Simple Sour Mash Single Malt Scottish Whisky

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Simple Sour Mash Single Malt Scottish Whisky

Post by Odin »

Jcrawf,

I am glad you like it! Could you tell some more on the malted barley you used? What kinda peatiness did it have? Mine was only 6 ppm and I think that gets me over like 2 ppm. I like my whisky a bit heavier on peat than that.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
jcrawf
Novice

Post by jcrawf »

Odin wrote:Jcrawf,

I am glad you like it! Could you tell some more on the malted barley you used? What kinda peatiness did it have? Mine was only 6 ppm and I think that gets me over like 2 ppm. I like my whisky a bit heavier on peat than that.

Odin.
I'm not sure what the level of peat was in the barley. I asked when I bought it but the people at my brew shop werent sure. Its not as heavy as a Lagavulin or Laphroaig but its still there. The smokieness sticks with you for a while and I've found myself craving it the last couple of nights. I'll be a good boy and let it be for a little longer to see what it turns into.
jcrawf
Novice

Post by jcrawf »

Time Warp.....
Well here I am almost 6 years later.... A little fatter, balder, and wiser (maybe).

I found a couple of gallons of my last run of this product while cleaning my garage out. I went 4 generations with a simple 2 row barley and 25% backset. It got tucked behind some unused renovation supplies and was secretly aging in my garage which has temp fluctuations from 3c in the winter to around 30c in the summer. Its been aging at 63% on a little charred oak spiral and has picked up a very deep color.
I diluted it down to 40% and gave it a try. It reminded me of one of my favorite blended whiskeys (The Famous Grouse) but was much smoother with absolutely no bite to it at all. I am so happy with this that I going to start more 15 gallon batches and tucking them away for a few years in the attic or garage.

I made this just after building my trusty bok and admittedly could have made cleaner cuts for more sweetness but I was younger and ambitious. I was more interested in quantity with acceptable quality. Im now all about quality and make very aggressive cuts based mostly on taste.

I've been running mostly neutrals over the last couple of years but I'm back on the whiskey after tasting this. I'm even considering a dedicated pot still for my whiskey but wondering how much of difference it would make over a detuned bok.
Anyway... all this to say, Well done, Odin!! I was a fan of this 5 years ago and I'm a bigger fan today.

Im going to run and age this against a traditional AG Mash of the same barley to compare. Maybe I'll have another report in 5 years :P

still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Hey jcrawf,

Don’t post your pictures on a 3rd party host...they’ll dissappear in time and your thread will become useless. Shrink them to 800x800 pixels and post them on this website. They’ll stay with the thread that way.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K