Kashi 7 whole grain puffs

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

nevadadrifter
Novice

Kashi 7 whole grain puffs

Post by nevadadrifter »

I was thinking of trying to run some of the Kashi "7 whole grain puffs" cereal as essentially a variation of UJSSM. The only listed ingredients are as follows-

Whole hard red wheat
Whole brown rice
Whole oats
Whole barley
Whole triticale (no idea what this is)
Whole rye
Whole buckwheat
Sesame seeds

The only thing that concerns me is the sesame seeds. When eating the cereal, I am not able to detect any sesame seeds, but they are small and probably very easy to miss. I'm worried that any any significant amount of sesame seeds might produce sesame oil in the mash.

The obvious answer is "try a batch and let us know how it turns out", but I've just started my first batch of UJSSM fermenting yesterday, so having yet to perform even a cleaning run, I'm obviously too new at this to know too much about what I'm doing.

Does anyone have any thoughts about how this might turn out?

*edit*- Turns out triticale is a wheat/rye hybrid. I learned something today! :egeek:
Daddy made whiskey and he made it well
Cost two dollars and it burned like hell
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Kashi 7 whole grain puffs

Post by Dnderhead »

sounds ok ,triticale is a hybrid of wheat/rye
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

I'd give it a go, sounds good to me.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
nevadadrifter
Novice

Post by nevadadrifter »

Thanks guys! As soon as I get a few runs of UJSMM under my belt, and get a little more knowledgable about proper cuts and such, I think I'll give it a go!
mystakilla
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by mystakilla »

I know this is very old post but i was wondering if there is any report on how it turned out.

I have a box of this sitting in pantry and thought of trying it but did a search here first and found this thread.
wineboxwilly
Novice

Post by wineboxwilly »

I just added 1 kg of red river cereal to my 3rd gen ujssm fermentor. I am hoping it adds a bit more wheat tastes to my brew. I was looking at the Kashi as well, there are alot of good grain cereal blends out there, especially in the all natural sections of the grocery store.
nevadadrifter
Novice

Post by nevadadrifter »

I never did try this one. I think maybe I was getting a little ahead of myself with recipe ideas before getting my technique down solid first.