High yield turbo yeasts

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Ed8655
Novice

High yield turbo yeasts

Post by Ed8655 »

I have a bit of an experiment going. From this forum, I've learned the high yield turbo yeasts aren't as tasty at plain old bakers yeast. So, I'm currently fermenting a batch of each to see just how true this holds. So far, it's proven itself right. But I have a question now that I'm at the point of distillation: if this carbon clarifier stuff doesn't work, how does one go about cleaning up that sugar wash? Do you just run it with the black funk in it or (and this is my plan) can you wrack it off through a fuel filter and take some of it out in an attempt to clean it up? I'm very interested in hearing some of the methods members have used in the past to clean up a mash before distillation. Seems to me that the less solids you get in the pot, the cleaner your run is.

Respectfully submitted,

Ed
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: High yield turbo yeasts

Post by EricTheRed »

I scoop out into a 25 litre bucket, with a colander and cheese cloth in the path
then let it sit overnight
rack off and run
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Ed8655 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:21 am… how does one go about cleaning up that sugar wash? …
Simple …. don’t put CRAP into your wash that you’ll have to take out!

Turbo yeasts contain a lot of chemicals to “supercharge” the yeast, making it ferment voraciously or more alcohol tolerant. This is acceptable if you’re making alcohol for fuel. But, if you intend to consume the products after distillation, your best approach is to avoid producing the toxic congeners in the first place.

Of course, you’ll need to provide the nutrients yeast needs for metabolism of the sugars (sugar provides the food/energy for the metabolism, but yeas need certain minerals too). Nitrogen, phosphorous, and calcium along with some vitamins help with the life cycle of the yeast cells.

But certainly you can “experiment” with Turbos to see how you “like” the products. However, don’t expect to make a better quality spirit using them even after “filtering” with carbon. Sure, you can remove some of the CRAP, but if you don’t want it in your wash … don’t put it there in the first place.

What does “George” tell you to do with it?
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Ed8655
Novice

Post by Ed8655 »

Still stirrin, I agree. In so far as my experimentation goes, the turbo yeast is crap. Further, it stands to reason anything you have to carbon filter before consumption has got to be full of crap. I think I'm going to stick with plain old bakers yeast, however, if a guy can clean up that black chalky looking stuff with any effect, he could make a super clean run of regular mash. I tried straining, some effect. Then into another vessel, I wracked it off through a clean and new 15 micron fuel filter inline of the siphon hose. This worked relatively well. I reckon that the cleaner I can get the trash mashes and washes, then when I get to the point of making high end stuff, I'll have a super clean recipe.
Metalking00
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Metalking00 »

Ive used bentonite to clean up a few sugar washes. It made it nice and clear very quickly, but i cant say wether it had a positive effect on the distilled product. My bag of kitty litter has sat unused since then.

My experience with the carbon powder and subsequent liquid that the turbos use for clearing was suboptimal, much worse than the benronite. Like most here, i found everything associated with the turbos to be shitty, though they did provide an easy and "successful" intro to this hobby that i have been enjoying ever since...
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Metalking00 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:08 am Like most here, i found everything associated with the turbos to be shitty,
:thumbup:
That about sums it up!
Turbos are for learners who don't know what they don't know yet.
There is a second sort of person who also loves turbos, clearing agents and carbon to filter the end product.
Those are the HBS owners who are making money from those products, the more often you go back to buy more of it the happier they are. :lol:
Learn the proper ways of doing things and leave that rubbish on the shelf.
Ed8655
Novice

Post by Ed8655 »

Well fellows, you nailed it. That's the basis of my experiment. I'm BRAND SPANKING new to this. The turbo has been cussed and discussed as well as the standard yeast. I figured I'd try both for my first time and see which was better for myself. So far, the mash itself tastes better from the slow method. The turbo has already been distilled and yield a 2 1/4 gallon yield on 6 gallons. (Anything under 100 proof, I don't count.) To your point Saltbush, that's exactly what I'm doing is trying to learn the proper ways.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I'll add one small bit of food for thought, If using turbo yeasts and large quantities of sugar to make high ABV washes was a a good idea, I would think that it would be common practice in the commercial world. It aint so .....I wonder why ?
It sure could save them a lot of time and effort when it came to making ethanol for drinking, instead we have commercial distilleries making Vodka and the like from Low ABV grain mashes and using any yeast they can other than turbo yeast.
Whole damn thing is a scam promoted by a few big company's and a lot of HBS who cant part you from your money fast enough IMO.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

I respect your experiment, kudos for putting forth the effort for yourself. I think a lot of people simply ask the brain trust and never decide to make a judgment call for themselves. Or they’ll fight the brain trust and beat their heads against a wall trying to prove everyone wrong or reinvent the wheel. Never used turbo myself, I’m not sure of this black funk you speak of but cold crashing is all I’ve ever done to clear up my ferments. IMO Salty hit it on the head. If turbo was what it was sold as, the big boys would be using it. Yeast cultivation and the many ways in which it interacts with our fermentation’s is fascinating. Have fun.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Dathhu
Bootlegger

Post by Dathhu »

Stonecutter wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:27 pm Never used turbo myself, I’m not sure of this black funk you speak of but cold crashing is all I’ve ever done to clear up my ferments.
I believe this would be the "turbo sugar", which is just sugar mixed with activated charcoal (and sold for a ludicrous price) or some other still spirits item you're suggested to put into a wash. Basically, just an extra money rort to "clean up your wash" to hide the fuesels and heads...
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Ahh…I see. Disgusting.
I don’t even get the turbo sales pitch.
Hey you…yeah you…are you tired of your ferments taking too long?!? Do you wish to make filthy jet fuel..? Then boy do I have a product for you!
With this new and improved, handy dandy turbo yeast you’ll literally cut a day or two from your ferments and oh boy will your product be disgusting. Buy it now for the low low price of just $6 a pack! Act now to make your friends and family cringe at the smell of your filthy and rushed product.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Dathhu
Bootlegger

Post by Dathhu »

The only thing I like about them is that they gave me an entry point.

Back in high school, had a mate who worked at a home brew store. He bought the essencia reflux still. Combined with the turbo yeasts, carbon, z filter... I thought it was great at the time. Got me Hella drunk... Looking at it now though, 80% is rather bad, but what can you expect from a tiny column like that :)

Probably some of the worst hangovers ever though, but didn't know that at that time...

Years later, bought a second hand T500 still, proceeded to use turbo and carbon. Was a damn sight better, but still was not great.

Found this forum some how, tried a birdwatchers... Wow. Just wow.

Learnt cuts, tried a couple other washes. Bought a pot head. Did some pot stilled spirits. Built a CCVM. Just started using a new, bigger, better boiler.

Sure, costs have blown out a bit, but I think I'm almost caught up with the commercial stuff on taste. Give some of this stuff a couple more years and I think I'm going to be one happy guy :)