Mushroom Brandy

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

LWTCS
Site Mod

Re: Mushroom Brandy

Post by LWTCS »

One of my guys does a truffle vodka. I personally do not like it at all. But evidently he is using it as the base for one of his Bloody Mary recipes out of the tasting room.

Taste like,,,,,dirt to me. He won a gold medal at one of the spirits events though so God bless him.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Post by distiller_dresden »

I'd think mushroom liquors wouldn't be good on their own, but rather as reductions, say in a lobster or steak butter sauce, or in this application as additions to complimentary mixed drinks.

Man, I'd love to have a mushroom brandy butter reduction sauce over surf and turf...
I read, I write, I still.
The must interstitial man no Earth.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

distiller_dresden wrote:I'd think mushroom liquors wouldn't be good on their own, but rather as reductions, say in a lobster or steak butter sauce, or in this application as additions to complimentary mixed drinks.

Man, I'd love to have a mushroom brandy butter reduction sauce over surf and turf...
Ah right!
Had some escargot recently with a Pernod reduction and it was amazing. And I don't like absinthe at all on it's own accord.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
distiller_dresden
Trainee

:Homer drool: Sounds divine!

Yeah, I have an aversion to licorice anything since a babysitter played a trick on me at 11. Had some of that super ammoniated Dutch or German... Candy?? Anyway, I thought it was sugar-coated licorice fish. I used to love Good n Plenty, too. Now I know what it's like to lick the bottom of a forgotten filthy cat box.

Anyhow - veering off topic - I'm interested in furthering this experiment. Morel season is near/coming, I'd like to try and make a morel malted brandy (to enhance the nutty flavor), maybe with LME as it would be easier to work with than DME, and get the lightest LME possible, and dry morels. They have a wonderful nutty flavor that is really enhanced when they are dried.

Are there any mushroom experts coming by who can maybe contribute thoughts or ideas to complimentary mushrooms, so my wallet isn't so punched by the morels... And maybe a liquid base for mixing with the LME and the dried shrooms, something delicate, even something that a traditional brandy would be familiar to. Pear juice?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Hmm, maybe I won't be making a mushroom brandy with morels... $500 a pound for dried LMMFAO! Whew, damn. Need to find a different mushroom there, dresden...