Continuous Stipper Build

We don’t condone the use of Continuous Stripping stills as a method of running 24/7 as this is a commercial setup only .
Home distillers should never leave any still run unattended and Continuous strippers should not be operated for longer periods than a Batch stripping session would typically be run to minimise operator fatigue..

Moderator: Site Moderator

Getsmokin
Swill Maker

Continuous Stipper Build

Post by Getsmokin »

I'm going to attempt to put together a continuous stripper for on the grain mashes. At this point I'm still collecting parts, so not much for pictures so far.
Plates.jpg
Planning on using these plates
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: Continuous Stipper Build

Post by acfixer69 »

Not much information there with just 2 drilled plates but I'm sure their will be more :thumbup: Yummyrum has one that works. Best of luck.
Getsmokin
Swill Maker

Post by Getsmokin »

Sorry for the lack of content.. I'm still collecting parts and working out the design. I have read the dish and donut may not be efficient enough to make a good stripping plate. Has anyone messed around with them?
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Is that like an oversized (single) valve plate?
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

Yummy has a working continuous with packing (so no solids, only washes), I want to say he's working on plates?? I think I read that on his thread but I don't want to put words in his mouth.

I have done a lot of research and had a ton of input and am working on a 10-plate design, it will be a series of three 3-plate pipes with a tenth plate on top in a mash feed and take-off chamber. The short version will rely on brute power from my steam boiler but once it runs I'll be working on a series of heat exchangers to recycle energy from the hot bottoms and product condenser into the incoming mash.

I'll get a post going now so I have a thread on my build.
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
Getsmokin
Swill Maker

Post by Getsmokin »

LWTCS wrote:Is that like an oversized (single) valve plate?
More of a baffle tray or side to side tray.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Got it.
As I recall, before googe got too old and decrepit to experiment anymore ( :mrgreen: ) he fabbed up a flexible (floppy) plate system that worked really well.
The rub was that finding a safe, suitable, flexible material. But it worked like a charm.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

pope wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:17 am Yummy has a working continuous with packing (so no solids, only washes), I want to say he's working on plates?? I think I read that on his thread but I don't want to put words in his mouth.
I got a whole bunch of copper Pope , I have the desire but not the time at this point . Seeing what I have works for Rum and neutral ( which I mostly make ) , I’m in no real need , it’s just a curiosity . I’m more eager to convert ti steam power before building the plates .

Getsmokin , is it this type of thing you are going to do ?
8124DC49-FA25-4DB6-9B49-201C741E7630.jpeg
Getsmokin
Swill Maker

Post by Getsmokin »

Yummyrum wrote:
pope wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:17 am Yummy has a working continuous with packing (so no solids, only washes), I want to say he's working on plates?? I think I read that on his thread but I don't want to put words in his mouth.
I got a whole bunch of copper Pope , I have the desire but not the time at this point . Seeing what I have works for Rum and neutral ( which I mostly make ) , I’m in no real need , it’s just a curiosity . I’m more eager to convert ti steam power before building the plates .

Getsmokin , is it this type of thing you are going to do ?
8124DC49-FA25-4DB6-9B49-201C741E7630.jpeg
There's that picture, couldn't remember where I saw it. That's what I was thinking of doing, but am having second thoughts after that builder said it wasn't efficient enough.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Yeah, that's Abbott's rig from Telluride.

I'd have to go back and read through that thread again, but I think his efficiency issues are really just because he isn't recovering BTUs?
He may have been capturing BTUs at the PC? But he wasn't doing anything about heat going down the drain as column bottoms.
Getsmokin
Swill Maker

Post by Getsmokin »

LWTCS wrote:Yeah, that's Abbott's rig from Telluride.

I'd have to go back and read through that thread again, but I think his efficiency issues are really just because he isn't recovering BTUs?
He may have been capturing BTUs at the PC? But he wasn't doing anything about heat going down the drain as column bottoms.
I believe it was on a different thread on the same forum that he said it wasn't efficient enough and to use large perf instead.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Large perfs because it would flood too easily?
Getsmokin
Swill Maker

Post by Getsmokin »

For solids, he suggested like 6mm holes no downcomers. I'm going to have to go find the thread again. It is also possible I am mistaken..
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

The column bottoms are going to have so much more heat between being hotter and being a (presumably) larger volume! Solids just make it such a pain to exchange the heat from waste line slurry to the feed line slurry.

I'm doing 1/4" with downcomers but no caps, we'll just have to see how that pans out. Luckily I have plenty of sheet copper so if the plates don't work out I can just throw more hours of my life at the problem.
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Bottoms waste will not have the same viscosity as the beer feed.
Agitating your beerwell will insure uniform beer delivery and
moisture levels in the effluent will increase as beer makes it's way down the column.

There will be enough pressure in the column to drive out waste.
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

LWTCS wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:47 pm moisture levels in the effluent will increase as beer makes it's way down the column.
Dilution finally working in our favor!
googe
retired

Post by googe »

LWTCS wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:44 am Got it.
As I recall, before googe got too old and decrepit to experiment anymore ( :mrgreen: ) he fabbed up a flexible (floppy) plate system that worked really well.
The rub was that finding a safe, suitable, flexible material. But it worked like a charm.
:lol:
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
Getsmokin
Swill Maker

Post by Getsmokin »

Strip2.jpg
Strip1.jpg
Haven't had much time lately, with the world ending and all. Did get the column base plate made and parts acquired to put together most of it.
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

I get the fact many like to do things just to see if you can do it. I certainly get that as it's a challenge and I'm all for it.

But what I wonder is how many of you guys actually can ferment enough to keep a continuous still running? Are you actually going to have shifts of people keeping it going for days at a time? If not how much advantage do you think you'll get over a few batch runs? You could for example use a wort chiller off the condenser in the next batch of mash to start heating it up and to cool your coolant to save time on the next batch leaving just a quick empty/fill.

Just curious how "continuous" have any of you guys done so far in hours?

PS if you guys get these working well, we'll have to add a new rule over column size of continuous stills to fit the hobby size, like the 30 gallon boiler size. LOL
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
Getsmokin
Swill Maker

Post by Getsmokin »

cayars wrote:I get the fact many like to do things just to see if you can do it. I certainly get that as it's a challenge and I'm all for it.

But what I wonder is how many of you guys actually can ferment enough to keep a continuous still running? Are you actually going to have shifts of people keeping it going for days at a time? If not how much advantage do you think you'll get over a few batch runs? You could for example use a wort chiller off the condenser in the next batch of mash to start heating it up and to cool your coolant to save time on the next batch leaving just a quick empty/fill.

Just curious how "continuous" have any of you guys done so far in hours?

PS if you guys get these working well, we'll have to add a new rule over column size of continuous stills to fit the hobby size, like the 30 gallon boiler size. LOL
Would you feel better if it was titled Contintious Style Stripping Column?
"Not for actual continuous use"
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

Nah, title don't matter, but same questions I guess.
I'm not knocking in anyway, just wondering.

For example if doing batches are you trying to replace 3 or 4 batches in one shot? Is that sort of the objective?
Does it save time overall for those who've done it?
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Not being continuous is an advantage for me .

Instead of having to fill a boiler then wait an hour and a half before the first drips appear , its starting to produce after 10-15 min .

On a batch strip you have to then empty it and if you want to do another , refill it again . Now sure , you can preheat the next batch and off you go again after empty/ refill , but you have to do it there and then otherwise the preheating was wasted .

So iffn your life only allows you an hour here and there , then the continuous stripper fills the gap nicely by being able to stop and start for as long as you like .

Oh did I mention that it also requires minimal to no cooling water .

But yes I guess most people think as running 24/7 .
Thats not and never will be the intention.

BTW : nice start on the plates Getsmokin
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

GREAT explanation Yummy.

That makes a whole lot of sense!
Getsmokin
Swill Maker

Post by Getsmokin »

If I may add a difference in flavor profile from flash boiling once momentarily and batch finishing.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Getsmokin wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:59 pm If I may add a difference in flavor profile from flash boiling once momentarily and batch finishing.
That is certainly something that has always piqued my interest in it . There is something about the taste of commercial Rum that has been continuously stripped and then Pot stilled . I am still getting mine functional so haven’t had time to investigate this yet .
Getsmokin
Swill Maker

Post by Getsmokin »

Dish donut plate.jpg
Finally a little more progress.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Thats exciting :thumbup:
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Can you talk a bit more about your thoughts on the plate design?
Getsmokin
Swill Maker

Post by Getsmokin »

LWTCS wrote:Can you talk a bit more about your thoughts on the plate design?
Plan was for a plate that could handle solids well. My understanding that dish and donut plates are pretty inefficient, I was hoping to get around that a little bit by increasing the surface area and adding more plates. Probably didn't answer your question..
Getsmokin
Swill Maker

Post by Getsmokin »

LWTCS wrote:Can you talk a bit more about your thoughts on the plate design?
I would gladly take any input you have on plates and strippers.