SCD's Crow Bourbon

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Re: SCD's Crow Bourbon

Post by Rrmuf »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:43 am Yes it's normal. You can get almost 100% liquid back when you squeeze. Go get a 1 or 5 gallon paint strainer bag from Hd/ lowes. Fill it half way with sludge, then squeeze and twist. This is how we all started off. You will eventually get a mop wringer, or wish you had. Down the line there are other options, but for now, go get your $.80 bag, and research strainers.
LOL. I look forward to the day I say "F*ck it: I'm getting a mop wringer!"
Thanks for the assurance and advice.
-- Rrmuf
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I usually lose about a gallon to the grain that the wringer doesn't get, then another gallon or two to the custard as it clears in buckets. My results for this 25 gallon batch haven't been as good. I contribute this to a couple of things. I used Quaker Oats not steam rolled oats, so the only hulls in the grain bed were from the 5# of malted rye. Next time I'll add some rice hulls to the mash, and use feed store crimped or rolled oats.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Ok. Pretty horrible :-) Out of my 23l SCD mash, I got about a 18l into the fermenter and about 15l into my still @7.5%.
Stripped it, and I got about 2.5l @40%. I will have to do better next time!

NOW: I can leave the 2.5l as is in my 4l jug.... but I was thinking: Should I just fill it up with the backset? For flavour? Or is that just a bad idea?
-- Rrmuf
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Ok I plan on doing this but with flake corn in 5 gallon batches anyone see a problem
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Durhommer wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:03 pm Ok I plan on doing this but with flake corn in 5 gallon batches anyone see a problem
Only that you will wish you made a bigger batch :lol:.

Flaked is fine, but cost a dime.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:47 pm
Durhommer wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:03 pm Ok I plan on doing this but with flake corn in 5 gallon batches anyone see a problem
Only that you will wish you made a bigger batch :lol:.

Flaked is fine, but cost a dime.
I plan on 5 gallon batches thru the winter until I have lowines enough for a 2 gallon spirit run corn is cheap at my hb shop its the malt that gets me
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Use rolled oats not Quaker. You'll want the husks. Quaker oats turned to paste in my 25 gallon mash, and with no hulls in the grain bill it made for a lot of custard, and a very long clearing rest.
I still have yet to run this on a spirit run. Low wines are in the carboy.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

@SCD As I sit here sipping on a pinch from the middle cut to 50% I have to say this is a fine drop. Makes a fine white sipper right off the still. Should be really nice after some time in a in a barrel.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Awesome, deplorable! Glad it came together for you. Defintly a step up in mashing and straining techniques, this one is. But hey, what better success is there than having a fine drop in the end, and you were able to learn a couple lessons along the way? Consider your whiskey cabinet and your fermenting skills are both a little wider now :thumbup: .

Do another batch, use rolled oats and toast a little lighter, and give us all a final chapter in your saga :).

Oh, and the magic in this recipe isn't compete until it's aged on oak. When the whiskey comes out on the other side of the dark era, it has a much different flavor progression. More defined, and the vanilla from the oak mixes with the toast of the oats to give that Graham cracker marshmallow subtleness.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:25 am Awesome, deplorable! Glad it came together for you. Defintly a step up in mashing and straining techniques, this one is. But hey, what better success is there than having a fine drop in the end, and you were able to learn a couple lessons along the way? Consider your whiskey cabinet and your fermenting skills are both a little wider now :thumbup: .

Do another batch, use rolled oats and toast a little lighter, and give us all a final chapter in your saga :).

Oh, and the magic in this recipe isn't compete until it's aged on oak. When the whiskey comes out on the other side of the dark era, it has a much different flavor progression. More defined, and the vanilla from the oak mixes with the toast of the oats to give that Graham cracker marshmallow subtleness.
I definately picked something challenging for my first attempt at a corn based AG. Yeah I learned a lot. But large batch mashing the corn meal was easy, the ferment went great, and I learned a lot. Before I make another batch of this, Im going to make a more taditional bourbon based on the Knob Creek 9 y/o mash bill.
Picked my cuts today from yesterdays run, and ended up with 104 ounces @76% after blending what I liked. I put 1 gallon away in a jug at 63% on three 1/2X5/8X6" charred white oak sticks, slowly charred to somewhere between a 3 and 4 char. Set aside a 1/2 pint of white at the same proof to rest in the jar along side the gallon. the rest Im keeping to sip white, about 1L at 63%, and I'll proof it down to 50 for sipping. Then I took the two jars outside my keep jars, blended them together, and stuck them in a qt jar with a toasted and charred "fat finger" .75X.75X6", and burried it in the way back of the shed. Maybe it'll be a treasure in a few years, maybe not. The rest of the feints will get blended in to a future run.
Im feeling pretty good about my ageing stash at this point with 8 gallons put up in the shed since getting started on this hobby in August.
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Did my first "true" all-grain double distillation of this recipe yesterday. From a 15L boiler charge, I got 17x250 mL jars that ranged from 82% down to 63%. Jar 18 was a 1.8L of tails @ 32% that will be saved along with the heads/tails from cuts for a future batch. Everything is now airing out under coffee filters.

Preliminary smell/taste of the jars coming off the still are that jars 4-15 should make the cuts, but we shall see what tomorrow brings!

I have a 3L barrel on order as a present for one of my best friends who's turning 50 this year.

Thanks again for awesome recipe SCD!!!
image.png
image.png (165.41 KiB) Viewed 3490 times
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
Vintage
Novice

Post by Vintage »

Ran this on the flute yesterday. Run was like any other, cuts were pretty straight forward. First Rye recipe so the spice throws me off a bit. I always get a bit of sludge on the electric element that scrubs off easily. A product of running a bit of dirty wash, but never experienced any deleterious effect that I can detect. This time the element has a sort of baked on black substance that's difficult to remove. Wondering if that's from the oats. Didn't detect any off flavors that might indicate a scorch though. Have supplies to run another batch, cause I'm confident this recipe is a gooder, but might need to do a transfer/settle/syphon next time.
BamaHawk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BamaHawk »

Vintage wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:48 pm Ran this on the flute yesterday. Run was like any other, cuts were pretty straight forward. First Rye recipe so the spice throws me off a bit. I always get a bit of sludge on the electric element that scrubs off easily. A product of running a bit of dirty wash, but never experienced any deleterious effect that I can detect. This time the element has a sort of baked on black substance that's difficult to remove. Wondering if that's from the oats. Didn't detect any off flavors that might indicate a scorch though. Have supplies to run another batch, cause I'm confident this recipe is a gooder, but might need to do a transfer/settle/syphon next time.
I would like to benchmark your run against mine as I also use a flute. Can you explain your set-up (# of plates and are you running full reflux)? If so, what ABV are you getting off the still? I'm trying to decide what is the best method to run an all grain on my flute for a whiskey and the search hasn't really produced any good overviews of this.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

2 plates is perfect for whiskey on a column.

I've gone back to a pot still for whiskey, though. You get a little more product from plates, but aged it doesn't beat the flavor of pot still.

Personal experience only, and others will feel different.
Vintage
Novice

Post by Vintage »

BamaHawk wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:08 am
I would like to benchmark your run against mine as I also use a flute. Can you explain your set-up (# of plates and are you running full reflux)? If so, what ABV are you getting off the still? I'm trying to decide what is the best method to run an all grain on my flute for a whiskey and the search hasn't really produced any good overviews of this.
I run 3 plates, but generally only the top 2 have much going on. I try to keep the reflux real low, and ABV in the low 80's. If the ABV drops below 80 mid run I'll reflux briefly to bump it back up a bit. If the ABV climbs to high 80's I don't do anything to correct it. What I keep is usually 85 ABV, then water it back for aging obviously.
ddizzle22
Bootlegger

Post by ddizzle22 »

Once I finally perfect your HBB I definitely want to try this as well. Thanks for sharing.
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Holy schneikies! I just sampled last night some "overflow" product that didnt' fit into my buddies 3L birthday present barrel. It was in glass & oak-spiraled.

Very smooth & delish!!! And it's just over a month old...

Great recipe SCD!!! Will be repeating, possibly with an upped rye %.

Duck
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Well, I have to say that my batch of this is developing into a fine drink. Had a glass tempered down to about 40% this evening, and it's fantastic. I think I nailed it with my toast and char levels. Vanilla, toasty caramel, and a graham cracker finish. Definitely worth all the struggle I had squeezing out my first experience with bourbon. Sure glad I took good notes.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Deplorable wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:43 pm Definitely worth all the struggle I had squeezing out my first experience with bourbon.
Bet you weren't thinking that at the time! :mrgreen:
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Hahaha You know better than anyone I wasn't TB. But what I learned from that batch served me well in my 2nd bourbon mash, and you KNOW that one's going to be a big hit too. I'm looking forward to season #2 in the distillery this fall.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Deplorable wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:50 pm Hahaha You know better than anyone I wasn't TB. But what I learned from that batch served me well in my 2nd bourbon mash, and you KNOW that one's going to be a big hit too. I'm looking forward to season #2 in the distillery this fall.
Yer next batches will only get better

Stay safe
OVZ
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Oldvine Zin wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:11 pm
Deplorable wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:50 pm Hahaha You know better than anyone I wasn't TB. But what I learned from that batch served me well in my 2nd bourbon mash, and you KNOW that one's going to be a big hit too. I'm looking forward to season #2 in the distillery this fall.
Yer next batches will only get better

Stay safe
OVZ
Indeed. I've got a repeatable process down that works well for me and I get about 1.5 gallons to oak from each 25-28 gallon ferment. Keeping good notes has been a key factor. I've got a good cabinet full of stuff aging, now its just a matter of staying ahead of what I consume.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Deplorable, I follow your journey often in many threads. I'm so glad there was reward in a glass at the end of it for ya. This is a really well rounded bourbon, I feel. Glad you picked up on the different layers that I did, too. Enjoy sir! You've earned it.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:50 pm Deplorable, I follow your journey often in many threads. I'm so glad there was reward in a glass at the end of it for ya. This is a really well rounded bourbon, I feel. Glad you picked up on the different layers that I did, too. Enjoy sir! You've earned it.
I'll be putting away a pint jar of this in a hiding spot for long term aging. It still needs a few more months before I start tempering down bottles full. Looking forward to watching this continue to develop.
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

For all of you that were wondering, this recipe is kicking arse in the yellow label/high rye experiment...

I have 4x25L buckets about to spirit run & 4xsugarhead right behind it.

KUDOS to SCD for a fantastic recipe that can be tweaked...

Duck
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I just pulled off my first 5th of this from a gallon that's been on oak sticks for 6.5 months, and tempered it down to 45%. On the nose it's vanilla and tobacco. In the mouth toasty caramel, the vanilla lingers coating your pallet for a long finish while the warmth gently makes its way into your soul. The Graham cracker is slow to appear and subtle. The smell of the empty glass, is that dried stone fruits(?), and pipe tobacco, as the glass dries I can't quite put my finger on that fading smell, but it makes me want to pour another glass.
Great whiskey. I'll be pulling this off one 5th at a time while the rest continues to mature in the jug.
BigJames
Novice

Post by BigJames »

Shine,
Just finished mashing in 10 gallons of CROW bourbon. I can’t wait to taste this. The mash was sweet as sugar and I did the iodine test and got full conversion. Thanks for all the great recipes you share!!!!
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

I just glassed up some high rye CROW (5 lbs of rye malt/3 lb corn). Even just a couple days into oaking, the taste is tremendous!

Sugarhead is right behind it for stripping runs this week.

This is such a great recipe!!!

Duck
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Post by SmokyMtn »

Not sure why this hasn't been moved to T&T section? How bout it
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
BoilerMaker
Novice

Post by BoilerMaker »

SmokyMtn wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:20 am Not sure why this hasn't been moved to T&T section? How bout it
+1
This is a really good bourbon. Nicely balanced, ages relatively fast and it's pretty good when white too. Easy to hit target OG with SoCD's large batch mashing protocol. Thanks a bunch for posting it. Two thumbs up!