Still working on this

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

the pure drop
Novice

Still working on this

Post by the pure drop »

Still working on this, but I thought I'd share my own label for my UJSSM variation. A little research I have dug up indicates that "poitin" basically is a term used for any illicit irish spirits. The traditional grain of choice for poitin seems to be barley, but it seems to have been made from nearly anything that will ferment. Not sure who to credit for the celtic stag artwork, but since I'm not selling but rather using for personal use only, I don't think it much matters. My wife did all the work on the computer, since she is more adept at that sort of thing than I am lol. Let me know what you think of it.
Attachments
2011-08-28_15.19.03.jpg
The Pure Drop
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: uncle jesse's simple sour mash method

Post by Odin »

Pure Drop,

Looks great! And yeah, poitín is usually made from barley & not oaked or aged, I read. Also, I learned from my Irish friends, they drink it STRONG. Like 60 to 70% ABV ...

Just strip runned my fifth generation of UJSSM. And started my 6th gen. Added some more backset this time (60%), a little calcium carbonate for better PH, some yeast nutrients. Apart from replacing around 20% of my cracked corn, I also added some 200 grams of cracked malted & lightly peated barbley. Interested in learning how this influences taste.

Also, I find myself running somewhat deeper into tails when making my cuts. Somehow, after a day of airing out, the cans I thought would be tails, still made sense to me. So I put them in with the hearts. Any experiences there? The runs that are now on JD oak chips for 2 weeks look already great. Tasted it and I am impressed as to what the wood does to the likker ... A few more weeks, a few more generations and I will have some friends over for a taste or two.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
the pure drop
Novice

Post by the pure drop »

Thanks for the compliment Odin. Yes, I knew that poitin is un-aged and un-oaked...so it fit right in lol. I don't know how clear the label pic is, but I'll reprint the writting on the label:

Stag's Head Poitin, The Pure Drop, This un-aged, double-distilled spirit is an American take on ancient Irish small-scale distilling traditions. Made from the highest quality white corn and bottled at 100 proof.

I know they drink it strong, but for me...100 proof is just about right...nice alcohol burn, but not so much that it gives me heart burn lol. Sweet, and a nice whisper of smooth corn. Really silky. Love this stuff. I'd be making barley poitin if I could find a way around paying $50 shipping for a 50 lb bag of barley that only costs $20. Sucks living overseas sometimes lol. Oh well, gives me one more thing to look forward to for when I get back to the US lol

The Pure Drop
The Pure Drop
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Sounds great, looks great Pure Drop! Like your approach to Poitín. I think I will do that as well, but than based on a barley/UJSSM variety. Curious as to what that does to taste & smell! And fortunately barley is a little less expensive over here. And I have got some Irish friends / whiskey lovers living at only 25 miles from here. They are always ready to come over and taste! Maybe we should start up a Poitín tread? Made some from Irish Stout once. Not bad at all, but an acquired taste.

Odin. :thumbup:
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
the pure drop
Novice

Post by the pure drop »

Poitin from stout beer, sounds interesting and sounds like a big foamy mess in the still. I would think that making it from malted barley grain would be much cheaper lol. I have a pretty cheap source of pearled barley which I am considering using for a barley-esque ujssm variant. I'm thinking it will take more than 7 lbs of pearled barley to get the flavor from the grain. Not sure if I should cook the pearled barley first or not. I'm thinking I will start with 9 or 10 lbs. I know that doing it with malted barley would be cheaper...but it's too damn expensive for me to get here. at any rate, I love this corn ujssm, and will keep making it, but will try the barley for a few generations as an experiment.
The Pure Drop