Walnut Brandy / Dio Palinka

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Monkeyman88
Rumrunner

Re: Walnut Brandy / Dio Palinka

Post by Monkeyman88 »

Any methanol will come out before and during the heads. There shouldn't be any in the hearts cut.

The only minimum amount that can go in your still is enough that if you use electric, that your element is covered and then some more.
screin
Novice

Post by screin »

Thanks Monkeyman!

So, you are sayint that with 25L electric i can try to distill 1 liter of walnut liker? I'ts like 5-6 cm above the bottom.

Cheers,
Screin
Monkeyman88
Rumrunner

Post by Monkeyman88 »

As long as your element is covered and then more to make sure that your element will not become uncovered during the run.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Monkeyman88 wrote:Any methanol will come out before and during the heads. There shouldn't be any in the hearts cut.
It's an illusion, that you could remove methanol with a still. The boiling point is too similar to ethanol. And methanol has no strong taste effect to the spirit. That's different to ethylacetate and acetaldehyde.

Sorry, all my research I do first in german language. It's from a german official food and health department:
https://www.lgl.bayern.de/lebensmittel/ ... thanol.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
"Methanol lässt sich aufgrund seines sehr ähnlichen Siedepunktes von Ethanol destillativ nur mit einer sehr aufwendigen technologischen Ausrüstung abtrennen, die in Kleinbrennereien in der Regel nicht vorhanden ist."
Translated:
Methanol...similar boiling point to ethanol...no removal in "small distilleries". (I'm not sure, if they mean a potstill or a still with some plates too.)

"Der Gesetzgeber hat wegen der Toxizität des Methanols EU-weit rohstoffabhängige Grenzwerte festgelegt. Für Brand aus Williams-Christ-Birnen ist beispielsweise der bei Früchten höchste Methanolgehalt von 1.350 g/hl reiner Alkohol (r. A.), entsprechend 1,7 % vol Methanol bezogen auf r. A. zulässig. Für Wodka dagegen beträgt der Methanolhöchstgehalt rohstoffbedingt lediglich 10 g/hl r. A., entsprechend 0,01 % vol Methanol, bezogen auf r. A."
Loosely translated:
In the european union are limits for methanol. They vary extreme depending on the type of spirit. For example:
Williams pear: 1350g/hl, that means 1.7vol% methanol!
Wodka: only 10g/hl, 0.01vol%

My conclusion:
Of course methanol in wodka is same poisonous as in williams. So this limits are questionable. But they demonstrate, that even commercial distillers have no possibility to achieve a low-methanol spirit, when they distill a high-methanol wash as williams or grappa.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

The boiling points arent similar at all. Methanol 148.5F Ethanol 173.1F
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Jimbo wrote:The boiling points arent similar at all. Methanol 148.5F Ethanol 173.1F
Acetaldehyd is 68.2F. Thats what I would call not similar.

Next try from a german agriculture sience department:
https://www.landwirtschaft-bw.info/pb/,Lde/644591" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
"Die bisherigen Brennversuche, auch der Kollegen Dr. Adam und lic.rer.nat. Georges zeigen auf, daß durch verschiedene Brenntechniken der Methanolgehalt im Mittelauf kaum beeinflußt werden kann. Bei den Versuchen mit verschiedenen „Katalysatoren" zeichnen sich noch keine wegweisenden Befunde ab. Lediglich relativ teure Silberwolle als Adsorbenz führte zu Methanolreduzierungen von bis zu 20 %. Hier wird noch weiter experimentiert. Am Hoffnungsvollsten erscheint nach den Untersuchungen von Adam, Georges und ergänzend von uns die Verwendung von Reinzuchthefen beim Vergären. Warum es allerdings hier von Heferasse zu Heferasse deutliche Unterschiede gibt, liegt hypothetisch daran, daß die einzelnen Rassen anscheinend abweichend voneinander die Pektinesterase und damit die Freisetzung von Methanol aus Pektin hemmen können. Jedenfalls lassen sich hier um bis zu 20 % erniedrigte Methanolgehalte in den späteren Destillaten erhalten."
loosely translated:
Our results are, that the several distilling technics don't affect the amount of methanol in the hearts. Only attempts with expensive silver wool as catalyst reduced the methanol by 20%. More studies will follow. But most promising are tests with different types of yeast, that produce different amounts of methanol, probably because of their different handling with pectines. This should result in 20% less methanol in the final spirit.

And something in english:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatured_alcohol" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
"Methanol is commonly used both because its boiling point is close to that of ethanol and because it is toxic."
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Methanol is a different beast all together. During distillation it's qualities change, that's why it is not easily compacted and/or discarded/separated. There is a thread on that somewhere else. Back on Walnut Brandy?

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Odin wrote:Back on Walnut Brandy?
:thumbup:
I don't have the palate of a chef, and I'm not good at describing flavors yet, but let me just say: This shit is good!
Coming up on 6 months since I beat my nuts out of the tree, and I couldn't be happier. Beautiful color, a few shades darker than cola, but light will sparkle through it now.
The spices are very well balanced, the medicinal effect of the walnuts has calmed down. It's not too far off from a spiced rum & pepsi, if your hands were covered with green black walnut husk essence.
Of everything I've made so far, this will be my go-to crowd pleaser. Quite unique, just sweet enough for everyone to embrace, very flavorful, sneaky alcohol, this one will guarantee ohh's and ahh's.
More often than not I'll grab for my whiskey, but this is a nice show-off drink. And, like homemade Kaluha, you can tell people you made this. Just say you used vodka, don't tell them you made the neutral...
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:you can tell people you made this. Just say you used vodka, don't tell them you made the neutral...
Yes! Christmas is coming! This year it will be macerated plum-stones (I mashed plums this year), Fake-Amaretto.

The methanol in tails -discussion is here:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 33&t=40606

Ok Odin, you are right, back on walnut brandy...
screin
Novice

Post by screin »

It's almost time! What do you think, should I sacrifice my apple palinka, or the sugarhead cornflakes faux whiskey will do it?

Cheers,
Screin
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Apple palinka is the normal source for this recipe. On the other hand ... it needs aging time, so if you make it now, it won't be good for Christmass. 6 months + is my advice on aging.

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
screin
Novice

Post by screin »

It works the otherway around here in Kiwiland... Jule to July ;-)
But still i will be able to drink it at midwinter time!

I'll sacrifice my 2liters 75% abv applepalinka to macerate walnut, and use 6 liter 40% neutral with some cornflakes stuff to maceration and redistillation.

*crossing fingers*

PS: neutral / cornflakes has been cut properly. If I macerate green wlanut in it and redistilling it, how much foreshot can come out? I'll try to smell it but i think the walnut will have a strong aroma.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

This is not a redistill recipe.

Regards, Odin.
screin
Novice

Post by screin »

i'm using your recipe for the infused stuff and der wu's recipe for the redistillation stuff
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Stop the madness, this recipe rocks, don't screw with it or you will regret it.
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:Stop the madness, this recipe rocks, don't screw with it or you will regret it.
Word !!!

Don't make me git onna plane and give the transgressors/heathens a visit !!!!
Blah, blah, blah,........
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

FreeMountainHermit wrote:
MichiganCornhusker wrote:Stop the madness, this recipe rocks, don't screw with it or you will regret it.
Word !!!

Don't make me git onna plane and give the transgressors/heathens a visit !!!!

Amen!
panikry83
Swill Maker

Post by panikry83 »

Made myself a liter or so of this using the recipe on page 1. Seems like I'm getting the same results as everyone else. Gonna let it go two more weeks then strain it off and let it mellow until xmas. My question is, I'm kinda nervous to drink it lol. I know how toxic juglan can be to wildlife so, I'm weirded out by the fact that it's in a drink I made that I plan to share with my friends and family. How much am I over thinking this? Am I just being silly at this point?
MichiganCornhusker
retired

I've drunk up the better part of a fifth in less than a year and I don't feel any worse for wear.
At least not that I can tell.

My tree isn't producing nuts this year so I need to start conserving what I made last year!
panikry83
Swill Maker

Post by panikry83 »

I understand you'll be over at shine's place in a few weeks. If so I can bring you some fresh picked from my trees it's a bit past the date but if you're interested I'll see what I can do, and thanks for the quick reply
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by JellybeanCorncob »

I just put up 2 liters for aging. I made a liter a little over a year ago and it's fantastic. I'm trying to save some for my post thanksgiving meal. I always eat too much and it's suppose to have medicinal qualities that aid in digestion. I had two and a half shots after a big meal about a month ago and the only side effect was I got drunk. :lol: In my newbie opinion, 1 year aging at least.
j.C.
JBC
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

After making Dio Palinka, you can recycle the walnuts for a yummy dessert!
The story goes on here:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 57&t=62544
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

der wo wrote:
Monkeyman88 wrote:Any methanol will come out before and during the heads. There shouldn't be any in the hearts cut.
It's an illusion, that you could remove methanol with a still. The boiling point is too similar to ethanol. And methanol has no strong taste effect to the spirit. That's different to ethylacetate and acetaldehyde.

"Der Gesetzgeber hat wegen der Toxizität des Methanols EU-weit rohstoffabhängige Grenzwerte festgelegt. Für Brand aus Williams-Christ-Birnen ist beispielsweise der bei Früchten höchste Methanolgehalt von 1.350 g/hl reiner Alkohol (r. A.), entsprechend 1,7 % vol Methanol bezogen auf r. A. zulässig. Für Wodka dagegen beträgt der Methanolhöchstgehalt rohstoffbedingt lediglich 10 g/hl r. A., entsprechend 0,01 % vol Methanol, bezogen auf r. A."
Loosely translated:
In the european union are limits for methanol. They vary extreme depending on the type of spirit. For example:
Williams pear: 1350g/hl, that means 1.7vol% methanol!
Wodka: only 10g/hl, 0.01vol%
That is 1.350 gr/hl r.A.! So not per hectolitre drink, but per hectolitre reines Alkohol or absolute alcohol (funny enough: a.a. ) Which means: 13,5 gr per litre a.a. or 5,4 gr = 6,75 ml methanol per litre 40 %ABV Willams pear brandy. Only 0,675 %BV methanol!
According to a Dutch site of internists the lethal dose is said to be 1 or 2 ml per kg bodyweight, but blindness and death have been reported after a dose of 0,1 ml/kg bw. So if your body weighs about 80 kg, you should drink less than 8 ml methanol: not more than a whole litre of Williams pear brandy!
And you can safely drink 135 litres of 40 %ABV wodka!
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

On topic again:
yesterday I collected 42 grüne Nüsse, weighing about 400 grams. I collected them from a row of walnuttrees that are more or less common property, so I wanted to be modest.
That is too little to make a Geist, but I can make some Dio Palinka and Orahovac.
(Just looked it up: Orahovac or Rahovec is a town in Kosovo.)
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

St Johns day is coming up!
I won't be home this weekend so I made a batch early. I saved some walnuts in the freezer for when I make some neutral.

I'm interested in how these will turn out.
Attachments
Dio palinka2.png
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Soon will turn black. Starting from the top.
just sayin
Rumrunner

Post by just sayin »

Today is Saint John's Day, go harvest your nuts!
MDH
Distiller

Post by MDH »

I'm doing this with a new method this year: I am combining neutral with them, doing three different infusions of the whole, unchopped walnuts. Each infusion will be only a day long, in order to extract the pleasant aroma from the skin, but none of the bitterness. I am then sweetening it with clarified clover honey.
The still is not a liar. Mash and ferment quality is 99.9% of your performance.
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

Kareltje wrote:Soon will turn black. Starting from the top.
Well, the bottle I've stored in the cellar is black. The one I left on the windowsill is still green, although it's only been 4 days.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

I hope y’all got some nuts this week, I know I did.
This is one of my favorite recipes and probably the one most raved about by my friends. :thumbup:

I’ve tasted a few good commercial nocino style liqueurs and this is even better.
And so easy to make, I highly recommend trying it if you haven’t.