Black Currant Pie? No ... it is actually Creme de Cassis!

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Black Currant Pie? No ... it is actually Creme de Cassis!

Post by Odin »

Okay, so Apple Pie inspired me. And the "pie" in Apple Pie got me thinking. What would go in a (eatable) black currant pie? And how would that translate to a drinkable Black Currant Pie? And would that taste any good?

So I did some reading, bought some things and an currently on my way to try this. This is my recipe. It is just about to be ready, so I can only elaborate on taste in a few days time.

1.5 liter of black currant juice
1 liter of 50% neutral or white dog
3 cinnamon sticks
3 cloves
100 grams of peacanuts
200 grams of sugar

I put the juice in a pan, added sugar, cinnamon, cloves and peacanuts. Brought everything to a boil. Kept it boiling for a minute. Let it cool. Filtered it thru a coffee filter.

I am adding the liter of white dog as we speak.

Should give an interesting drink of about 20%. Probably best when cooled.

Some pics:
Attachments
Black Currant Apple Pie in the making.JPG
Black Currant Juice.JPG
Last edited by Odin on Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Black Currant Pie? No ... it is actually Creme de Cassis

Post by Odin »

Update.

Okay, so I couldn't restrain myself. Had to poor myself a glass. Cooled it with a bit of ice, swirled it around a bit and took a sip.

Now ... I know that taste! It got me thinking and thinking.

And then it struck me: it reminded me of a Kir Royal. A champagne based cocktail: A bit of Creme de Casis in a champagne flute (like a centimeter and a half) and than champagne on top. Great drink. Makes the bubbly all rose.

Looked up "Kirsch", but that is a "white" drink. And not made from black currant. Looked up "Kir" and found about the "Kir Royal": with Creme de Casis.

So ... I wanted to make some kinda Apple Pie, but with a different fruit. And made myself a Creme de Casis in the process.

Actually, when you think about it, it is not so strange. "Cassis" is French for Black Currant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kir_Royal_(cocktail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creme_de_cassis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Attachments
My Creme de Cassis with a bottle of Champagne on the side
My Creme de Cassis with a bottle of Champagne on the side
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
MDH
Distiller

Post by MDH »

While in New York I tried a brandy distilled entirely from Black Currants. The distributer/rep gave me some ridiculous number about the amount of berries required to make a single bottle, but I would say it was all worth it. The taste was absolutely fantastic. Lush black currant with dry notes a little reminiscent of Merlot wine.

I like Creme de Cassis but I would love to see a distilled black currant recipe of some sort.
The still is not a liar. Mash and ferment quality is 99.9% of your performance.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

"The distributer/rep gave me some ridiculous number about the amount of berries required to make a single bottle, but I would say it was all worth it."

as sugar is not allowed in brandy ferments,so it either all fruit brandy. or a flavored brandy witch is grape brandy with fruit added after for flavor.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Great story guys!

A Creme de Cassis is made by adding sugar to berries in order to extract taste. Brandy is added. Looks a bit like the pantydropper way.

With my method I found a very easy way to make it quick and good.

Not gracy about Creme de Cassis pure, but for the girls to mix things with ...

Great.

Very happy with the outcome.

Odin.
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

I have a about three - five pounds of organic and local black currants in the freezer. My wife said, "what are you going to do with them, put them in alcohol?" I hadn't thought of it until she said that and now this thread. The stars are lining up just about right, I think.
I do all my own stunts
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

BD,

That cannot be a coincidence ...

And you might make a drink that especially Mss Drunk might like. With 7-up, with Tonic, with a dry white wine ...

Odin.
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

Odin, last year I made something similar using rhubarb. Technically it's a vegetable but by slight of hand the US legislated it to be a fruit (must be something to do with more taxes).

At parties it is always the hands-down favorite with the ladies.

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Interesting that you say that. Just had a colleague of mine telling me about how "Rubarbcello" will be next year's hit. I guess the guys making it use a kind of Limoncello recipe. Curious to find out about your recipe, Big R!

Odin.
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Bummer, now my wife wants to make a pie, or something, with the black currants :shock: That doesn't seem fair.
I do all my own stunts
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Life ain't fair, BD. Sorry for your loss. But ... if your supermarket has a high end (you know with some pulp in it) black currant juice, you can go ahead and try my recipe. You both will be very happy!

;)

Odin.
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

Odin wrote:Interesting that you say that. Just had a colleague of mine telling me about how "Rubarbcello" will be next year's hit. I guess the guys making it use a kind of Limoncello recipe. Curious to find out about your recipe, Big R!

Odin.
Well Odin, I didn't write the recipe down but as I remember: Cook rhubarb with as little water as possible to just barely soften, layer in jar with sugar, and then fill with neutral. I think I added 1/2 vanilla bean and 1/4 cinnamon stick per quart. Shake weekly until sugar dissolved (about 6 weeks) then filter. Makes a delightfully tart drink. I was thinking the black currant would be tart, that's what made me think of it.

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

It is not really tart actually, Big R. Sweet and really THERE. A bit much, a bit thick to drink straight. But as a mixer ... Wooha!
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Picture of a few of the drinks I made recently. From left to right: Creme de Cassis, Apple Pie, Pear Pie.
Attachments
likeur.JPG
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Sorry to revive an old thread! But I am just tasting what is basically maybe one of my last bottles of "my own"! And Cassis it is. And it tastes deliciously! A slight sour to go with a minimal sweetness. Not a sweet mouth. And why don't I have more stash? Because I am doing this now professionally. And then it needs to be accounted for. In the barrel, or in the bottle. The most amazing whisky and gin and rye vodka ... but - with tears in my eyes - I can only look at it. And not drink it.

Life as a HomeDistiller wasn't that bad, looking back at it.

Odin.
Attachments
Old fart drinking booz from yesteryear ...
Old fart drinking booz from yesteryear ...
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

The price we pay for success! I am sure you are enjoying each drop. Going to Norway and Ireland this fall will pick your brain for places to visit in Ireland. Sorry to take the thread a bit off track.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Please do! And why not visit us in the Netherlands? We'd love to show you around a bit, Bushman! For instance ... we have a witch weight in the neighboring city. Certified since 1581. If one ever needs a divorce without loosing half of the capital (and I know you don't, because I have met Barbs and she is just lovely), that's the way to move forward ... Biking, Gouda cheese, a stay at the Woerden Stadshotel ...

But if not ... In Ireland, defiantly go to Listoke Distillery. Just 20 minutes north of Dublin. In a place called Drogheda. Amazing gin school. Amazing team. Ask for James and Bronagh and Blaneth and tell them you know me. Amazing stills, all over the island, even though I am not at liberty to tell you what brand they are! ;)

And otherwise ... please know our customers have taken over 55% of the Irish gin market over the last 2 years. So ... maybe get into g&t a bit? Over half of the place you will visit, will serve a nice one. And the best (Galway) Poitin is made there as well. As well as some of the finest Irish whiskies. Even though some put up an old antiquated copper still in the visitors center ... while - at the same time - behind that wall some stills slightly more modern do the actual work. Among which ... most of the Lidle and Tesco "house" gins. Again, just so you know.

Breara. Boatyard Distillery (up North). Curryglass. Blacks of Kinsale (rum even!). Just five (with Listoke included) out of like 13 distilleries doing something (if not everything) amazing ... and worth your time. Whiskey ... Conamera may be your best choice. Go cask strength. And don't tell anybody I had anything to do with it ...

Odin.