Whiskey Dunder Pit

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Whiskey Dunder Pit

Post by Saltbush Bill »

My guess is that after a 3 or 4 hundred years of making whisky if it where a great idea....the big commercial distillers would have been doing it years ago.
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:32 pm My guess is that after a 3 or 4 hundred years of making whisky if it where a great idea....the big commercial distillers would have been doing it years ago.

Well, my question is why rum, but not whiskey?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Because it works for Rum......its been done with rum by the commercial guys since the early part of Rum making history.
Doesnt it make sence that if it worked for whisky the whisky guys would have been doing it for a few hundred years by now.
Go right ahead and give it a go........but i'll be supprised if you re-invent the wheel.
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

More interested in the science behind it....not whether it is done or not by tradition.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Goal of the dunder pit is to acheive fruity esters which are complimentary in rum (thus all the tiki bar drinks). Not really a goal for whiskey, but go for it.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

dunluce wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:39 pm not whether it is done or not by tradition.
It has very little to do with tradition.....it has to do with what works and what doesn't to get a particular result in a particular type of spirit.
dunluce wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:39 pm More interested in the science behind it
Some reading here for you that may help.
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 01&t=83139
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

Well, seeing as my new batch of whiskey mashes have 2 out of four that developed a lacto infection, I think it's a good time to try it and see what comes of it. I remember seeing on here some story about a "Groshen" (sp?) who made excellent scotch that may possibly have been produced using "stale beer"- a whiskey dunder pit possibly?
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

received_824107405151031.jpeg
Well, the lacto infection sure seems to like the leftovers.
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

So my rum dunder pit never did take off, even after adding a little bit of a stale beer lacto infection.

THIS one, on the other hand....
179075970_453619575702082_6078124879909156675_n.jpg
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

I often have thought about this also.
Toxxyc
Swill Maker

Post by Toxxyc »

If you have ever distilled an infected beer, you know why a whisky dunder pit won't work. Where an infected rum dunder produces fruity, light, sweet flavours, a whisky infection produces vomit, stinky feet, gym socks and burnt rubber. Been there, done that, never again.
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

Toxxyc wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:41 am If you have ever distilled an infected beer, you know why a whisky dunder pit won't work. Where an infected rum dunder produces fruity, light, sweet flavours, a whisky infection produces vomit, stinky feet, gym socks and burnt rubber. Been there, done that, never again.
You're taking about distilling an infected beer - no one said anything about infecting an entire wash and distilling it. That would be akin to distilling an entire dunder pit, and I'm pretty sure I have never seen that suggested by anyone.

Some info I have found:

https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styl ... -bacteria/
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

I shall be starting a dunder pit for rum from whisky backset (because I don't have any rum backset and I'm not certain how many cycles of rum making I'll be doing. The plan is to inoculate it with a little molasses to give it a head start and maybe encourage some "rummyness".

Based on some of the comments here it might be interesting to try using dunder (from rum) in a whisky. I've got a bottle of single cask which tastes a little of haribo tangfastics (amongst other flavours) which sounds a lot like dunder style infections albeit not intentional.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers