Special K Vodka

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

cooperville
Novice

Re: Special K Vodka

Post by cooperville »

let us all know how you find it i have all bran at home at the moment so will put a batch of that on when i get home
A good day is any day you finish with the same number of bones you started with, and all the ligaments attached.
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Braz »

All Bran fermentation time: As cooler weather sets in my All Bran is taking 12-14 days to ferment to dry. I do not yeast bomb mine and I keep the ferment temp around 78F. I'm sure these two things are what causes the slow ferment. I don't mind, though. Time is cheaper than trying to heat the fermenters and the slow ferment has no effect on the final product as far as I can tell.
Braz
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Braz wrote:All Bran fermentation time: As cooler weather sets in my All Bran is taking 12-14 days to ferment to dry. I do not yeast bomb mine and I keep the ferment temp around 78F. I'm sure these two things are what causes the slow ferment. I don't mind, though. Time is cheaper than trying to heat the fermenters and the slow ferment has no effect on the final product as far as I can tell.
I am with you most of the things I ferment run 2-3 weeks, and when you separate the by a week that is plenty of stillin several times a month.
pounsfos
Distiller

Post by pounsfos »

Yes well, It's slowly coming into warmer temps down here

(been a real mission stopping the yeast from going dormant evan with heat pads!!)

So we are starting to see faster fermenting times

My airlock is bubbling away so we are getting somewhere, only going for 12% for this wash of bran
yankeeclear
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yankeeclear »

Odin - thanks for the recipe and the update. I will definitely be trying your recipe and will let you know how it goes when I do. Anyone else care to share their experience? Sam?

pounsfos - I will be interested to hear how your product turns out - don;t forget to share!
“Half the lies they tell about me aren't true.”
-Yogi Berra
pounsfos
Distiller

Post by pounsfos »

alright, sorry about the late reply guys, had a batch going a month ago, but it got tipped out, (forgot to tell the misses I brew alcohol)

anyway started a batch on wednesday (2 days ago)

5kg sugar
3 cups special K
made upto 22 litres
3 TBsp of yeast, made in a 3 litre starter
bubbling away nicely, but all the special K is floating on top, did you guys get the same thing, can still hear it bubbling away but it is quite a cap.

broke my hydrometer while I was doing a spirit run, so can't say what the exact sg was, but you could work it out if you wanted, buying another one tomorrow anyway so I can keep[ track of how fast it is fermenting

will keep you updated