Maple reportedly syrup boils at 219F and is a nearly saturated sugar solution. 220F for stillage is either a measurement error, or reported under pressure (~3psig would do it and you might acheive that at the bottom of some stills), or some very strange stillage.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

We are talking about an effluent stream that contains solids at the base of a beer column that is outfitted with live steam injection,,,at the base of the beer column. Think porridge.
Because of the amount of solids and the violent activity, not all of the steam gets condensed as the effluent exits the beer column.