Yummy's continuous stripper

We don’t condone the use of Continuous Stripping stills as a method of running 24/7 as this is a commercial setup only .
Home distillers should never leave any still run unattended and Continuous strippers should not be operated for longer periods than a Batch stripping session would typically be run to minimise operator fatigue..

Moderator: Site Moderator

pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Yummy's continuous stripper

Post by pope »

Larry I've been hitting my own process & recipe development hard over the last six months, and I just find that flour works well for me (I can dump it into boiling water and use Sebstar/sebamyl to get full conversion on a linear hot>cold temp path), but I'm happy to try and ferment more granular solids to test your theories. Just gotta make the whole setup first!

Yummy building sequentially so that each part immediately improves my process is essential to keep me from stalling out. I'm going to build a steamer, then some hx's and experiment with pre-heating wash, then get into the whole plated column build. I have four flute plates but they're not 10" tall chambers, and my perf plates definitely aren't 6mm holes.

Waste beer vapor path should be pretty much the same as the lowest plate, If you're hitting 99C hopefully all you might be losing is your late late tails that you'd cut out anyway. And yea I'm cracking up at the idea of stripping my ferments with 11kw! I do mostly 10-15 gallon ferments unless it's a personal favorite, so I think by the time I got it balanced it'd be done.. should take like 15-20 min? But other than processing flour slurry, being able to drop your plate perf diameter to lower your flow rate is a nice option to have in the tool kit, plates aren't too costly to make.

Keen to hear about the flavors you get in your final product!
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

One of the things that I find so interesting is that the big 12" system at Stumpy's place takes 10 minutes to come on line. A system that does 4 barrels of finished product in an 8 hour day!
And takes 5 minutes to shut down.

If you did enough napkin math I bet you could commensurately size a unit to do those hobby sized volumes without over sizing.

Manu has a rig that runs off of a 5500 element and so does Abott as I recall. They just can't run solids because they are using random packing material.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

If you were doing 6mm holes to process solids you could slow down and lower your power requirements (and costs) by going to a 3” right? It would probably still have to be the same length. Just seems like if you’d go to the trouble to build it, a 4” wouldn’t be that much more cost than a 3” when you roll your time in.
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Yeah probably not that much different labor wise. But I gotta believe the smaller diameter would help with liquid hold up (dwell time)needed to optimally flash your alcohol.
skeet_skeety
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skeet_skeety »

Yummy, thanks for the link to this thread. We’ll be in touch. As I see it, I’m going for the two column Coffey build from here on out. You’ve seriously put your time and effort into this!
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
~George S. Patton
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

skeet_skeety wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:21 am Yummy, thanks for the link to this thread. We’ll be in touch. As I see it, I’m going for the two column Coffey build from here on out. You’ve seriously put your time and effort into this!
Elaborate, please!
skeet_skeety
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skeet_skeety »

pope wrote:
skeet_skeety wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:21 am Yummy, thanks for the link to this thread. We’ll be in touch. As I see it, I’m going for the two column Coffey build from here on out. You’ve seriously put your time and effort into this!
Elaborate, please!
I’m going to be taking my 6.6 gal thumper and putting a column on it to act as the rectifier. With the stripping column on my pot feeding into it.

I’ll be warming my mash up using the shotgun dephlegmator on the stripper column and building an over flow cap dispensing wash just below it and above my packed stripping column.

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202002 ... d5a8e2.jpg[/IMG]

Similar to this but using the stripping column (analyzer) over my pot with water inside.

I’ll have to also fabricate an internal drain system for spent mash just below the column and above the liquid level in the pot.

Yummy pushed me to this and another thread that’s helped me understand how to get started.
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
~George S. Patton
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Had another go at a Rum wash . This time I added distillers Conditioner ( Silicone antifoaming agent ) to the feed bucket and periodically stirrer it with a paint stirrer
It worked a treat :thumbup:
8D8905F6-18B7-4137-92F4-21D7D4DDB4E7.jpeg
No foaming or puking.I wasn’t even sure if it would work so this is why I tried the KISS approach rather than build a micro-dosing unit to inject it into the feed line . That could happen one day , but not for now .

Heres the feed plate without antifoam
03A04F93-273F-4A35-B73C-4AC1CED84D61.jpeg
With antifoam
35CECC18-C61B-410A-8B59-284332C9187A.jpeg
Next things to do on this still will be a steam Generator to replace the Re-boiler .
I also have acquired enough 4” to make 10 plates at per Larrys advise but seeing as I rarely do grains other than Rice I will stick with the packing for now .
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Any idea what the ratio is for the defoaming agent per liter?
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

LWTCS wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:52 am Any idea what the ratio is for the defoaming agent per liter?
The instructions said 3 cap fulls to a T500 boiler full .
I used 6 caps to 25 liters ... basically double as I wanted to make sure :lol:
I will experiment next run and see if I can use less .

So I used about 7mls. / 25l or 0.28mls/L

My beer feed rate is about 500mls/min so I would need to inject 2.3ul every second .... LOL .
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

Is there a brand on that defoamer? I’m sure I’ll need some soon.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

pope wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:52 pm Is there a brand on that defoamer? I’m sure I’ll need some soon.
80339F35-C2C9-4AAF-89F2-6F1476CF2C5F.jpeg
4783F11C-36A3-49C5-8627-82C027BDE2AA.jpeg
160D406E-ABB3-42B4-86C8-8FB042815771.jpeg
Probably not the most economic way to buy it . But OK for occasional use . I’ve seen other brands available inbulk
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

pope wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:52 pm Is there a brand on that defoamer? I’m sure I’ll need some soon.
I think they are just a repackager (Still Spirits) and don't make it themselves. If I had to guess, it would be Fermcap, but just sold at a smaller and more affordable price.
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

I bought some soy lecithin and used a stick blender to emulsify canola oil, haven't been able to test it yet but I'll report back. Any updates on your continuous, yummy?
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I’m on hold until I can get a better pump . Finance minister released the budget and It will be a while :(
Evil Wizard
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil Wizard »

Hey Yummy, Thanks for documenting your build. I've shared many of your headaches in my own Cont stripper build - rebuild - rebuild.

Regarding the needle valve for your wash input rate: I really like to use a balancing valve since it has numbers on the dial and moves in very small gradations. I initially used a 3/4" but found a 1/2" valve was fine for my 6" column on 11kW.

Google "victaulic balancing valve"
Work is the curse of the drinking class. "Would you like some water?" "No thanks, I'm Irish."

Louchebag Absintheur, Apostolic Alcoholic, Whisky Icarus, Bathtub Alchemist.

Started 2005, went Pro 2017. Federal Excise 51-SL-262.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Thanks evil wizard .
Had a cursory look. May get back to you on those . :thumbup: For the moment , the Pot still is again reigning supreme in stripping land . Can’t wait to get a few more bits and get back yo this project
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Having some pump (impeller) issues here on the 4" diameter.

At the moment it's processing 25 gallons of beer per hour. The goal is 33 gallons per hour.

Hopefully the new impeller will pump better at the lower speeds so that the head temp can remain more stable.

At the moment the pump is overshooting early in the run.
As we get further into the run the behavior stabilizes as the pump performs better when it can run "up hill" so to speak.
YeahMate
Novice

Post by YeahMate »

Mate, I am blown away. This is some proper mad scientist shit. Love ya work.
bionut
Novice

Post by bionut »

Wow, great thread! Even though i might never try i like to read and learn new thing about this.

LWTCS, i understand your column is different thant Yummy's, yes you can strip grain washes, but how do you remove the spent grains from the column so they don't enter the boiler? Am i missing something?
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

YeahMate wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:39 am Mate, I am blown away. This is some proper mad scientist shit. Love ya work.
Ha , thanks YeahMate . It does look that way . My initial aim was to try and demystify some of the Continuous stripper talk and try to make it achievable using bits and pieces of gear many of us might have lying around as apposed to it being a totally new build .
bionut wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:41 pm LWTCS, i understand your column is different thant Yummy's, yes you can strip grain washes, but how do you remove the spent grains from the column so they don't enter the boiler? Am i missing something?
Hopefully Larry can give you mire detail bionut .
But basically there are two types of Strippers . My version is the simpler version ( obviously because I was trying to use existing hardware with minimal modification )
The boiler at the bottom Produces the steam that rises up the column and provides the energy to flash the down-coming wash to alcohol . The depleted waste in the boiler overflows out via a heat exchanger that sucks some energy from the waste .

The other method is to use a seperate steam generator to feed the bottom of the column , again , this provides the energy to flash the down-coming wash , but instead of there being a boiler full at the bottom , there is simply a “P” trap like you might find on the bottom plate of a Flute that diverts the waste ... again via a heat exchanger .

So there is not a huge difference with regards to removing
the waste . I think you are more interested in how a thick grain handles the still .

That I have no experience with ... :oops:
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

bionut wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:41 pm Wow, great thread! Even though i might never try i like to read and learn new thing about this.

LWTCS, i understand your column is different thant Yummy's, yes you can strip grain washes, but how do you remove the spent grains from the column so they don't enter the boiler? Am i missing something?
Hi bionut,
Yummy has it right.
Generating steam with your spent beer is very efficient and also helps ensure that any alcohol that makes it's way down the beer column has one final opportunity to flash rather than be discharged down the drain. Maintaining a 212 temp at the boiler ensures all the alcohol has flashed. This is handy for shorter beer columns.

However with grain in solids the kettle/boiler presents problems with solids accumulating (and burning).
By using live steam injection and making sure that your plate system has enough open area to prevent fouling, your solids can drain out of the beer column with the spent beer.
Remember all we are trying to do is create enough liquid hold up to give the alcohol every opportunity to flash.
Precision distillation is not what we are after with stripping.

All of your heat exchangers should also have enough open area and designed to ensure free flow and prevent an accumulation of solids as well as ensuring optimal cleaning/maintenance.
Strategically placed sight glasses should be used to visually monitor flow. A sight glass at the feed and a sight glass right at the beer column discharge are recommended.
Sight glasses on the beer column are also helpful.

Gravity draining the beer column is helpful and with a trap at the column base there is enough pressure in the column to also push out waste. Installing a valve at the discharge can help maintain an throttle enough back pressure to insure that the bulk of your steam pressure is not going down the drain rather than up the column to do its primary job of flashing your alcohol.

Agitation should be used on your beer well to insure that solids are uniformly suspended prior to injection.

And finally, a finer grind helps reduce the fear factor.
bionut
Novice

Post by bionut »

So we're talking about a simple U trap for discharge?
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

bionut wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:13 am So we're talking about a simple U trap for discharge?
Yup , that pretty much it . The weight of fluid in the trap has to be sufficient to Overcome the upward pressure in the still otherwise the steam from either the boiler in my case , or the steam generator on other cases will simply blow the waste out the trap .
Path of least resistance .
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Basically yes.
The one on my/our design has an HX incorporated into the trap in order to recover heat for preheating the beer prior to injection.

So a 90 degree downturn into the shell of a shotgun condenser oriented several inches below the column bottoms outlet. Through the 1 meter shell (on the 4" column diameter) then back up and out.
The shell inlet is a 1.5 and the outlet is a 1.5.

Waste runs through the shell because sanitizing the shell is a pita. Beer runs through the through tubes because it is easier to clean the through tubes.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Yummyrum wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:19 am
bionut wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:13 am So we're talking about a simple U trap for discharge?
Yup , that pretty much it . The weight of fluid in the trap has to be sufficient to Overcome the upward pressure in the still otherwise the steam from either the boiler in my case , or the steam generator on other cases will simply blow the waste out the trap .
Path of least resistance .

Yep. Yummy has it.

As mentioned, a valve (commensurately sized) on the discharge does give a bit of throttle control and can even be completely closed during start up to expedite heat up. This insures all of your heat travels up and also serves to self fill your trap.
Then when you observe that your trap is full (by way of strategically placed sigh glasses), you can crack the valve.

The impact of this valve adjustment can be observed by noting the behavior of the still. When optimally adjusted, the still just settles right into steady state very nicely.
drmiller100
Rumrunner

Post by drmiller100 »

Awesome write up!!!

I'm more interested in fuel for my car, so I'm bit different.

I built design which goes from about 10 percent to 95 percent in one pass, and processes 20 to 25 gallons per hour of wash. It drives the spent wash below 1 percent.

Foam is horrible. My conclusion was foam was a result of proteins in the beer. Hot tub anti foam fixed it, but I don't know if that makes it undrinkable. Wheat sucked. Lots of protein and gluten is certainly not helpful.

A CONSTANT flow, consistent pump is imperative amd I haven't found a good answer yet. You are on the right path that reclaimed free heat is awesome, and it absolutely messes up your feed rate due to back pressure.

Needle valves don't work. They plug. Did I mention the need for the right pump?

I.used marbles. My system will not tolerate grains, but totally processes solids in suspension. Basically, I filter with window screen.

7 minute startup. 2 to 2.5 gallons of 95 percent per hour. 4800 watts.
Mine strips the low stuff but doesn't separate the heads.
Now I know how you claim azeo so easy, it's based on a meat thermometer. :lol:
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I would love you to do a seperate topic on your still drmiller100 :thumbup:

You seem to have some experience so be really cool if you could also include lots of diagrams and pictures of your setup .

95% is a great outcome . :thumbup: interested in how you do this . One middle feed column , two maybe .. I understand you are after fuel .

There have been a few others wanting continuous fuel strippers so again , I ask you to start a new topic as I feel it would be of quite some interest .
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Yummyrum wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:02 am I would love you to do a seperate topic on your still drmiller100 :thumbup:

You seem to have some experience so be really cool if you could also include lots of diagrams and pictures of your setup .

95% is a great outcome . :thumbup: interested in how you do this . One middle feed column , two maybe .. I understand you are after fuel .

There have been a few others wanting continuous fuel strippers so again , I ask you to start a new topic as I feel it would be of quite some interest .
Yes please.
Start your own thread and let's have a look.
gundog48
Novice

Post by gundog48 »

LWTCS wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:58 pm
Yummyrum wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:15 pm
Woow , what size column and power do you need for that :crazy:
I know a fella on another sight that's trying to get that from a 4" column , is it possible ? or are talking 6-8"
We're trying to do this with a 4". I think it's totally doable. Also bear in mind that the plates are perfed on the stripper to allow for grain in beer feed. The big perfs absolutely allow for faster speeds with the commensurate amount of heat.
The tee sections are 10" tall to minimize pressure in between the liquid beds. On a 6" tall tee that added pressure from the power increase would just result in poorly behaved hydraulics that would promote flooding.

You guys helped me work out (spitball) the heat needed based on desired feed rate. We round tabled a 408 watts per gallon/h to 500 watts per gallon/h. So 15,300 watts to 18,750 watts needed to do a 300 gallon tote in an 8 hour shift.
[/quote]

I'm trying to achieve something similar, I've searched up and down and haven't been able to find the calculations, can you point me in the right direction. I'm hoping to strip roughly 120L/H of 9% rum wash through a packed column and collect the distillate at 30-40% abv. From my calculations I think I'll need to go 6-8" to avoid flooding, but I'm struggling to figure out how much power I'll need to throw at it to keep it working!