Kahlua

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

pothead
Rumrunner

Kahlua

Post by pothead »

Kahlua
1.5 cups brown sugar
1 cup regular granulated sugar
1/2 cup instant coffee
3 cups neutral spirit
2 tsp pure vanilla extract, or 1/2 vanilla bean

combine sugars in just enough water to melt ingredients together and heat 5 minutes. Gradually add coffee using a whisk until blended, then cool. Pour into bottle, add spirit and vanilla. Age 2 weeks, remove bean if used. Makes 1 liter.

I try to keep the finished product between 80-100 proof.

I personally like putting some crushed ice in a highball glass, and mixing this stuff 50/50 with whole milk. Tastes like an Iced Cappucino.

I can't remember where I got this recipe, But it has been my favorite winter drink for 2 years.
"Be nice to America, or we'll bring democracy to your country."
"The best things in life aren't things."

"Imagination is more important than Knowledge"-Albert Einstein
absinthe
Rumrunner

Post by absinthe »

has anyone tried makeing kahlua with coffee grounds?
Whiskey, the most popular of the cold cures that don't work (Leonard Rossiter)
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

"absinthe"
has anyone tried makeing kahlua with coffee grounds?
I grind my coffee to espresso grind, and have a Aero Press (best coffee press I have ever found) to make my coffee with. I have used these grounds, and they make WONDERFUL nice kahlua. I do strain it through a filter after aging a few weeks, but other than that, I think it has a better flavor (even with "spent" grounds), than using an intant coffee mixture. I usually shoot for 50-60 proof (I like it straight up or on the rock), but may try a higher proof, and do the milk mix thing mentioned above.

H.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

This Came from Tonys sight I make my kahula similer to one on it using same brand instant coffee I regularly drink .Tryed it with grounds and couldnt taste a differanceonly I make mine 100 proof. COFFEE LIQUEUR
INGREDIENTS

* 100 grams of very fine grounded coffee.
* 2 mL of vanilla essence
* 0.75 Litres of sprits, 45%
* 0.5 Litres of water.
* 0.75 kg of sugar
* 2 tablespoons of milk

METHOD

Combine the coffee, vanilla essence and sprits into a large jar, seal tight a store for a week, shaking daily. After a week filter the liquid (without the sedement). Into the bottle with the remaining sedement, add half of the water (250 mL), when settled, filter the liquid (without the sedement). Add the other half of the water, and filter. Discard the sedement. Dissolve the sugar in the coffee extract and add the milk. Shake well and store in a cool dark place for one week, until settled. Filter the liquid and store. Liqueur gains taste after standing of a long time, best after 3-6 months.

Wal writes ...

After a tiring session of distilling ,it's good to take a coffee break. Adding spirits like rum, cognac, calvados and liqueurs like Sambucca to coffee is common in Europe, so it's no wonder there are coffee based liqueurs - two of the most well known are 'Tia Maria' and 'Kahlua'.

'Tia Maria' comes with a colorful story (yes another one). "The story of the recipe dates back to the 17th centurry, when Jamaica was caught up in the colonial wars that raged across the Caribbean. When one estate was attacked the owners had to flee, and the young daughter and her maidservant Maria got separated from the rest of the family. Maria managed to collect her mistress's possesions, along with a box containing (wait for it) the secret recipe for the family's coffee liqueur. Years later the girl gave the recipe to her daughter, who named the liqueur Tia Maria (Aunty Mary) after the servant." ('Spirits & Cocktails' Dave Broom,1998). What I can gather is that it is a coffee, chocolate and spiced rum liqueur. In the West Indies, spices such as cinnamon, cloves, vanilla, nutmeg, rosemary and pepper are used to flavor rums. A well known brand is 'Capitan Morgan Original Spiced Rum' which contains cinnamon, cloves, vanilla. Cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla is another combination used in other rums.

'Kahlua' claims to be Mexican, although the original label had a turban clad figure within Moorish arches. It now has a stereotype Mexican in a sombrero, in a siesta posture. It is the second biggest selling liqueur in the world.
There are numerous coffee liqueur recipes. I tried to rationalize them to the one below, so that one can experiment for themselves:

Kahlua style Coffee Liqueur (using real coffee)
o 2 cups ground coffee beans (medium roast pure arabica beans - Blue Mountain style would be appropriate)
o 3 cups boiling water
o 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
o 1/2 cup light brown sugar
o 3 cups pure alcohol (40%abv)
o 1 vanilla bean or 1 tsp. vanilla extract
o 1 tsp. glycerin
Combine boiling water and ground coffee, strain through sieve filter - basically a filtered coffee (or make it using a coffee pluger). Combine coffee and sugars, in a saucepan and heat for 5 minutes, but do not boil. Allow to cool. Stir in alcohol, vanilla, glycerin. You could try a short cut version with 8 tbsp. of premium instant coffee powder (1/2 cup).

For Tia Maria use a dark spiced rum or make your own using cinnamon, cloves, vanilla. For the chocolate, we could add 1 tbsp. cocoa powder, as dark cooking chocolate might contain too much cocoa butter.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Workerbee47
Novice

Kahlua

Post by Workerbee47 »

Hello Tater, this sounds great, I had some Kahlua the other week that someone had made for a friend of mine, but they did not know how they made it. I would like to try to make some, and this one sounds great, but my question to you is that you add milk to it and then you say to let it stand for several months would be best!! would'nt that cause a problem with the milk in there and not being in a fridg., even milk in a fridg. for months would go bad!! But it must work or you would not be doing it. Please shine some light on this question for me. Thanks
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

I said my was similer I dont use the milk.My recipe is closer to 2nd one.
Midol
Novice

Post by Midol »

Not Kaluha but with Irish Cream how do you thicken it without cream? Wouldn't the cream go off? (Mum finishes hers in about a week but I want to start having a few bottles at all times)
NcHooch
retired

Re:

Post by NcHooch »

Tater wrote:
Kahlua style Coffee Liqueur (using real coffee)
o 2 cups ground coffee beans (medium roast pure arabica beans - Blue Mountain style would be appropriate)
o 3 cups boiling water
o 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
o 1/2 cup light brown sugar
o 3 cups pure alcohol (40%abv)
o 1 vanilla bean or 1 tsp. vanilla extract
o 1 tsp. glycerin
Combine boiling water and ground coffee, strain through sieve filter - basically a filtered coffee (or make it using a coffee pluger). Combine coffee and sugars, in a saucepan and heat for 5 minutes, but do not boil. Allow to cool. Stir in alcohol, vanilla, glycerin. You could try a short cut version with 10 tsp. of premium instant coffee powder (1/2 cup).
I made a batch of this recently except :
used 5 cups of 90 proof, with 3 cups water for the coffee,
and Honey instead of glycerin.
... some kinda tasty!
thanks
NChooch
Practice safe distillin and keep your hobby under your hat.
Bushman
Admin

Re: Kahlua

Post by Bushman »

I read in a thread that it is even better with cold coffee so I have some Starbucks cold coffee beans and plan on seeping them overnight and then running it through my vacuum filter and adding to a recipe very close to taters.
nexatron
Novice

Post by nexatron »

Hi Tater

I'd love to try your second recipe but I'm just a little confused about the units. I live in the UK and as you are know our Imperial units differ. What makes it doubly confusing is that measures such as pints, cups tblsp and tsp differ so I'm trying to work your recipe back in metric. I understand that 1 US cup = 480ml but where you state 10 tsp = 1/2 cup I concerted this back to 50ml - lke 1/5 of a cup.

Do you mean 10 tbsp rather than tsp which comes up at 140ml which is roughly 1/2 a cup?

Cheers.
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Braz »

Up until now I have always used a neutral spirit as a base for kalhua but I have since learned that "authentic" kalhua uses rum as the base spirit. So my next batch (I make this up for Christmas gifts) will be rum based.
Braz
drunkmore
Novice

Post by drunkmore »

nexatron wrote:Hi Tater

I'd love to try your second recipe but I'm just a little confused about the units. I live in the UK and as you are know our Imperial units differ. What makes it doubly confusing is that measures such as pints, cups tblsp and tsp differ so I'm trying to work your recipe back in metric. I understand that 1 US cup = 480ml but where you state 10 tsp = 1/2 cup I concerted this back to 50ml - lke 1/5 of a cup.

Do you mean 10 tbsp rather than tsp which comes up at 140ml which is roughly 1/2 a cup?

Cheers.
Hi nexatron
you might need to send your question to Tater in a PM as i think this is a "quote" from another post, and on top of this the post is from last year, so he may not see it for some time.
I too am confused as i am in Australia and we are in a metric system.
I can prove its confusing to many as I have a measuring jug thats made in USA, has cups marked on one side 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 etc. and the scale next to that shows mills and has a 1 cup marked in that scale about 10 mills higher than the first one.
I drink there for I am.
I mrink there for I ad.
I .... oh gorfet et.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

1/2 cup is 24 teaspoons or 8 tablespoons in US measurements.

As an administrator Tater doesn't always comment but you can bet he is monitoring most all posts.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

That recipe was copied as is from parent site. http://homedistiller.org/flavor/liqueurs/coffee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow. Mine is close to that 2nd one cept I use less water and higher proof likker.I like mine around 100 proof .Great for sippin straight or adding to coffee on a cold day. Always used the 1/2 cup measurement So hadn't noticed mistake in it (but will correct in on forums). Got some Ive been aging around 3 years now .Guess its about time for a sample when we get first frost this fall..
mealstrom
Swill Maker

Post by mealstrom »

I made some of this, then adapted it to make a Jamaican rum cream recipe that also turned out amazing.

Both of these were helped quite a bit by adding about 1/4 cup of milk to the recipe. It not only thinned it out a bit so it wasn't like straight cream, but it also helped bring out quite a bit of flavors that were lost in the thickness of the cream.
gsugg
Novice

Post by gsugg »

I know this is an old post, but had to add in my results. I actually made it to 10 minutes in aging before I had to try it. All I've got to say is if it gets better with aging, I'm going to have to make about 5 gallons at the time. My wife and I both loved it the same night I finished mixing it.

Recipe: Adapted from Fester's, Tater's and others and tweaked to my liking.

1.5 pounds cheap but fresh ground coffee.
1/2 gallon cold water.
3 cups white sugar
3 cups Panela sugar
1/4 stick melted butter
3 tablespoons vanilla extract
2 750 ml bottles approximately 100 proof neutral

Mixed in 1/2 gallon of cold water and 1.5 lbs fresh ground (cheap) coffee, and allowed to cold brew for 12 hours. Ran it through my french/plunger coffee press to do the first filter. This was at end of 12 hours cold brewing. Heated slowly and just enough to melt together 3 cups of white sugar, 3 cups of Panela sugar that Sugar Daddy sent me. Used 1/4 cup melted butter for little body. After butter melted, added the 3 tablespoons vanilla extract. After cooling topped up to one gallon with 2 bottles of about 100 proof neutral (grain so little less bite), and a little water to make about 1 gallon or a little more. When it gets a little older, I'll probably paper filter it for good measure, but I'm not picky.

I waited a whole 10 minutes to mix a little with milk and few cubes of ice. If it gets any better, it'll never last to aging time at only a gallon made at a time! Thanks so much for this recipe. For less than about 20 bucks, got a gallon of best coffee liqueur I've personally ever had. By way, this recipe is really forgiving. Just start and adjust to your liking.

If this needs to be moved to another area, please do so and let me know.
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

Revival
We grow coffee
Looking for something to do with takings from my all feints run.
I roast the coffee we drink anyway and it's dark roast expresso roast. I like Cuban coffee too.
That being said,
75grams ground dark beans
150 grams raw cane sugar
Half liter water
I put the sugar in the first, add some boiling water ,stir, then the coffee, the remaining water and let this steep over night before dropping the plunger.
To this I add half liter 80%
That makes 1liter 40% +- coffee liqueur