Cornflakes wash SG ?

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Biff_McNielly
Novice

Cornflakes wash SG ?

Post by Biff_McNielly »

I’ve seen a lot of recipes that use cornflakes for flavor in a sugar wash. This seems like a waste with all those starches in there so I just ordered some amylase enzime and I’m going to try to make a batch of cornflakes mash using that converterd sugar. I will be making 5 gallons and will probably still need to add sugar to this to get the SG right but

What should my target Specific Gravity be? I will be using hood old Red Star Bakers yeast as well.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Cornflakes wash SG ?

Post by still_stirrin »

Biff_McNielly wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:20 am I’ve seen a lot of recipes that use cornflakes for flavor in a sugar wash. This seems like a waste with all those starches in there so I just ordered some amylase enzime and I’m going to try to make a batch of cornflakes mash using that converterd sugar. I will be making 5 gallons and will probably still need to add sugar to this to get the SG right
If you don’t mash grains, it’s still a sugar wash.

Processed corn flakes, like you buy at the grocery store are not the same as flaked corn you buy from the homebrew store. Cornflakes have been supplemented with vitamins which will provide nutrients for the yeast. But they won’t have the same flavor addition as flaked corn would.

And the enzymes probably won’t give you much additional fermentable material from the cornflakes. So, I’d just stick to the T&T recipe and save the enzymes for a real corn mash.
Biff_McNielly wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:20 am What should my target Specific Gravity be?
OG=1.074, which is around a 10% potential. That’s a “happy place”.
Biff_McNielly wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:20 am I will be using hood old Red Star Bakers yeast as well.
It’ll do. But I strongly urge you to rehydrate the dry yeast before you pitch, if nothing else, to prove viability. It also helps to restore the integrity to the cell walls which are very fragile as a result of the dehydration process.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K