Malted Bloody Butcher Bourbon

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Malted Bloody Butcher Bourbon

Post by Windy City »

I have been wanting to make a malted corn bourbon for quite some time but really did not want to go down the rabbit hole of malting the grain myself.
Thanks to this forum I found CNC Malt https://cncmalt.com/product/cnc-malted-corn/
Brendan Carroll is the owner and has been a great guy to deal with.
I ordered 4- 55 pound bags of malted bloody butcher.
fullsizeoutput_2c44.jpeg
I chewed the grain raw (being that it was malted there were no worries of breaking teeth) it has a great nutty and malt flavor and aroma.

This is my large batch mash recipe

Heat 300liters water to 190f
Add 170 pounds of malted bloody butcher milled to flour
Add 500ml of SeBrew HT
set mixer at 40
Hold at 190f for 3 hours
Add 60 liters of water
Crash temperature to 145f
Add 130 grams of gypsum
Add 130 grams of citric acid
Add 500 grams calcium carbonate
Add 60 pounds malted white wheat milled to flour
Add 13 pounds Cara 45 milled to flour
add 260 ml SebSuper
Hold at 145 f for 3 hours
Crash to 72 f
Add .5 oz Fermcap S
Add 290 grams US-05 sprinkled on top with mixer set at 15, once hydrated turned mixer back to 40 and aerated with air stone for 1 hour.
Set fermentation temperature to 72 f
It fermented out in about 4 days
S.G. 1.082 PH 5.6
F.G. 1.001 PH 4.0

I broke it up into several one and done runs distilled on the grain and ran through two bubble cap plates.
The malt, nuttiness and carmel really came through. I saved a little in the white just to get some varied opinions on it from my family members. The flavor is distinct and different than normal corn but quite delicious.
It was really great in the white and I will do this one again. I filled a new 10 gal Barrel Mill barrel and now am going to have to wait two to three years to truly enjoy the fruits of my labor
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Malted Bloody Butcher Bourbon

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Sounds yummy! Bookmarked for Malted Bloody Butcher and Argentina Orange. Look forward to seeing what you think as it ages.

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

Very nice. I bet that will be fine drop.
larsend
Novice

Post by larsend »

Did you have to hold the temperature of the corn at 190 deg for 3 hours, It's malted so shouldn't it be treated the same as the rest of your malts? I don't know anything about those enzymes you used but if everything is malted do you need them? I'm interested in hearing how it ends up because there isn't much here on corn that isn't yellow corn so keep us updated.
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

larsend wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:48 pm Did you have to hold the temperature of the corn at 190 deg for 3 hours, It's malted so shouldn't it be treated the same as the rest of your malts? I don't know anything about those enzymes you used but if everything is malted do you need them? I'm interested in hearing how it ends up because there isn't much here on corn that isn't yellow corn so keep us updated.
This is my normal mash protocol for bourbon.
I hold my corn, oats, millet etc at 190 f for three hours as that is the temp range for gelatinizing for those grains and the three hour cook is what I have come up with over time and research. It works very well for me so if it isn’t broke I am not fixing it.
The Sebrew HT
https://www.enzymeinnovation.com/craft- ... uefaction/
This enzyme works great at high temp for breaking down grains like corn and helps immensely with liquifaction. I highly recommend it and wouldn’t do a big (or any) corn bill without it .
As far as the corn being malted, I had done a bunch of research about malted corn conversion and came to the conclusion it could be done at lower temperature without high temperature enzymes but efficiency suffered. I already buy my enzymes in bulk and my equipment allows me to hold a mash at whatever temperature without scorching for however long I want.
As far as using the SebSuper at 145f even though I am using malted wheat it just insures I will get complete conversion.
I am willing to spend a little extra money on enzymes and a little extra time mashing to insure good conversion and subsequently a good clean ferment
larsend
Novice

Post by larsend »

I don't understand the logic in paying the extra for malted if you aren't using it as a malt. If you are setup to deal with raw corn why not just buy the raw corn from CNC malt? https://cncmalt.com/product/raw-corn/
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

Flavour is my guess. Malting changes flavour quite a lot..
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

bluc wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:10 pm Flavour is my guess. Malting changes flavour quite a lot..
That is exactly why I used malted corn and the flavor that came out in the finish was fantastic and I will do this one again :thumbup:
I make quite a few bourbon’s and like to experiment. Mostly I use plain old corn meal but recently I did a bourbon using frozen sweet corn also this recipe with malted bloody butcher and next I am going to make one with malted Argentina Orange corn. After that I will probably make a four corn bourbon with all my leftovers from above :lol:
With imagination, good processes, the knowledge gained from this forum and practice you can make something fantastic that you normally could not buy.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

bluc wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:10 pm Flavour is my guess. Malting changes flavour quite a lot..
Anyone that doubts that only need grind two identical grains, malted and unmalted , then stick your nose in for a smell .......the difference is hardly subtle.
larsend
Novice

Post by larsend »

What is the flavor difference between malted and unmalted bloody butcher corn? I have never tasted any corn malted and unmalted side by side.
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

Me neither but gunna have go malting some.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

larsend wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:06 pm What is the flavor difference between malted and unmalted bloody butcher corn? I have never tasted any corn malted and unmalted side by side.
Saltbush Bill wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:58 am
Anyone that doubts that only need grind two identical grains, malted and unmalted , then stick your nose in for a smell .......the difference is hardly subtle.
Salty done laid it out. Just stick your nose in it and find out
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

larsend wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:06 pm What is the flavor difference between malted and unmalted bloody butcher corn? I have never tasted any corn malted and unmalted side by side.
Side by side? Hell, ya could taste them a couple days and a year apart and discover that corn malt isn’t nothing like corn! My corn malt whiskeys have run the gamut from funky barn grass to sweet caramel magic. But all among, quite different from my more traditional bourbons.

To know what a river is, get in it!
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

I have never tasted unmalted bloody butcher
I talked to Brendan at CNC Malting he said the malted was sweeter and of course had a good malt flavor, I said to him that I thought it also had a nutty flavor to it of which he agreed.
I haven’t done the Argentina Orange yet ( I haven’t even opened the bags) but he tells me it has rum notes. Hoping to run it next weekend.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:58 am
Well, I have yet to malt my own corn (farm raised by my family). But I have malted our wheat. In fact, I just finished malting a bushel (roughly 50 lb), and the grains smell and taste different between raw (unmalted) and malted. While they both taste like “flour”, or bread-like, the malted wheat has a sweeter taste. In addition, it is somewhat softer too, making it much easier to mill.

And better yet, when I brewed a beer with the malt, the ferment started quickly and fermented strong with a thick, rich meringue-like krausen, nice and white. It fermented fast too, getting to the latent ferment in about 24-30 hours.

So, if at all possible, I recommend using malted grains even though you can brew with unmalted grains and enzymes. The malted grains will have a nice flavor, different from the unmalted grains. I won’t say it has more flavor, just that it is a better flavor. And malting helps develop enzymes too, making the mash more effective too.

Next on my agenda is to try to malt some of our (field) corn.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Pkambrbn
Novice

Post by Pkambrbn »

Had to try this and made my first batch of bloody butcher bourbon. I'm sold. Definitively has a sweeter smell and taste. Added some oats to mine. Not sure if I can wait for it to age. At least half will be gone, but I'll just have to make more.
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

Pkambrbn wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:03 am Had to try this and made my first batch of bloody butcher bourbon. I'm sold. Definitively has a sweeter smell and taste. Added some oats to mine. Not sure if I can wait for it to age. At least half will be gone, but I'll just have to make more.
Did you use malted bloody butcher?
Pkambrbn
Novice

Post by Pkambrbn »

I did. From CNCMalt. A little pricey to ship but a nice treat every once in awhile
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Did ya make a sugarhead from spent grains? I've read that suggestion here on HD as a mechanism to help keep your paws off the A/G stuff until it ages properly.

I've got 4 buckets of Irish whiskey (40% Golden Promise/40% unmalted barley/10% corn meal/10% toasted oats) finishing up on some Angel Yeast that will become a sugarhead.

Duck
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
Pkambrbn
Novice

Post by Pkambrbn »

No, but that's a great idea! That Irish whiskey recipe is looking like my next new one though(thanks). Been getting a little burned out of bourbon.
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

Pkambrbn wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:25 am I did. From CNCMalt. A little pricey to ship but a nice treat every once in awhile
That’s awesome
Glad you were happy with it
Pkambrbn
Novice

Post by Pkambrbn »

Ok, been stewing over the sugar head scenario a bit. A couple of questions came to mind ( professing my ignorance here): 1. Would you use corn sugar with the spent malted corn? 2. How long would you steep the sugar-corn mash to pull the best flavor? I'm somewhat excessive with my corn, cooking at least 3 hours to extract all I can

Thanks.
Patrick
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

I haven’t done one of these in years but check out Jimbo’s gumball head section of this recipe
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 14&t=39617