Rum Recipe - First Attempt

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

CaptainCanuck
Novice

Rum Recipe - First Attempt

Post by CaptainCanuck »

It looks like I'm going to try making a rum.
I can't say that I am experienced enough, only having made about a dozen neutral washes (Birdwatchers and WBAB), but I don't like the idea of using flavourings all the time.

I decided to cheat a bit and just add molasses into the WBAB recipe. So, in truth most of the recipe development has come from Rad, but I am starting with a variant that was posted by baradsgonetrekkin (Aussiedistiller).

4.05kg Crosby's Fancy Molasses
2kg sugar (white) - Amount might vary slightly +/- as this will be the last sugar added when bringing up the SG
Approx 3 cups crushed weet bix
Approx 3 cups all bran
Approx 1.5 teaspoons epsom salts
Approx 75g of bakers yeast (lowans etc)
Approx 1 teaspoon citric acid (or juice of a lemon)
Water up to around 21litre mark

Method:
- Add approx 1 some boiling water (as little as needed) to saucepan and add molasses, stir over low heat until dissolved.
- Pour some cool water into fermenter, enough so that molasses from above isn't too hot
- Add sugar (approx. 1.5kg) to the now warm water in the fermenter
- Add citric acid and stir
- Add weetbix / allbran into saucepan, add jugful of hot water and simmer on low heat for around a minute, stirring.
-- You could also just boil some water pour into a bowl with the Weetbix/All-bran medley and mix there for a couple minutes --
- Add to fermenter, top up to 21 litres, stir and make sure final temp between around 27-30 degrees celcius.
- Stir in additional white sugar to bring SG up to around 1.09
- Add epsom salts and stir
- Add yeast and stir.
- Set lid on fermenter, secure the lid on day 2

I am looking at vapour infusion of orange peels at time of distillation.

I would welcome any comments, or suggestions. Especially if somebody sees something glaring that is a real dumb idea.
I will be preparing the wash tonight, or tomorrow night so I will try to keep everybody aware of its progress.
“When you’re the author of your own fate, you don’t want to write a tragedy.”
― Chris Hadfield, An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Rum Recipe - First Attempt

Post by Pikey »

Ok couple of points here;

1) you say you have only made neutrals - does that mean you have a T500 or someting similar ? To do rum effectively, you will need to have a pot, or something which can be run in "Pot mode"

2) Sugar, mostly I think molasses is around 33% sugar - Some disagree but I find 1 kg per 5 litres of wash gives a decent abv without taking too long or giveing "bad flavours" - wouldn't be scared of upping the sugar to 3 kg in that reciipe for 21 litres.

3) orange peel in a vapour basket for a rum ? - I think that is inspirational ! don't overdo it and use dried zest if you can, but I'll be looking at that idea with perhaps a little dates, banana and pineapple maybe (all dried)

4) not sure why you need the weetabix et al - but hey - why not ?

Please do post your results :)
CaptainCanuck
Novice

Post by CaptainCanuck »

Pikey wrote: 1) you say you have only made neutrals - does that mean you have a T500 or someting similar ? To do rum effectively, you will need to have a pot, or something which can be run in "Pot mode"
I am running a T500, with SS reflux column. I haven't added the alembic pot still, but according to Still Spirits it is possible to run the reflux column without the packing to simulate the pot still operation (making sure to use more cooling water). I will probably pack the column about a third of the way just to ensure that I get some copper into the vapour flow.
Pikey wrote: 2) Sugar, mostly I think molasses is around 33% sugar - Some disagree but I find 1 kg per 5 litres of wash gives a decent abv without taking too long or giveing "bad flavours" - wouldn't be scared of upping the sugar to 3 kg in that reciipe for 21 litres.
We got the wash to around 1.082 SG. I think we could have pushed that higher, but alas we are where we are. I will look into this for the next batch.
Pikey wrote: 3) orange peel in a vapour basket for a rum ? - I think that is inspirational ! don't overdo it and use dried zest if you can, but I'll be looking at that idea with perhaps a little dates, banana and pineapple maybe (all dried)
I've heard that orange peels is good, in small quantities, for darker rum. I'm not sure if it's true, but it might be worth considering. I like the idea of the dates and pineapple. I'm glad that you mentioned using dried fruit, I wasn't sure about using dried fruit, or fresh.
Pikey wrote: 4) not sure why you need the weetabix et al - but hey - why not ?
I'm not sure either, just following the original neutral recipe. I will certainly post the results, hoping with the daily SG amounts as well.
“When you’re the author of your own fate, you don’t want to write a tragedy.”
― Chris Hadfield, An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

I wouldn't want to push the original gravity any higher. That's just a suggestion.
1.082 is approaching 11% alcohol and you've already given the yeast a lot to think about. You don't want it stressing and giving off flavors you don't want.

I read the AussieDistiller recipe and think a molasses addition is quite interesting. Please post how this comes out!
(For those interested, this is the recipe: https://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopi ... 9f94881d57)

I wish you well on a unique twist to a proven recipe!
CaptainCanuck
Novice

Post by CaptainCanuck »

Quick Update:
Keeping the fermentation temperature around 82F after day 1... Had the heat source fail the first night

Day 0:
Made the mash, didn't have the proper amount of All-Bran, substituted some Weetabix
Starting SG - 1.082 (after temp correction)
After six hours

Day 1:
Slow start
Temp: 64F
SG - 1.080 -- Corrected - SG 1.079
Stirred, Closed Lid and Airlocked

Day 2:
Temp: 80F
SG - 1.059 -- Corrected - SG - 1.060
Stirred, Closed Lid, and Airlocked

Day 3:
Temp: 82F