Continuous Stipper Build

We don’t condone the use of Continuous Stripping stills as a method of running 24/7 as this is a commercial setup only .
Home distillers should never leave any still run unattended and Continuous strippers should not be operated for longer periods than a Batch stripping session would typically be run to minimise operator fatigue..

Moderator: Site Moderator

LWTCS
Site Mod

Re: Continuous Stipper Build

Post by LWTCS »

Makes sense that is happening Shady.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Getsmokin wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 4:45 pm
The Baker wrote:Tube in a tube in a tube: a Davies condenser?

Geoff
Possibly. I believe I have vapor and cooling in different places. Vapor inside center tube and outside tube #2.
I converted a Liebig condenser to a Davies condenser. Changing to electric and changing location so I haven't tried it yet.
I ran a copper tube down the middle of the stainless Liebig so I have water inside, then vapour, then water.

Geoff
The Baker
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Getsmokin wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:22 am In my mind there is more going on than a waterfall as well. Like Shady said heated plates and lots of terbulance is what I imagine, not so much waterfalls. But I haven't fired it up yet to see myself.
You could be right , I guess we tend to get hung up on traditional plate theory .

This all got me thinking about an old topic I read here about ten years . ( nearly took me that long to find it again ) . Some interesting stuff In it .Have a quick scroll through and look at the pics first .
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12638#p6810066
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Ah right I forgot all about that thread.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Could get lost in that old thread for a few days....some good reading there.....and developments from by gone days.
Getsmokin
Swill Maker

Post by Getsmokin »

Pump.jpg
cam across a ss 1" aodd pump, supposedly new.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Nice find :thumbup:
But does this mean you have to have a compressor running all the while the still is operating ?

I’m a bit unsure about air operated pumps . From my limited experience , constant feed rate is critical to continuous still operation .

I would have thought that the turning on and off of a compressor will have an impact on pump speed . I dunno .
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

Yummyrum wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:18 pm Nice find :thumbup:
But does this mean you have to have a compressor running all the while the still is operating ?

I’m a bit unsure about air operated pumps . From my limited experience , constant feed rate is critical to continuous still operation .

I would have thought that the turning on and off of a compressor will have an impact on pump speed . I dunno .
My little aodd is a bit fickle but I can get the flow and power balanced, but my pump is so small it takes issue with granules larger than flour, it seems. My little hotdog compressor cycles on and off and the pump seems to keep chugging fairly consistently.

I think a flow-based control (i.e. having an over-powered pump but redirecting some flow back to the fermenter) would be better but I have yet to see the pump that will chug along with fine-ground malt at a reasonable hobby-sized rate.
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

Getsmokin wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:31 pm cam across a ss 1" aodd pump, supposedly new.
Been able to run the pump yet? I've been eyeing 1" ARO aodd's on ebay but I'm worried about the minimum flow on these - displacement on the pump I'm looking at is .22 gallons per cycle, if I'm trying to run one gallon every 3-5 minutes that math doesn't add up well and I'm worried if I redirect flow my air compressor won't keep up. Plus at 1/8" rating for solids I'm still a little worried about it handling fine-milled malt which IMO is a requirement. Maybe I need to screen the crushed malt with a 3/32 sieve? Just thinking out loud.
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
Getsmokin
Swill Maker

Post by Getsmokin »

pope wrote:
Getsmokin wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:31 pm cam across a ss 1" aodd pump, supposedly new.
Been able to run the pump yet? I've been eyeing 1" ARO aodd's on ebay but I'm worried about the minimum flow on these - displacement on the pump I'm looking at is .22 gallons per cycle, if I'm trying to run one gallon every 3-5 minutes that math doesn't add up well and I'm worried if I redirect flow my air compressor won't keep up. Plus at 1/8" rating for solids I'm still a little worried about it handling fine-milled malt which IMO is a requirement. Maybe I need to screen the crushed malt with a 3/32 sieve? Just thinking out loud.
Mine is a split manifold and only .14 capacity per stroke. I'm still gathering up enough fittings to do some testing.
Evil Wizard
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil Wizard »

This is nice work Getsmokin. I was looking up dish and donut baffle trays for my continuous stripper, so I could swap in a different apparatus to handle solids - found this thread.

It occurs to me that you might get some tray (baffle) loading and avoid some of the leveling issues if you dished the baffles:
If the dishes are concave (looking from the top) like a cup, they will hold liquid longer. If the donuts are convex like a cone, they will hold liquid longer.

If you're doing this as a tree, I'm not sure how you'd manage to keep the cone donuts from spilling down the inner walls. I always thought that If I did a tree I might try and use a triclamp gasket of a certain size to seal the wall gap. either a flanged gasket or have it wedged under the plate with another copper disc.

Slap two recreational vehicle bubble levels on the column, to be sure.
Work is the curse of the drinking class. "Would you like some water?" "No thanks, I'm Irish."

Louchebag Absintheur, Apostolic Alcoholic, Whisky Icarus, Bathtub Alchemist.

Started 2005, went Pro 2017. Federal Excise 51-SL-262.
Getsmokin
Swill Maker

Post by Getsmokin »

Thanks. I had thought about angling the plates. My hope was that there was enough turbulence to keep things moving, but if not it won't take much to change some plates around. I really need to get it fired up, but this year has not been very cooperating.
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

LWTCS wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:55 pm Yeah, that's Abbott's rig from Telluride.

I'd have to go back and read through that thread again, but I think his efficiency issues are really just because he isn't recovering BTUs?
He may have been capturing BTUs at the PC? But he wasn't doing anything about heat going down the drain as column bottoms.
quoting telleruide
"Please read my previous comment, I have done dish and donut and it does not work well at all, it does not slow down the mash enough."
maybe large hole perf plates.
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

Dr gradus uses 6mm holes in a 2" column. I think it was said 6mm holes will handle 3mm solids. Maybe keep his hole size and open area. Not sure how these plates scale when sizing up column. I am interested in a 3" stripper..
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Using 6 mm for the 4" works just fine.
Was using a 19 mm DC for about 35 gallons per hour of feed.
Increasing to a 25 mm DC. Shooting for 40 gph.
Screenshot_20211024-213526_Gallery.jpg
Getsmokin
Swill Maker

Post by Getsmokin »

bluc wrote:
LWTCS wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:55 pm Yeah, that's Abbott's rig from Telluride.

I'd have to go back and read through that thread again, but I think his efficiency issues are really just because he isn't recovering BTUs?
He may have been capturing BTUs at the PC? But he wasn't doing anything about heat going down the drain as column bottoms.
quoting telleruide
"Please read my previous comment, I have done dish and donut and it does not work well at all, it does not slow down the mash enough."
maybe large hole perf plates.
I have not had time to do proper testing on such a setup since the world shutdown (yah yah blame it on the Rona). I am not claiming the dish setup to work, though I did change some dimensions and have hopes of some success.. Time is a very valuable commodity now a days, I will post back when such a failure occurs.
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

I was thinking maybe invert the dish so it bends down same as donut and perforate the dish also. Would slow flow through right down.. i like the big open areas more so then the perf plates..